4-H Shooting Sports

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 9, 2004
Messages
2,839
Reaction score
1
Location
South Central Texas
I said "HAD", as in previous - not present! But anyhow, he doesn't shoot and has never been into hunting, so it works out pretty good.
 

cowgirl580

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
0
Location
Nowheresville, CO
when i was in 4-H we did hwy clean up once a yr, we planted flowers around the county building or wherever the town/city needed them planted. we went to the old folks home and sat with them-played cards or brought in our small animals (dogs, cats, birds, lizards...). those are a couple that i can think of off the top of my head. its been a long time since i was in 4-H.
 

Cody

Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
In Jake's footsteps
I started shooting when Jake got his first BB gun. And if you guys and gals don't mind me sayin' I'm the better shot out of the two of us. (Boy we're gonna hear it now. :D) About the women being good shots. My gran says she doesn't have the consence to kill and animal and has a 100% clay target accuracy. Minus the killing part the same story applies to my mom. Now my sister thats a whole different story... I might save it for another day. :p
 

Ryder

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2004
Messages
5,857
Reaction score
54
Location
Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)
Cody":1q5k1qtf said:
I started shooting when Jake got his first BB gun. And if you guys and gals don't mind me sayin' I'm the better shot out of the two of us. (Boy we're gonna hear it now. :D) About the women being good shots. My gran says she doesn't have the consence to kill and animal and has a 100% clay target accuracy. Minus the killing part the same story applies to my mom. Now my sister thats a whole different story... I might save it for another day. :p
Cody, if it's a good story, it's another day now.
 

Jake

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 20, 2003
Messages
3,794
Reaction score
45
Location
North Central Kansas
Cody":3jhrf4hz said:
I started shooting when Jake got his first BB gun. And if you guys and gals don't mind me sayin' I'm the better shot out of the two of us. (Boy we're gonna hear it now. :D) About the women being good shots. My gran says she doesn't have the consence to kill and animal and has a 100% clay target accuracy. Minus the killing part the same story applies to my mom. Now my sister thats a whole different story... I might save it for another day. :p

now remember everybody he's the fisherman..... he just has dreams. The only way he outshoots me is if he's shooting at a deer and I'm shooting at a playing card..... :roll:
 

cowgirl580

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
0
Location
Nowheresville, CO
isn't sibling rivalry fun :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: my 2 little sisses compete a lot in basketball when they play at home. neither one of them shoots so i already have them beat.
 
OP
F

Farmhand

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
913
Reaction score
0
Location
Iowa
Wow - Thanks for all the ideas and comments! I really appreciate the help. I got involved in this because the local extension lady asked me too. They had a sign up for this club to see if anyone would be interested in something like this. We had 25 kids sign up so it was a go. My son was one of them. I have this habit of staying around for my sons activities. I always plan on just sitting in the back and watching. Always end up involved in some manner.

As to the insurance - have been told that Iowa State University will cover us with the rest of 4-H. We have to have our ducks all in a row though. Extension told me that is why it is really important to have a good coordinator to make sure all the paperwork and other things are done correctly. It was a really nice compliment that she chose me.

I also agree that teaching kids about guns will cut down on accidents and crime. I think too much bad stuff happens because parents make them taboo. If they are taught what they are, what they can do, and how to handle them there would be a lot less trouble. I was raised with guns and have never even thought of using them any other way than proper.

As to girls outshooting boys - have seen lots of cases of this being true! Sorry guys :D . Actually - I did this myself that weekend. Don't know why it's true but am using this as a way to get more girls involved in the club.

As to all the neat ideas - I am going to start looking into ways to use them for my club. Like the melon idea and the birds cleaning up the mess. One thing they taught me at this training was to be prepared for people to be against me ( PETA-like people). I'm thinking I could end up having someone tell me I'm endangering the wildlife because they could get hurt if they eat the shot or a piece of casing that could be left in this fruit. What kind of answer would you give these people?

Have been gone for a few days and it was really nice to see all these responses when I got back. Please feel free to continue to throw in on this anytime! I am excited about this club and welcome ALL thoughts and ideas. If you happen to see or hear something even months down the road I would really like to hear about it. Thanks again and keep 'em comin'. :D :D
 

tapeworm

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
627
Reaction score
0
Good for you Farmhand!!! Your an example of what this country needs more of....respectable grownups to get involved with kids...good for you
 

rwtherefords

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Messages
321
Reaction score
0
Location
Tennessee
An earlier post mentioned ethics. I agree completely. I think ethics/responsibilities while owning or using a gun are important. A lot of fuel for the anti gun/hunting groups come directly from those participating in shooting sports unethically.

Also, kids need to be exposed to the broad variety of shooting sports.

An additional area that I think would logically follow learning to shoot a gun, is equipment care and maintenance. A lot of good firearms are made unservicable (or dangerous) over time due to poor maintenance. Equipment care is just as much a part of a hunt or shooting session as pulling the trigger.
 

Craig-TX

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
Sounds like you’re putting together a great club. Congratulations. One thing I would add about the water jugs: they make an impression on people (especially youngsters) and can therefore be used for a valuable safety lesson. It brings home what can happen to somebody’s head or vitals if safety rules aren’t followed. It also gives you more credence when you enforce the rules with zero tolerance.

And one other thing. Don’t fall for the leftist propaganda that the Second Amendment is about hunting rights. Hunting and shooting sports are enjoyable byproducts of the Second Amendment. They have nothing to do with why it is in the Constitution.

Craig-TX
 

Ryder

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2004
Messages
5,857
Reaction score
54
Location
Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)
Craig-TX":zy0ymokr said:
Sounds like you’re putting together a great club. Congratulations. One thing I would add about the water jugs: they make an impression on people (especially youngsters) and can therefore be used for a valuable safety lesson. It brings home what can happen to somebody’s head or vitals if safety rules aren’t followed. It also gives you more credence when you enforce the rules with zero tolerance.

And one other thing. Don’t fall for the leftist propaganda that the Second Amendment is about hunting rights. Hunting and shooting sports are enjoyable byproducts of the Second Amendment. They have nothing to do with why it is in the Constitution.

Craig-TX

Craig has made a very good point about the the Second Amendment!

It is also interesting to note that where people have gun carrying rights, violent crimes go down.
Where carrying or owning guns is illegal, crime rates go up.
This has been documented by a number of sources.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
11
Location
MO Ozarks
Concerning the shot left in the fruit, it would only be a problem with shotshells. Any of the solid projectiles pass completly through. The waterfowl issue with lead shot is basicly a puddle duck problem that injest the shot while feeding in water. It would seem to me that other then birds there wouldn;t be a problem with shot being injected and passed through. It's a birds gizzard that causes the problem because they grind the pellets along with the food. I know that the desert tortoises really liked blown up melons and the majority of the smaller stuff was eaten by ants.

dun
 
OP
F

Farmhand

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
913
Reaction score
0
Location
Iowa
Craig-TX, Ryder, dun - THANK YOU! I have to admit I've been a little worried about how to handle people who are against this club. Any advice in that area is greatly appreciated. Any others? I really don't think I have to worry too much because we live in a small, agricultural area. But then again I have heard stories that PETA has been sitting around these small fairs trying to stop them. I don't always have the quickest answers so help there would be welcome. I've been trying to think of all things people could be against like teaching kids to handle weapons to harming wildlife issues etc. Trying to prepare myself in case it happens.
 

Ryder

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 18, 2004
Messages
5,857
Reaction score
54
Location
Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)
Farmhand":1dtbrv1i said:
Craig-TX, Ryder, dun - THANK YOU! I have to admit I've been a little worried about how to handle people who are against this club. Any advice in that area is greatly appreciated. Any others? I really don't think I have to worry too much because we live in a small, agricultural area. But then again I have heard stories that PETA has been sitting around these small fairs trying to stop them. I don't always have the quickest answers so help there would be welcome. I've been trying to think of all things people could be against like teaching kids to handle weapons to harming wildlife issues etc. Trying to prepare myself in case it happens.

Good thinking. If you think you may run into some of those types, be prepared before hand. Very Important!!
 

cowgirl580

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
1,153
Reaction score
0
Location
Nowheresville, CO
and its amazing what ppl will object to and complain about. its normally the really petty stuff. everyonce in a while someone will have a legit complaint or issue. good to know your planning all of this in advance so as not to be taken by suprise.
 

NM CowBelle

Active member
Joined
Apr 2, 2005
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Location
Happily With Lucky Us
Farmhand,You have my loudest appaluse and praise. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:. I think anyone who is involved in 4-H is Dang Good People.My kids are eat sleep and breath 4-H.My 10 yr.old girl is signed up for 16 projects plus showing rabbits(first year to show,so we said had to be something easy). I think teaching these kids about all kinds of shooting sports is a great thing.Most of them just know what they see on T.V.My father-in-law has bumper sticker that says"Take Your Kid Hunting Instead of Hunting for Your Kid".Have you checked in to the Y.H.E.C. contests.I think it's a really good program.Again,Thank You for your great support for 4-H.
 
OP
F

Farmhand

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
913
Reaction score
0
Location
Iowa
OK - our club is up and running. Now I have a problem I could use some help with. We have more members than we have equipment for. This means that the kids have down time between ranges. We can do 3 at a time at the air rifle range and 2 at a time at the shotgun range. Haven't got the archery range going yet. Even with the archery, we will end up with kids having nothing to do while waiting for the next range. Does anyone have any activity ideas for this. Ended up playing some games but I need other ideas to keep these kids interested and occupied. I am interested in ANY ideas. You all helped once - am hoping you can again. Thanks!
 

Bama

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
1,855
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Alabama
Have them work on knots. You can buy a length of rope and cut it into several pieces for practice.
 

bwranch

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
271
Reaction score
0
Location
East Central MO
Get a couple of old fishing rods with the practice plugs tied on them and plastic garbage cans for targets. The kids seemed to enjoy that.
 

Running Arrow Bill

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,439
Reaction score
2
Location
Texas Panhandle On US 83
Farmhand":2coyn6s9 said:
OK - our club is up and running. Now I have a problem I could use some help with. We have more members than we have equipment for. This means that the kids have down time between ranges. We can do 3 at a time at the air rifle range and 2 at a time at the shotgun range. Haven't got the archery range going yet. Even with the archery, we will end up with kids having nothing to do while waiting for the next range. Does anyone have any activity ideas for this. Ended up playing some games but I need other ideas to keep these kids interested and occupied. I am interested in ANY ideas. You all helped once - am hoping you can again. Thanks!

It won't hurt the kids to wait in line! That's life! Same applies to horses: It won't kill them to stand tied for a while...teaches them patience, dicipline, "be nice". Also, while the kids are "waiting their turn" (basic child training), would be good opportunity for a "teaching moment" about "something".
 

Latest posts

Top