4+week old calf dead

Help Support CattleToday:

insurman

Reaction score
I have a cow having her 4th calf just before turning 5. She has been great and have kept 2 heifers from her and has always been a great momma.

On Sunday the 13th I go to check the cattle/calves. I see her way out there and she is just grazing so I figured the calf (calf is 3 weeks old at this time) is close by. On Wednesday my wife calls and asks me if I saw that calf and told her the same as above...she cannot find it anywhere, etc.. We leave town for my sons graduation and get back and she goes out there yesterday and by the old farmhouse and that calf is laying there and she walks up to it and it jumps up and is still strong enough and fast enough that she cannot get it.

Well this old house has barbed wire fence on two side and electric on the other two.. Calf is weak but my wife gets the fence down and gets it across and back to momma. She gets them penned late yesterday and watched that calf nurse for a very long time, worked all 4 teats.

Goes by today at noon to let them out with the herd and the calf is dead..and stiff.

Thoughts?

I would also guess scours. We lost one with that, with those same symptoms. Vet actually did an autopsy and found that the scours infection ate away at her intestinal system so much so that he intestines were thinner than newspaper.

So the calf was on the wrong side of the fence, and if so how long? Could have dehydrated and went past recovery. Did you notice if his eyes were sunken when put back with his mother? Once they are severely dehydrated, gorging on milk will do them in.
Any time we go somewhere something dies.. every time...

Latest posts