4-H Shooting Sports

Help Support CattleToday:

I said "HAD", as in previous - not present! But anyhow, he doesn't shoot and has never been into hunting, so it works out pretty good.

when i was in 4-H we did hwy clean up once a yr, we planted flowers around the county building or wherever the town/city needed them planted. we went to the old folks home and sat with them-played cards or brought in our small animals (dogs, cats, birds, lizards...). those are a couple that i can think of off the top of my head. its been a long time since i was in 4-H.

I started shooting when Jake got his first BB gun. And if you guys and gals don't mind me sayin' I'm the better shot out of the two of us. (Boy we're gonna hear it now. :D) About the women being good shots. My gran says she doesn't have the consence to kill and animal and has a 100% clay target accuracy. Minus the killing part the same story applies to my mom. Now my sister thats a whole different story... I might save it for another day. :p

Cody":1q5k1qtf said:
I started shooting when Jake got his first BB gun. And if you guys and gals don't mind me sayin' I'm the better shot out of the two of us. (Boy we're gonna hear it now. :D) About the women being good shots. My gran says she doesn't have the consence to kill and animal and has a 100% clay target accuracy. Minus the killing part the same story applies to my mom. Now my sister thats a whole different story... I might save it for another day. :p
Cody, if it's a good story, it's another day now.

Cody":3jhrf4hz said:

now remember everybody he's the fisherman..... he just has dreams. The only way he outshoots me is if he's shooting at a deer and I'm shooting at a playing card..... :roll:

isn't sibling rivalry fun :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: my 2 little sisses compete a lot in basketball when they play at home. neither one of them shoots so i already have them beat.

Wow - Thanks for all the ideas and comments! I really appreciate the help. I got involved in this because the local extension lady asked me too. They had a sign up for this club to see if anyone would be interested in something like this. We had 25 kids sign up so it was a go. My son was one of them. I have this habit of staying around for my sons activities. I always plan on just sitting in the back and watching. Always end up involved in some manner.

As to the insurance - have been told that Iowa State University will cover us with the rest of 4-H. We have to have our ducks all in a row though. Extension told me that is why it is really important to have a good coordinator to make sure all the paperwork and other things are done correctly. It was a really nice compliment that she chose me.

I also agree that teaching kids about guns will cut down on accidents and crime. I think too much bad stuff happens because parents make them taboo. If they are taught what they are, what they can do, and how to handle them there would be a lot less trouble. I was raised with guns and have never even thought of using them any other way than proper.

As to girls outshooting boys - have seen lots of cases of this being true! Sorry guys :D . Actually - I did this myself that weekend. Don't know why it's true but am using this as a way to get more girls involved in the club.

As to all the neat ideas - I am going to start looking into ways to use them for my club. Like the melon idea and the birds cleaning up the mess. One thing they taught me at this training was to be prepared for people to be against me ( PETA-like people). I'm thinking I could end up having someone tell me I'm endangering the wildlife because they could get hurt if they eat the shot or a piece of casing that could be left in this fruit. What kind of answer would you give these people?

Have been gone for a few days and it was really nice to see all these responses when I got back. Please feel free to continue to throw in on this anytime! I am excited about this club and welcome ALL thoughts and ideas. If you happen to see or hear something even months down the road I would really like to hear about it. Thanks again and keep 'em comin'. :D :D

Good for you Farmhand!!! Your an example of what this country needs more of....respectable grownups to get involved with kids...good for you

An earlier post mentioned ethics. I agree completely. I think ethics/responsibilities while owning or using a gun are important. A lot of fuel for the anti gun/hunting groups come directly from those participating in shooting sports unethically.

Also, kids need to be exposed to the broad variety of shooting sports.

An additional area that I think would logically follow learning to shoot a gun, is equipment care and maintenance. A lot of good firearms are made unservicable (or dangerous) over time due to poor maintenance. Equipment care is just as much a part of a hunt or shooting session as pulling the trigger.

Sounds like you're putting together a great club. Congratulations. One thing I would add about the water jugs: they make an impression on people (especially youngsters) and can therefore be used for a valuable safety lesson. It brings home what can happen to somebody's head or vitals if safety rules aren't followed. It also gives you more credence when you enforce the rules with zero tolerance.

And one other thing. Don't fall for the leftist propaganda that the Second Amendment is about hunting rights. Hunting and shooting sports are enjoyable byproducts of the Second Amendment. They have nothing to do with why it is in the Constitution.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":zy0ymokr said:
Sounds like you're putting together a great club. Congratulations. One thing I would add about the water jugs: they make an impression on people (especially youngsters) and can therefore be used for a valuable safety lesson. It brings home what can happen to somebody's head or vitals if safety rules aren't followed. It also gives you more credence when you enforce the rules with zero tolerance.

