4-wheeler vs. Horse

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm happy to see the four wheelers taking over the midwestern cattle belt. The only good horse is a dead horse. Honda Power.

There are pluses to a four-wheeler. I've never had a cow take something that makes that much noise. But you can't take a four-wheeler through alot of the places you can take a horse...

[email protected]

Never seen a 4 wheeler spend a 360 in an alley way while work cattle - nor would I want to tie off on one if doctoring.

i've found that if i cant' get there with a four wheeler then either will the cattle, this is rounding up in a large pasture. Never had a fourwheeler in an alley. Real men can sort in an alley on foot.

> I'm happy to see the four wheelers
> taking over the midwestern cattle
> belt. The only good horse is a
> dead horse. Honda Power. Why even make this post? Don't you have higher level of thought embedded somewhere?

I have noticed alot of the older generation using 4 wheelers. However there are still alot of folks who perfer horses.We live in high moutains that are streight up and down a 4 wheeler would kill the rider so we use horses and cattle drives.Everone comes togeather and helps. Its still a part of the old west and a lesson in history. Thank you we share these times with our kids.They see a part of the past and a part of the future..Just a thought.

[email protected]

It's BlackPower...he's either stirring things up or giving out some useful knowledge sometimes both at the same time. Read on the cattle boards and you'll understand.

[email protected]

> i've found that if i cant' get
> there with a four wheeler then
> either will the cattle, this is
> rounding up in a large pasture.
> Never had a fourwheeler in an
> alley. Real men can sort in an
> alley on foot.

I have to say up front that I love horses, but I don't really care to spend my cow working time horseback. We prefert to keep the horses for recreation. I know some of you think working cows on a horse is the romantic "cowboy" thing to do but we prefer to call our cows in the trap with a sack of cubes. If we can't get em all that way out comes the four-wheeler. I love the cowboy life as much as anyone but the four-wheeler is sure easier than catching a horse, saddling a horse, and taking a chance on injuring the horse in any number of ways. Then when you get through the horse still has to be tended. Just turn the key off on the four-wheeler. As far as sorting cows in a pen, even if we penned on horseback, the cows can be handled much easier and quicker on foot using an alley and gate. I can play cowboy in my spare time, and do quite often I might add. Horseback riding, cowboy poetry, old west re-enactments, etc.

> i've found that if i cant' get
> there with a four wheeler then
> either will the cattle, this is
> rounding up in a large pasture.
> Never had a fourwheeler in an
> alley. Real men can sort in an
> alley on foot.

My cattle go places my 4-wheeler can't. The 4-wheeler never has been good for crossing a deep creek, or downed tree, and it won't reach out and bite that B#%*$ that keeps circling the hay ring like my horse will.

I do grab the 4-wheeler quite often to run out and check on or move cattle, but when it is muddy I take the horse. I've never had a horse cover me with mud like a 4-wheeler will on a messy day.

Ever try to jerk a rank one away with a nylon rope dallied to your handlebars? I'd like to see that Honda move some woods cows out of a good cypress stand too. Don't get me wrong. I have a few ATv's, but horses definitely have their place.

> dead horse. Honda Power.

> dead horse. Honda Power.

On a horse there are two sets of eyes looking out for trouble. A four wheeler can't watch your butt. I've seen four wheelers torn up by an agressive cow that wasn't seen in time. Horses have their own eyes, and even if there not looking out for you, they are not going to let a cow hook them.

> On a horse there are two sets of
> eyes looking out for trouble. A
> four wheeler can't watch your
> butt. I've seen four wheelers torn
> up by an agressive cow that wasn't
> seen in time. Horses have their
> own eyes, and even if there not
> looking out for you, they are not
> going to let a cow hook them.

I Fourwheeler can't but I sure as the hell can.

[email protected]

I think that both sides are right.....but, I do tend to stick with the horse. I like 4-wheelers & I like horses. Both can brake, both take money & time. But out on the open range wouldn't you rather talk to a horse that knows english & understands then a motor with no brains what so ever. You can take horses almost everywhere. Sure they eat & that costs but doesn't gas??? DUH!!!!!! So really I'd rather take a horse...& besides isn't this a place to talk about horses....END OF DISCUSSION on the 4-wheelers go find someone who cares. I love horses & always will!!!!!!!

ELLIE MAY

[email protected]

I would like to see "real man"blackpower sort some of those old ringy desert bred brahma crosses on foot. Seen a New York farm boy try to check some during calving with a four wheeler. Old girl rolled him and the 4 wheeler. Broke up some of the plastic and broke some ribs. Took a "real man" on a horse to pull her off of him!! :lol: :cboy:

I'm still reeling from the first post. I'm not impressed. I wouldn't wish anything dead, be it my horse or 4 wheeler and have no intention of going to the cattle forum and reading more of his crap.

Although this post could work you up pretty easily--I wouldn't give up on the Q & A Board just yet--seeing as how that topic is over a year old and "Blackpower" is no longer allowed to post! There's not a whole lot of horse talk, but then again, that's why it's "Cattle Today" :D

I have had cows hit 4 - wheelers before. They just need to moved on them and eventually some of the meaner ones will think about taking on a bike,.

Jake":3nfchmzd said:
There are pluses to a four-wheeler. I've never had a cow take something that makes that much noise. But you can't take a four-wheeler through alot of the places you can take a horse...

[email protected]

Personally the only thing the quads are good for around here is fixing fence in tame pastures or zooming ahead to open a gate. An oldtimer up here gave me grey hairs last spring when he tried to break up a bull fight while riding his quad when moving a herd of cows from one of his brother-in-law's pastures to the next. He's a grand old fella, but darn near got mowed down!

Marianne, Did you folks have many mares expecting this spring? Hope you're getting a break from this cold snap. It's almost tropical here right now. Only ten below and I'm loving it...just about didn't want to come in from choring.

Take care.

BLACKPOWER said:
> On a horse there are two sets of
> eyes looking out for trouble. A
> four wheeler can't watch your
> butt. I've seen four wheelers torn
> up by an agressive cow that wasn't
> seen in time. Horses have their
> own eyes, and even if there not
> looking out for you, they are not
> going to let a cow hook them.

I Fourwheeler can't but I sure as the hell can.

[email protected]

So you can watch where you are going and see behind you at the same time? I'm impressed. I haven't been to the cattle pages in a while, but he has lots of this useless rabble on there.

Hi Cattle Annie
Yes we are expecting one foal in May after calving season is done. Yes we are getting a break from the cold snap +7 degrees celsuis this morning.

It is very scary watching people chase bulls with quads. We do it on occasion but very rarely. Best to use the horse.

Marianne

CattleAnnie":v4y50ye4 said:
Marianne, Did you folks have many mares expecting this spring? Hope you're getting a break from this cold snap. It's almost tropical here right now. Only ten below and I'm loving it...just about didn't want to come in from choring.

Take care.

Latest posts