4 wheeler mounted weed wipers

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer Z

Reaction score
Anybody had experience using a 4-wheeler mounted weed wiper to combat Smutgrass? I've got two pastures that have about been taken over. I'd say that 30-40% of those fields are Smutgrass. I need to deal with the problem this Spring. I really like the idea of the wiper. I'm scared to try the Valpar herbicide...don't want to kill my oak trees. I understand that can happen.

I made one first and it did not work to well. Then I borrowed one from a neighbor and that one worked good. Once I saw one I figured why mine did not work.

I bought a 10 footer at farmfest for less then 200 bucks. I figured that by the time I had it figured out how to make it work right I would have more then that tied up in material time and wasted herbicide.

Stocker Steve":2oiqblub said:
dun":2oiqblub said:
I bought a 10 footer at farmfest for less then 200 bucks.

Do you have a company address or phone number?
As soon as it quits raining enough to go wandering outside I'll get it.

dun":1qk34nuz said:
I bought a 10 footer at farmfest for less then 200 bucks. I figured that by the time I had it figured out how to make it work right I would have more then that tied up in material time and wasted herbicide.

Did you buy their brackets to mount it to an ATV?
Would you still get the 10'6" wide model?

Stocker Steve":popw7tqk said:
dun":popw7tqk said:

Did you buy their brackets to mount it to an ATV?
Would you still get the 10'6" wide model?
I'm fabricating my own. Yes I like the width, almost thought of getting a couple of 6s and hooking them togehter

Farmer Z":3i4iitaq said:
Anybody had experience using a 4-wheeler mounted weed wiper to combat Smutgrass? I've got two pastures that have about been taken over. I'd say that 30-40% of those fields are Smutgrass. I need to deal with the problem this Spring. I really like the idea of the wiper. I'm scared to try the Valpar herbicide...don't want to kill my oak trees. I understand that can happen.
What chemical are you planning to use to kill the smutgrass? I don't think you could get the volume of chemical to kill it with a weed wiper. I've used a 2% Roundup spray to spot spray smutgrass.

Fred - I would be using a real strong glysophate (RoundUp) solution. You know, that stuff comes in all kinds of different percentages. I'd select something like 41%. That ought to kill anything. I'm still not sure how just wiping it on the top of the plant stems actually gets a kill but I'm going to try. Folks have used wipers for everything else with success. I'm hoping it'll knock out the Smutgrass.

Farmer Z":s3c762yw said:
Fred - I would be using a real strong glysophate (RoundUp) solution. You know, that stuff comes in all kinds of different percentages. I'd select something like 41%. That ought to kill anything. I'm still not sure how just wiping it on the top of the plant stems actually gets a kill but I'm going to try. Folks have used wipers for everything else with success. I'm hoping it'll knock out the Smutgrass.
Does smut grass have any kind of a waxy surface? If it does you might want to use a sticker with it or even Dawn dish soap

Good point, Dun. I will be using a high-grade surfactant in order to get a good "stick". I finally got an email reply from Quality Metals Works around finding a local vendor for the Speidel ATV mount wiper. They have a seller about 65 miles from me. I plan to check it out sometime this winter.

Latest posts