4-H Shooting Sports

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmhand

Reaction score
I just spent April 8, 9, &10, 2005 getting certified to be a 4-H Shooting Sports coordinator. I plan on certifying in archery and my husband in shotgun in September. This is a new club in our area.

I want to know what you would like taught to 4th - 12th grade boys and girls other than the obvious safety stuff. We will be teaching archery, shotgun, and rifle. We will teach everything from target shooting to hunting. We will NOT teach anything that insinuates shooting at other human beings such as paint ball. I would like to include more than just safety though. I want them to be welcomed by the general public. I plan on including things such as respecting propery, getting permission, etc. I also need ideas for community service projects. Had the kids waiting tables for the Pheasants Forever banguet but need other ideas. Want to mix it up some to keep the kids interested. I am interested in ALL ideas. I want to make this an outstanding club. Thank you for all help you can give me!

- ethics is the next thing I cover after safety

Fun Rifle targets
- capped milk jugs filled with water.
-Balloons at a long distance - 150 - 200 yard with a 22. make sure of good backstop.
- empty shotgun shells at 30 yards.
- empty 22 rifle shells at 20 yards.
- lit candles, yes you can shoot the flame out.
- bowling pins
- butcher paper with their name in dots over another piece of paper. After shooting let them see if the can tell whos is whos.

Good luck you are starting on a venture with many rewards.

Those are some neat ideas. I had heard of the water jug one. Really like the name idea. Heard of someone using paint balls as targets. Shot them with rifle. Guess they make really neat color displays. Thanks for the input. Everyone keep them coming please. Also any for community service. Thanks.

Have the kids join the NRA. They have lots of good programs for kids.

P.S.: Make sure you have insurance coverage for your job teaching kids to shoot. Not that it would avoid a lawsuit if some kid screws up. Might also enlist the services of an off-duty law enforcement officer to assist you.

If your gonna teach about hunting I would touch on tracking. So that way the kids know what to do when the animal runs off. I've seen this guy on TV make some 150+ yard bow shots. And the water jug thing is really cool to watch.

None of our ranges were formal facilities so we shot a lot of old fruit from the back of grocery stores. Apples, tomatos, melons blow up neatly when hit with even a 22. Oranges absorb too many shots before seeing any affect. We would leave the remains behind and the birds and varmints would come in and clean up the mess. After a day or two you couldn't tell anything had been left behind.
If you listen closely you will hear me applauding your efforsts.

dun

I agree! We need to teach more of our young people about guns, hunting and fishing. Otherwise they will grow up into PETA people! I have been hunting since I was old enough to shoot, it is a great think to get kids involved in. I think that it teaches kids respect, responsibility, and cuts down on the crime rate. When you've been around guns your whole life then they are not so fantastic and kids won't think tha everyone gets them as a sort of status symbol. It's like "you have a gun? Woopee, it's no biggie" I can't even possibly express how much I respect you for doing America such a great service. How do you get into some thing like that?

whatever you do never teach your wife to shoot straight you will regret it some day

brokenmouth":9jcjq9mm said:
whatever you do never teach your wife to shoot straight you will regret it some day

We used to have a one day amonth shoot for the wifes/daughters/girl friends of our regulars, no men were allowed. I only went to tend the ammo boxes and load magazines. My wife handled the instruction part. Most of the women could out shoot there husbands/dads/boy friends with out any real effort. I ascribe that to, "if it's lethal, women have a natural knack"

dun

dun":2njkq3ys said:
brokenmouth":2njkq3ys said:

We used to have a one day amonth shoot for the wifes/daughters/girl friends of our regulars, no men were allowed. I only went to tend the ammo boxes and load magazines. My wife handled the instruction part. Most of the women could out shoot there husbands/dads/boy friends with out any real effort. I ascribe that to, "if it's lethal, women have a natural knack"

dun

I have noticed that if a woman wants to learn (doesn't act silly and squeal) they seem to learn easier than men. They are actually more teachable.

Ryder":15mdmvcy said:
dun":15mdmvcy said:
brokenmouth":15mdmvcy said:

dun

I have noticed that if a woman wants to learn (doesn't act silly and squeal) they seem to learn easier than men. They are actually more teachable.

i agree with these comments. have always figured it was because they generally hav e steadier hands and generally dont have as many bad habits to break. but duns theory sounds pretty viable too.

Running Arrow Bill":vhn3ne4c said:
P.S.: Make sure you have insurance coverage for your job teaching kids to shoot. Not that it would avoid a lawsuit if some kid screws up. Might also enlist the services of an off-duty law enforcement officer to assist you.

You might check into it, but, I think that extra dollar or two on each membership pays for insurance. I know that in Texas, member and leaders are covered by insurance that is purchased with the extra dollar.

brokenmouth":2ebw8252 said:
Ryder":2ebw8252 said:
dun":2ebw8252 said:
brokenmouth":2ebw8252 said:

dun

i agree with these comments. have always figured it was because they generally hav e steadier hands and generally dont have as many bad habits to break. but duns theory sounds pretty viable too.

Really I think there a 2 parts. One is that they don;t have bad habits to break, the second and most important one is that they don;t think they know everything even if they have never shot. Too many men it seems think that it's in their DNA to be able to shoot.

dun

Farmhand":1be54qcf said:
I just spent April 8, 9, &10, 2005 getting certified to be a 4-H Shooting Sports coordinator. I plan on certifying in archery and my husband in shotgun in September. This is a new club in our area.

I want to know what you would like taught to 4th - 12th grade boys and girls other than the obvious safety stuff. I also need ideas for community service projects. Had the kids waiting tables for the Pheasants Forever banguet but need other ideas. Want to mix it up some to keep the kids interested. I am interested in ALL ideas. I want to make this an outstanding club. Thank you for all help you can give me!
If there is a nursing home in your area you might consider having the kids work up some sort of skit and put it on for the old folks. Those folks really enjoy any kind of entertainment, company, attention they can get.

Not bragging but I'm the best shot in the family, next to dad. I used to love it when his friends would come over for target practice and I could out-shoot them. They thought it was funny at first but then they got real serious about it. I think MOST guys have a real problem with a woman that can and will out-shoot them in competitions. I have actually had 2 B.F.'s break up with me due to this sort of thing :cry: It's really not fair.

Farmhand, some of our local clubs are helping put out vegetable and flower gardens for some of the nursing homes, senior centers, and even for individuals on their own property. We make new friends, get to hear lots of great stories, learn tons of things we didn't know, and put some joy in a lot of peoples lives, which puts more in ours. One club built bluebird houses and birdfeeders to compliment the gardening program. Again, I salute you and your efforts!

sidney411":dru0ad84 said:
Not bragging but I'm the best shot in the family, next to dad. I used to love it when his friends would come over for target practice and I could out-shoot them. They thought it was funny at first but then they got real serious about it. I think MOST guys have a real problem with a woman that can and will out-shoot them in competitions. I have actually had 2 B.F.'s break up with me due to this sort of thing :cry: It's really not fair.
Show off :frowns: Bet you were sliping that rat shot in your gun.

sidney411":1hjd4spq said:
I have actually had 2 B.F.'s break up with me due to this sort of thing :cry: It's really not fair.
Sid-what does your husband think about your B.F.'s ??? :eek: :shock: :x :mad: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts