4-H steer (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Daughters steer for 4-H what do you think?

cowsandbulls08029.jpg

looks tasty, for a market steer, he should do well, but like at an open show or something else, he would get smoked, but the game changes when its a market class. good luck

Tom that is Loretta on far side. I will try and get another shot of her for you. The bull calf in middle is a march calf and mama is last years show heifer.

He's a decent steer, but I wouldn't be willing to do what it takes to compete with a steer. It's amazing what kind of junk people will put into them just to win. I've seen them bleeding from the rear because of what they were being given. A steer will not naturally get as unbelievably wide and muscular as some I've seen at shows. Some of them look like they're on steroids.

he is a goodlooking steer.an greenwillows is right on what people will do to win.personally id just pour the feed an hay to him.get him to eating 25 to 30lbs of grain a day.but becareful not to blow him out on feed.why isnt your daughter showing a hereford steer.

bigbull338":2de6c8sh said:
he is a goodlooking steer.an greenwillows is right on what people will do to win.personally id just pour the feed an hay to him.get him to eating 25 to 30lbs of grain a day.but becareful not to blow him out on feed.why isnt your daughter showing a hereford steer.

That, my friend, is a very good question.

KNERSIE":3oty04of said:
bigbull338":3oty04of said:

That, my friend, is a very good question.

We didnt have anything big enough at weigh in. We got this guy from a good friend of ours.

He eats 30lbs and is plenty big enough.

In this neck of the woods, most club steers are Chi-Maine cross. A good friend of mine made the observation that while these two breeds dominate the show ring, there aren't a whole lot of them in commercial cowherds........ :? :idea:

greenwillowhereford II":3jgvpw5z said:
In this neck of the woods, most club steers are Chi-Maine cross. A good friend of mine made the observation that while these two breeds dominate the show ring, there aren't a whole lot of them in commercial cowherds........ :? :idea:

Nor do they grade very well on the rail....

Is this steer for a county fair? At my county fair a black angus steer always wins grand champion. Usually runner up is also a black angus, but last year was a holstein/angus cross, nice steer I thought should have won. So what I am saying is around here everyone wants black cattle, not red.

Latest posts