4 year old bull

Help Support CattleToday:

skeege

Reaction score
I have a bull, a char x angus cross that just turned 4 years old. He's been on a good feed program all of his life. I would estimate his weight to be about 2000 lbs. The deal is this. We have decided it is time for us to give up the cattle business altogether. We sold off most of the herd a year or so ago. Kept the bull and a few cows for a "hobby", but now it's over. What I wonder is would this bull be good to eat? Never gave this any consideration since we always had a good steer preped and ready for slaughter when the freezers ran low. I know I'll take a beating on this animal at the sale barn, I would expect 50 cents a pound, tops. But then I would rather have money in the bank as opposed to a freezer full of meat that ain't fit to eat. Anybody ever butchered an animal comparable to mine? How did it turn out? Thanks -

skeege

I don't know where your at but your bull in good health should bring close to .60. That's what they do with slaughter bulls, sell them for people to eat. Hamburger? there will be a lot of it. I don't know? You would probably get around $1200 for him. That would buy a lot of choice steaks wouldn't it? :nod:

We've butchered a 2 yr. old Red Angus bull before. He had great conditioning on him, and was on full feed for a couple of months before butchering. It was gross. Steaks and roasts were tough. We've even butchered yearling bulls that didn't get sold, and they were bad too. You might get lucky, but more than likely no. Too much testosterone in the meat.

I myself have never butchered one that old, but an old cattleman told me that you can butcher one up to 6 years, as long as he's been cut at least one month for every year of age, to get out that testosteron tast. you may want to ask your vet to make sure.

We have butcherd a Poll Hereford 3 year old bull and we were told that the normal hanging time is 1 week but we got told if we hang it for 3 weeks its should be the same taste as an steer. Good luck

mitch16":14p3ftoh said:
We have butcherd a Poll Hereford 3 year old bull and we were told that the normal hanging time is 1 week but we got told if we hang it for 3 weeks its should be the same taste as an steer. Good luck
??? Hanging time will affect TENDERNESS, but I can't see where it would affect TASTE.
I would sell him & BUY meat - unless you really want that much hamburg. That is what he will be made into. They may pull the loins & the rest hamburg. That's a lot of hamburg for one freezer.

In Feb 07 I butchered a RA at 152 weeks old (3yrs). I banded him at 30 months and he went on feed a month later. He was fed out his last 3 months on a 14/65 loose feed. He did almost excellent. About 62% YG and high Choice Plus to Prime QG. He hung for almost 2 weeks. I would like to have had him hang for 3 weeks but my butcher almost refuses to hang past when the liver goes slick. Standard cutout was/is steaks, roasts and about 45% ground beef. However, he was not as tender as the steers I usually do.

I did have one problem with him. As I said, he went on feed about a month after banding. But 10days into the bring up he coliced and bloated. Since he had been on pasture his whole life, and was already under stress from the banding I should have brought him up on feed slower. That set him back about a month since I had to straighten him out and start over. I also cut the nuts at that time since they were just barely hanging on by then. I bet that sack weighed 10 lbs.

twistedxranch":25b4j15c said:
redluv":25b4j15c said:
We've butchered a 2 yr. old Red Angus bull before. He had great conditioning on him, and was on full feed for a couple of months before butchering. It was gross. Steaks and roasts were tough. We've even butchered yearling bulls that didn't get sold, and they were bad too. You might get lucky, but more than likely no. Too much testosterone in the meat.

I sell virgin yearling bulls for freezer beef every year. Never had any complaints. In fact every year I have more orders than I can fill. You either are not feeding yours right or you are letting them breed cows which gets their testosterone built up and makes em dark cutters. Everyone I talk to on mine say the meat is the most tender and juicy meat they have ever eaten. Again I have more and more people asking me every year just through word of mouth for a freezer calf and I cant supply everyone who wants one. I supply about 13-16 a year.

you really do like to twist things, dont you? :roll:

number one, a virgin yearling bull is completely different to a 2 yr old bull, whom I assume had been working. Redluv never said that the bull was raised specifically for slaughter; redluv was, I believe, giving an example similar to the original poster's situation - whether a mature, working bull is fit to eat. so yes, I imagine redluv DID let him breed cows - since, that is his job :lol2: so its probably not wise to be going and telling someone they need to feed their bulls differently, or stop them from breeding cows LMFAO

number two, how on earth does the eating quality of an intact, yearling bull have any relevance to the original question, which concerned a 4 yr old ex herd sire?

twistedxranch":39qtx4y1 said:
redluv":39qtx4y1 said:

I sell virgin yearling bulls for freezer beef every year. Never had any complaints. In fact every year I have more orders than I can fill. You either are not feeding yours right or you are letting them breed cows which gets their testosterone built up and makes em dark cutters. Everyone I talk to on mine say the meat is the most tender and juicy meat they have ever eaten. Again I have more and more people asking me every year just through word of mouth for a freezer calf and I cant supply everyone who wants one. I supply about 13-16 a year.
Depends on the breed.

showing71":3nif1fvf said:
twistedxranch":3nif1fvf said:
redluv":3nif1fvf said:

Depends on the breed.

Also depends on the individual animal

Nope. Send him to market. He'll be worth more that way than his weight in mince and sausages. BAD mince and sausages I might add. If you want some beef use the money to buy a steer or something.

mnmtranching":hdgddx0c said:
I don't know where your at but your bull in good health should bring close to .60. That's what they do with slaughter bulls, sell them for people to eat. Hamburger? there will be a lot of it. I don't know? You would probably get around $1200 for him. That would buy a lot of choice steaks wouldn't it? :nod:

You were pretty close there mnmtranching. Hauled the old boy today and took in $62.50/100wt.He weighed in at 1700 lbs. Top selling bull in the ring today. Sold for a breeder, which I was kinda glad to see. Sellin out ain't easy, just nessessary.

skeege":3ex6i1wv said:
mnmtranching":3ex6i1wv said:

You were pretty close there mnmtranching. Hauled the old boy today and took in $62.50/100wt.He weighed in at 1700 lbs. Top selling bull in the ring today. Sold for a breeder, which I was kinda glad to see. Sellin out ain't easy, just nessessary.

Good to hear, makes it easier to part with him, doesnt it :D

Keren":2ok989cz said:
skeege":2ok989cz said:
mnmtranching":2ok989cz said:

Good to hear, makes it easier to part with him, doesnt it :D

Yup

Latest posts