4 tips for using CIDRs to move up late calvers

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
http://www.beefmagazine.com/breeding/4- ... te-calvers

2. Using CIDRs for natural breeding

They suggest, "If you plan to use natural service breeding, insert a CIDR for 7 days, then remove the CIDR on day 7, and give an injection of prostaglandin. Bulls can be immediately placed with the cows. There is no need for extra bulls, a bull to cow ratio of 1:25 should be sufficient. However, all bulls should have a breeding soundness exam by a veterinarian. Young bulls may require special attention and a higher bull to cow ratio."

Anyone ever try CIDR's for natural service? First I've heard of it used in that scenario.

Thanks for the link! We only do CIDRs for AI and not natural breeding but may have to consider trying that with the 1 we have left to calve and see if we can get her back up with the rest of the group. We actually had a pretty tight calving window this year compared to most years. AI calves started hitting the ground on 2/17, natural calves on 3/7 and had all but 3 calved by end of March, 2 more calved by 4/10 and waiting on the last one now. Some years we may have 1 or 2 even drag into early to late May but ideally would be nice to be done calving by mid April if we can. We only do 1 synched heat for late Feb AI calving that way if they don't settle to their AI service we hopefully get them on their next cycle with the bull and have an early March calf so they can still be considered for the AI group again. It's those last few that always are annoying and usually they are too good of cows just to cull unless they come up open so this may be worth giving a try to see if it helps get them bred back quicker.

We did have an old cow a few years back that 9 of her first 10 calves were all born in March and that 1 off was not that far off the pace at April 4th. Her 10th calf was born March 15th then the next year fell way back and calved May 4th but then bred back to have a March 21st calf the following year although that would wind up being her last calf as she started getting a bad hip and her condition went downhill from it and surprisingly she still bred back once again despite looking like she was tired and miserable by the time we shipped her off. Loved that longevity and fertility, she was just a middle of the pack cow but saw a lot of other cows come and go during her lifetime that wasn't able to do what she did.

Steve,
In a beef repro lecture I attended a year or so back, they were describing using CIDRs in a natural service breeding deal. I didn't pay much attention... probably need to dig out my notes.

But... on the topic of moving up late calvers, they were advocating putting in CIDRs for 7-9 days, once the cows got at least 20 days out from calving. We have two good cows in the spring-calving herd that are going to be a full 6 weeks behind the bulk of the group...not sure why those two didn't breed up on time, but they're way behindevery other cow in that group...all others have already calved, but they're gonna be bringing May calves.
I'm probably going to CIDR them at 20 days and then kick 'em to the bull when the CIDRs come out.

I have two cows I'm quite sure are pregnant, but late.. One of them had the 4th calf last year, and perhaps outdid herself a little in milk production

Nesikep":26b4r96g said:
I have two cows I'm quite sure are pregnant, but late.. One of them had the 4th calf last year, and perhaps outdid herself a little in milk production

and that is the down side of selecting for milk....

it is easy to out milk what the cow can consume.

Stocker Steve":jzo1mdty said:
I have used Lute with natural service.
The bulls did not seem to mind.
That's what I do. The extra handling for the cidrs and cost rules them out for me. But I do like the idea.

Latest posts