And one other thing. Don't fall for the leftist propaganda that the Second Amendment is about hunting rights. Hunting and shooting sports are enjoyable byproducts of the Second Amendment. They have nothing to do with why it is in the Constitution.

Craig-TX

Craig has made a very good point about the the Second Amendment!

It is also interesting to note that where people have gun carrying rights, violent crimes go down.
Where carrying or owning guns is illegal, crime rates go up.
This has been documented by a number of sources.

Concerning the shot left in the fruit, it would only be a problem with shotshells. Any of the solid projectiles pass completly through. The waterfowl issue with lead shot is basicly a puddle duck problem that injest the shot while feeding in water. It would seem to me that other then birds there wouldn;t be a problem with shot being injected and passed through. It's a birds gizzard that causes the problem because they grind the pellets along with the food. I know that the desert tortoises really liked blown up melons and the majority of the smaller stuff was eaten by ants.

dun

Craig-TX, Ryder, dun - THANK YOU! I have to admit I've been a little worried about how to handle people who are against this club. Any advice in that area is greatly appreciated. Any others? I really don't think I have to worry too much because we live in a small, agricultural area. But then again I have heard stories that PETA has been sitting around these small fairs trying to stop them. I don't always have the quickest answers so help there would be welcome. I've been trying to think of all things people could be against like teaching kids to handle weapons to harming wildlife issues etc. Trying to prepare myself in case it happens.

Farmhand":1dtbrv1i said:
Craig-TX, Ryder, dun - THANK YOU! I have to admit I've been a little worried about how to handle people who are against this club. Any advice in that area is greatly appreciated. Any others? I really don't think I have to worry too much because we live in a small, agricultural area. But then again I have heard stories that PETA has been sitting around these small fairs trying to stop them. I don't always have the quickest answers so help there would be welcome. I've been trying to think of all things people could be against like teaching kids to handle weapons to harming wildlife issues etc. Trying to prepare myself in case it happens.

Good thinking. If you think you may run into some of those types, be prepared before hand. Very Important!!

and its amazing what ppl will object to and complain about. its normally the really petty stuff. everyonce in a while someone will have a legit complaint or issue. good to know your planning all of this in advance so as not to be taken by suprise.

Farmhand,You have my loudest appaluse and praise. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:. I think anyone who is involved in 4-H is Dang Good People.My kids are eat sleep and breath 4-H.My 10 yr.old girl is signed up for 16 projects plus showing rabbits(first year to show,so we said had to be something easy). I think teaching these kids about all kinds of shooting sports is a great thing.Most of them just know what they see on T.V.My father-in-law has bumper sticker that says"Take Your Kid Hunting Instead of Hunting for Your Kid".Have you checked in to the Y.H.E.C. contests.I think it's a really good program.Again,Thank You for your great support for 4-H.

OK - our club is up and running. Now I have a problem I could use some help with. We have more members than we have equipment for. This means that the kids have down time between ranges. We can do 3 at a time at the air rifle range and 2 at a time at the shotgun range. Haven't got the archery range going yet. Even with the archery, we will end up with kids having nothing to do while waiting for the next range. Does anyone have any activity ideas for this. Ended up playing some games but I need other ideas to keep these kids interested and occupied. I am interested in ANY ideas. You all helped once - am hoping you can again. Thanks!

Have them work on knots. You can buy a length of rope and cut it into several pieces for practice.

Get a couple of old fishing rods with the practice plugs tied on them and plastic garbage cans for targets. The kids seemed to enjoy that.

Farmhand":2coyn6s9 said:
OK - our club is up and running. Now I have a problem I could use some help with. We have more members than we have equipment for. This means that the kids have down time between ranges. We can do 3 at a time at the air rifle range and 2 at a time at the shotgun range. Haven't got the archery range going yet. Even with the archery, we will end up with kids having nothing to do while waiting for the next range. Does anyone have any activity ideas for this. Ended up playing some games but I need other ideas to keep these kids interested and occupied. I am interested in ANY ideas. You all helped once - am hoping you can again. Thanks!

It won't hurt the kids to wait in line! That's life! Same applies to horses: It won't kill them to stand tied for a while...teaches them patience, dicipline, "be nice". Also, while the kids are "waiting their turn" (basic child training), would be good opportunity for a "teaching moment" about "something".

Latest posts