4-H steer feed

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Need some suggestions on what to feed a 4-H steer. He is a full Line 1 herf and will compete against all black steers. I know the kid wont win but would like to get rate of gain or come close anyway.

Was thinking on a show ration from MFA this yr. Thoughts

JHH":1e49ew0p said:
Need some suggestions on what to feed a 4-H steer. He is a full Line 1 herf and will compete against all black steers. I know the kid wont win but would like to get rate of gain or come close anyway.

Was thinking on a show ration from MFA this yr. Thoughts

Most all feed companies make a show calf feed, usually a starter grower then a finisher. They should be ok.

There are so many show feeds out there, compare price, fat, protein, additives, and ingredients in that order. Growers will be around 14% protein with around 2.5% fat; a finisher will be around 12-13% protein and around 5% fat. Most are medicated and balanced with minerals that the calf needs, you just need to give the grain, hay and water. 2 to 3 percent of their body weight a day, we usually work them up to 24 pounds and stop increasing from that point. 600# steer 18# of grain, 700# steer 21# grain, up to 24 pounds grain plus hay. If the calf hits it prime early or just needs to be slowed down for a while replace some of the grain with beet pulp, they continue to eat the same volume just less calories. It is usually 2 to 1 grain to beet pulp; unless you really need to hold them then it is 1 to 3 plus protein and fat supplement (stabilized rice bran) to keep them fresh looking.

We have found the best way to get a nice smooth finish on our calves is to feed 2 pounds of Stabilized Rice Bran the last 90 days.
You have to use Stabilized; just plain rice bran goes sour and does not give the same results. It is a horse supplement but really helps get a nice layer of finish that is smooth to the touch.

The steer that won local show rate of gain from the 1st sat in dec. to last sat.
He averged 5Lbs.a day.Not sure what kind of feed they used/mixed .

Put him on a finisher from day 1. Much easier to take some cover off in the end than it is to add it.

Rowdy":21iypb9v said:
Put him on a finisher from day 1. Much easier to take some cover off in the end than it is to add it.

True but hard to put frame on one "after the fact". You want to grow it up before you grow it out or you'll just have a stubby little fat calf.

Generally I'd agree TB, but the type of genetics winning in the ring today need as high an energy ration as you can keep them on in order to lay down a cover. Can't tell you how many people I encounter that have their steer on free choice hay and wonder why he just keeps getting framier by the day. The shows I've been to lately want fats around 1200. That's tough to do with the more performance/ commercial growth oriented genetics. A plus 2 minus 1 approach is safer than trying to gain 5 lbs a day the last month. What you think?

Rowdy":wfknb8wb said:
Generally I'd agree TB, but the type of genetics winning in the ring today need as high an energy ration as you can keep them on in order to lay down a cover. Can't tell you how many people I encounter that have their steer on free choice hay and wonder why he just keeps getting framier by the day. The shows I've been to lately want fats around 1200. That's tough to do with the more performance/ commercial growth oriented genetics. A plus 2 minus 1 approach is safer than trying to gain 5 lbs a day the last month. What you think?

I'd still rather get the frame there first. With a good feed you can put weight on easily and steadily without pushing so hard at the very end. I'd just prefer the feed be a bit more mellow to begin with.

TexasBred":253jbw5a said:
Rowdy":253jbw5a said:

I'd still rather get the frame there first. With a good feed you can put weight on easily and steadily without pushing so hard at the very end. I'd just prefer the feed be a bit more mellow to begin with.

I take it you've never fed a Trump influenced female? They convert bout like a stein.

CF Trump- The most famous bull amongst the show crowd. He is a disgrace to the shorthorn breed but with enough corn- his daughters are impossible to beat in the ring. 7/8 Shorthorn 1/8 Maine Anjou

Latest posts