4 month old heifers bred?

Help Support CattleToday:

bigsteve

Reaction score
I need help.

I have 2 heifers, one born August 28th and on born September 10th, 2016. I had a 1200lb Brangus bull in the same pasture with them until I sold him on January 17th, 2017. I've always been told by all the old timers around here that a bull won't bother a calf until 6 or 7 months. Then I started reading horror stories about young calves being bred. I'm very skeptical as to whether a 300lb heifer could effectively stand for a 1200 lb bull even if they were coming into heat that early. I didn't want to risk it so I gave both heifers 5cc of Lutalyce on February 17th. They are now both looking very fat. I'm hoping it's just because they have had a constant supply of grass, hay, and they are still with their mothers and possibly nursing (I know they should be weened by now but I have no way to separate).

What do you think? What are the odds that 2 300lb, 4 month old heifers came into heat, stood for a 1200lb bull, got bred, got a lutalyce shot, and are still bread (5-6 months at this point)?

bigsteve":2dk94ekz said:
What are the odds that 2 300lb, 4 month old heifers came into heat, stood for a 1200lb bull, got bred, got a lutalyce shot, and are still bread (5-6 months at this point)?

I'd say the odds of them both being bred are almost non-existent.

Rafter S":3cyj0v28 said:
bigsteve":3cyj0v28 said:
What are the odds that 2 300lb, 4 month old heifers came into heat, stood for a 1200lb bull, got bred, got a lutalyce shot, and are still bread (5-6 months at this point)?

I'd say the odds of them both being bred are almost non-existent.

I agree. I wouldn't even give it a second thought UNLESS I actually SAW a heifer calf in standing heat. That's a simple fix..either lute at weaning or draw blood and test. We've had a handful of heifers that young stand over the years. Out of hundreds of calves, we have never, ever had a heifer get bred by the bull while they were still on the cow, even if we wean later than usual. Which for us is about 8 months old. Be careful not to make a mountain out of a mole hill!

Have had 2000lb bulls breed 4mo old heifers. They make it work somehow. Lute should be given a couple of weeks after the bulls removed also.

Have had 6-7 month old heifers to get bred. Did have a Jersey heifer to get bred at around 4 months old. I would think that 4 months would be extreme for most beef breed heifers to get bred.

A friend of mine has a cow who calved at 16 months (bred by a half brother), 27 months and 36 months of age, with her third calf coming on her third birthday.

Id say thats a good cow! i had one calve at 18 months and again 10 months later, my neighbor had some calve this spring that got bred at 7 months all unassisted. i guess if they calve ok its a good thing

We have a yearling that got bred last summer at about 4 months. I saw it occur. We got a positive preg check and she was given Estrumate in September. She cycled as expected on a normal schedule. In May we synched a group and did AI. This heifer was AI'd a second time and was then put in with a cleanup bull. As of this last weekend she is still not bred. My question is this. Did the early pregnancy cause this? And, does anyone have any insight as to what can be done to get her to stick?

Latest posts