4 wheeler for work/rough conditions

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
I have an 02 Polaris 500 sportsman that is starting to cost me for upkeep. I put close to a thousand in a bike, that I was just offered 900 for on tradein, thinking that would do it for a few years. Just broke a hub and they have been discontinued though Polaris. So now we are getting to the point of finding parts may become an issue too.

I am researching a new four wheeler purchase and leaning toward a Honda Rubicon 500 DCT auto trans/IRS independent rear suspension and possibly EPS electronic power steering. Cost will be upwards of 9 to 10k it appears. Quite a chunk for a wheeler. I was told a straight axle is the way to go, but I dont think I can get one with the DCT trans. Have been told that Honda uses formed rubber bushings for suspension on the IRS and shouldn't have any trouble. Not a grease fitting on it, supposedly.

I like the Polaris, and it's cheaper, but if they have not improved the bushing setup then I don't see a new one lasting long.

It's use is for the farm, twice a day or all day, and all the exposure that goes with it. And I have better things to do than wash and grease a four wheeler every day. I need something that can persevere with little to no frequent maintenance. All fluid and filter changes to be done on schedule as recommended. Having to grease so often, or replace bushings twice a year, is not going to work.

What works for you, or anyone you know, that uses a wheeler this way?

You are looking at the right brand, wrong bike. If you want something about as reliable and tough as you can get for a farm quad look at Honda's Rancher or Foreman with a foot shifter.
I have their predecessor in a 300 4x4 that is almost 25 years old and still running like a top. Dad has a Foreman that he bought new in 99 that has been just as reliable. You might look around the used market for ATVs. You can get some pretty good deals since most people are switching to side by sides.

what he said...I had a kaw prairie 300 for 15 yrs...just sold it for a mule last summer..i miss it. other than a starter it had zero issues..boots..cvs still got with almost 5k on it..never left our ranch

I have a Yamaha Big Bear 400 and it's tough as nails. It's a 2000 model. I have never done anything to it but change the oil and spark plug. Iam not sure if they even still make the big bear. I agree with Hillbilly the Hondas are good also.

stay away from honda's and the auto shift trans.

you'll get way more for your money with a yamaha.

talltimber":3mjqd1on said:
I have an 02 Polaris 500 sportsman that is starting to cost me for upkeep. I put close to a thousand in a bike, that I was just offered 900 for on tradein, thinking that would do it for a few years. Just broke a hub and they have been discontinued though Polaris. So now we are getting to the point of finding parts may become an issue too.

I am researching a new four wheeler purchase and leaning toward a Honda Rubicon 500 DCT auto trans/IRS independent rear suspension and possibly EPS electronic power steering. Cost will be upwards of 9 to 10k it appears. Quite a chunk for a wheeler. I was told a straight axle is the way to go, but I dont think I can get one with the DCT trans. Have been told that Honda uses formed rubber bushings for suspension on the IRS and shouldn't have any trouble. Not a grease fitting on it, supposedly.

I like the Polaris, and it's cheaper, but if they have not improved the bushing setup then I don't see a new one lasting long.

It's use is for the farm, twice a day or all day, and all the exposure that goes with it. And I have better things to do than wash and grease a four wheeler every day. I need something that can persevere with little to no frequent maintenance. All fluid and filter changes to be done on schedule as recommended. Having to grease so often, or replace bushings twice a year, is not going to work.

What works for you, or anyone you know, that uses a wheeler this way?

Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki are the ones worth looking at.

Our Polaris machines have very little hours and are mostly falling apart.

I'd look for a big single cylinder, belt drive, 4x4. Kawasaki Praire, Suzuki King Quad, Yamaha Grizzly, Honda Forman, etc.

Have a 88 Honda TRX 300, 2001 Honda Rancher 350 and a 2002 Honda Foreman 450. Through the years have spent very little on them. They have nothing fancy on them, but so far nothing has torn up either. If in good shape the Honda 300 model is hard to beat as they made them from 1988-2000.

I have a 03 Yamaha Grizzly and a 95 Kodiak, no problems besides a clutch, carburetor issues and brakes. Both have been sunk, rolled and totally abused by teenagers.

jltrent":3falkxon said:
Have a 88 Honda TRX 300,
I have an 87 250TRX. Easy starting, runs strong. I left it sit for over a year, then it went under water in sept 17 flood and I never even looked at it as it sat full of flood water until April 2018. A little carb and electric work and changed all the fluids and it's been run every day since. Took less than $100 to get it running again, including fuel, oils and a cable. Looks like something out of Road Warrior but a tough little machine.
Back when I 1st started getting it running again.

ddd75 what's wrong with the auto shift?

I have an 03 Rancher 350 that has been a great machine and it has the dreaded electronic shift. Its been over used and abused but keeps on ticking. The only replacement part has been a starter. The electronic shift angle sensor was done under a recall. Its now my spot spray rig.

bird dog":1p6pih62 said:
ddd75 what's wrong with the auto shift?

I have an 03 Rancher 350 that has been a great machine and it has the dreaded electronic shift. Its been over used and abused but keeps on ticking. The only replacement part has been a starter. The electronic shift angle sensor was done under a recall. Its now my spot spray rig.
I ordered new brushes from an Ebay seller a couple years ago, replaced in my starter and it has worked good since on my 350 Rancher, cheap fix.

greybeard":3myp3ckt said:
jltrent":3myp3ckt said:
Have a 88 Honda TRX 300,
I have an 87 250TRX. Easy starting, runs strong. I left it sit for over a year, then it went under water in sept 17 flood and I never even looked at it as it sat full of flood water until April 2018. A little carb and electric work and changed all the fluids and it's been run every day since. Took less than $100 to get it running again, including fuel, oils and a cable. Looks like something out of Road Warrior but a tough little machine.
Back when I 1st started getting it running again.

I have ridden one just like that as I think it was an 87 also. They are good 4-wheelers. That one looks better than the 88 TRX I have. I bought it used and it looked like it had sat outside all its life. I painted the plastic and did what I could to help as new plastic is very expensive.

Mine was a spot spray rig too til the tank floated away. I think this pic was from 2013. I had to stuff a bunch of crap in there because we are going out of town for a week.

pricefarm":130lyyu0 said:
I have a Yamaha Big Bear 400 and it's tough as nails. It's a 2000 model. I have never done anything to it but change the oil and spark plug. Iam not sure if they even still make the big bear. I agree with Hillbilly the Hondas are good also.
I have a 1996 Big bear 350.. bought it for $100, it had been sitting under a tree for a decade.. cleaned the carb and fuel system, runs like a top.. has some tranny problems, but dang that thing has had a hard life.. Cows seem to particularly like chewing on it too

Yeah trent I saw that after I removed it. They would be simple to fix. The new starter also came from ebay so price wise , it wasn't to bad. The old one is in a box on a shelf with a note on it saying "honda starter needs brushes". I'm sure I'll never need it or be able to find it when I do.

Hard to beat a Honda Rancher with auto trans, IRS, and power steering. Ranchers are probably the best deal and they offer allot of versions to fit the budget.

I am not sure I would spend 10k on a ATV/UTV. I have an old Kawasaki Bayou 250 that's like a Timex. Its been through both my boys and now I use it for fence work/spot spraying. I would think a small tractor would be better money spent but just an opinion.

I have an 02 Honda with an automatic. I runs and works great. I use it every day. If you have rough conditions than I have you better park the quad. In fact you may want to invest in a couple good climbing ropes. I just went and checked on a water where one questions your sanity driving a quad down that hill.

Latest posts