40 Days and 40 Nights

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Well actually we have been dealing with our flooding problems longer than that...Started the last week of March- and had water over the roads- or tore up washed out roads since April 4th....Grandma spent 22 days living in town because she couldn't get home....And now the water is over the road again and the river is 4 1/2 feet above flood stage-Gma has moved back to town-- and the Weather folks are predicting 1-3 inches of rain thru Tuesday....
Are we having fun yet? :???:

It always seems to be too much or not enough. Never get just the right amount. It's been that way here for three years. So dry you think you are gonna have to cull down pretty hard then the flood gates open, then back the other way again.

Oldtimer":a9gx3wnt said:
Well actually we have been dealing with our flooding problems longer than that...Started the last week of March- and had water over the roads- or tore up washed out roads since April 4th....Grandma spent 22 days living in town because she couldn't get home....And now the water is over the road again and the river is 4 1/2 feet above flood stage-Gma has moved back to town-- and the Weather folks are predicting 1-3 inches of rain thru Tuesday....
Are we having fun yet? :???:

Those of us in a draught might think you are not that bad off

Picked up .35" during the night-- but the ground is so saturated that everything runs off- and causes more flooding...Predicting heavy rain for today and tonight (1-2")...
Any amount at this time is too much with few fields seeded- and so much severe flooding....

Even the local Weather Service and their Doppler radar is out of commission because of the flooding....

US National Weather Service Glasgow Montana
Major fiber optic line east of Hardin is flooded, causing a significant communication outage at NWS Glasgow. Please put any rainfall reports and your location on our Facebook page. We are monitoring it... via Verizon cards on laptops. Local calls are getting in to us, but long distance ones are not working. We are still getting forecasts and flood products out through NWS Billings and Great Falls.

I feel for you folks that can't get any moisture...Sure wish we could share...
I've been there in years past- and as they say in this country- even with all this rain "we could be only 3 weeks from a drought".....

Our "green" grass that showed up after our wonderful 2 inches of rain over the last two weeks is turning to toast already....

I luv herfrds":3dahstk9 said:
I see it must now be up. You got a huge cell over you OT. Saw it on accuweather.
just lost a majority of ours too.
http://www.accuweather.com/us/radar/sir ... ?play=true

Yep they got the site and the radar back up and running- but I sure don't like what I see on the radar.... 7PM and we're just over an inch now- with predictions of another inch or more tonight...
They are predicting the Milk may now raise as high or higher than it did the middle of April-- and be a week or two before it goes down....I may be a week or two later than normal putting out bulls- which after last winter I had kind of planned on anyway...

Got a bit of flooding in our basement. All the rain wrecked my old chicken house. Hubby's going to dig a hole and burn it.
Suppose to start getting dried out this next week. i hope so.

We're up to 1.25" now at 9PM... Still raining and predicted to do so all night... With the ground so saturated already- everything is standing water...River rose several inches during the day- and will probably really rise tomorrow here when Willow Creek water hits it....
We've already received almost 12 inches for the water year- which is over what our normal average total moisture (11.5) is for the entire year :shock:

Fort Peck Lake raised 2 feet last week (thats a lotta water) and the Corps is going to start dumping big time to make room for the snow melt coming from the mountains.....

This is not going to help all the Missouri flooding they are already having in the Dakotas....

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GLASGOW MT 451 PM MDT MON MAY 30 2011 ...

FLOODING POSSIBLE ON THE MISSOURI RIVER NEXT WEEK...

THE ARMY CORP OF ENGINEERS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE RELEASES THIS WEEK FROM FORT PECK RESERVOIR. THE RELEASES WILL INCREASE TO 50000 CFS BY JUNE 6. THE MISSOURI RIVER EAST OF FORT PECK WILL BEGIN TO RISE SIGNIFICANTLY THIS WEEK.

AT WOLF POINT...THE MISSOURI RIVER IS FORECASTED TO RISE FROM THE CURRENT LEVEL OF 7.5 FEET ON MAY 30 TO BETWEEN 11 AND 12 FEET ON JUNE 4 OR 5 AND REACH THE FLOOD STAGE OF 13 FEET AROUND JUNE 6 OR 7. A PEAK WATER LEVEL OF 14 TO 15 FEET IS POSSIBLE SOMETIME NEXT WEEK DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH ADDITIONAL WATER FLOW FROM THE MILK RIVER CONTRIBUTES TO THE MISSOURI RIVER FLOW AT WOLF POINT.

AT CULBERTSON...THE MISSOURI RIVER IS FORECASTED TO RISE FROM THE CURRENT LEVEL OF 9.2 FEET ON MAY 30 TO NEAR 13 FEET ON JUNE 4 OR 5. A PEAK WATER LEVEL BETWEEN 16 AND 17 FEET IS POSSIBLE SOMETIME NEXT WEEK. FLOOD STAGE AT CULBERTSON IS 19 FEET. THE WATER LEVEL IS DEPENDENT ON HOW MUCH WATER TRIBUTARIES TO THE MISSOURI RIVER INCLUDING THE MILK RIVER ...RED WATER RIVER... POPLAR RIVER AND BIG MUDDY CREEK CONTRIBUTE TO THE MISSOURI RIVER FLOW AT CULBERTSON.

LOWLAND FLOODING IS LIKELY NEAR THE MISSOURI RIVER WITH THE UPCOMING HIGH WATER. PERSONS LIVING ALONG THE MISSOURI RIVER SHOULD START PREPARING TO PROTECT PROPERTY THAT MAY FLOOD AND TO MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND.

Oldtimer - you have my sympathy. It must be quite frightening to have such heavy flooding. I'm in the UK and although we usually see quite a lot of rainfall, at the moment we're having it quite dry and the opposite of you with a fear that we'll soon be on a hosepipe ban, with people fined if they are seen washing their windows, watering the garden or washing their cars! It doesn't seem to matter where we all live, there's always something isn't there. Chin up ... Hope your gran is OK.

I have lived my whole life in country where 40 days and 40 nights is just normal weather 6 months out of the year. But this country is built to handle the water. My daughter who is living out of Musselshell posted some pictures of flooding in Roundup. It is pretty amazing looking for country that normally looks like it rarely gets rain to be underwater.

sorry that your getting hitt so hard by all the flooding.hope it drys up soon so yall can get a cutting of hay.

Latest posts