4 Mo char calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
I need opinions on how long I should leave her on her mom she's 4 months and she finally gaining weight I can notice it now. Should wean at 6 months or should i wait a lil longer. Open to suggestions this will be my first calf to wean as well. Just since it's my first one trying to get most money out of her.

No need to rush if the cow is in good shape. With good grass through the summer, I leave mine on the mom at least until they are 7 months, sometimes 8.

bird dog":3morc1rg said:
No need to rush if the cow is in good shape. With good grass through the summer, I leave mine on the mom at least until they are 7 months, sometimes 8.
ok thanks I was thinking about that and probably will do that.

backhoeboogie":1nael6op said:
Whatever you do, I believe in the almanac. Wean when the signs are in the knees.

backhoeboogie, is this what your referring to?

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/whens-th ... -wean-9683
One "rule" for weaning is to do it when the Moon is the signs of Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces. These signs rule the thighs, knees, ankles, and feet, and the dates listed in the Farmers' Almanac are based on this rule.

LLBUX":1bkook70 said:
Better be creep feeding the calf to get most money.
Don't want to ask s dumb question I have feed out for her but she hasn't touched it yet I made a area for her that the cows can't get to and she hasn't attempted to do it while I've seen I have to check again this evening to see but how would I get her attempt to eat it do I need to pen her daily she doesn't want to be away from her mom and she is super skiddish

She will decide when she is ready to try the feed. Do you feed the momma anything? you might try that and the calf will often come and see what mom is doing/eating and get a taste of it. Also, I have found that often my calves will come in the creep gate for some real nice hay, and then they find the grain in the feeders. It takes one to get the rest to want to see what they are missing.....

farmerjan":1tp4bvzd said:
She will decide when she is ready to try the feed. Do you feed the momma anything? you might try that and the calf will often come and see what mom is doing/eating and get a taste of it. Also, I have found that often my calves will come in the creep gate for some real nice hay, and then they find the grain in the feeders. It takes one to get the rest to want to see what they are missing.....
. Yeah she comes in looks at it and walks back out she seems interested when mom is eating but never eats it just smells it and wonders back off.

Our Red Poll cattle are not grain eaters. There are a couple that have probably not eaten 5 lbs in their whole life. They are graziers and will come to a bucket sometimes....but take a couple of sections of alfalfa out there and they will bowl you over....

ccr":3m1w3tgo said:
backhoeboogie":3m1w3tgo said:
Whatever you do, I believe in the almanac. Wean when the signs are in the knees.

backhoeboogie, is this what your referring to?

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/whens-th ... -wean-9683
One "rule" for weaning is to do it when the Moon is the signs of Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces. These signs rule the thighs, knees, ankles, and feet, and the dates listed in the Farmers' Almanac are based on this rule.

Yes. That gives you a longer weaning span. We always went with the knees. That gives you the ankles and feet too.

She has starting eating feed made a little pen for her to be able to only get too and she's been eating it so I'm happy about that

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2sdrrf0e said:
If you want to get the most out of her, you might be getting her dehorned (at least it appears in the pictures that she is horned).
Yeah she isn't horned just appears like that in the picture ...

Latest posts