3wk 4H calf bloating on bottle

Help Support CattleToday:

slusser

Reaction score
I posted this on the beginner's board but thought I might get more help here

My daughter has a 3 week old dairy calf that has started bloating everytime we feed her with the bottle. The first three weeks she had stinky manure that eventually developed into scours. We got that under control but now she is bloating within 2 hours of having her bottle. We have been to the vet where she was given an antibiotic that we are injecting once a day under the skin and we have switched milk replacer to one with less protein (started with 28/20 now on 20/20). She is still bloating. The only feeding that she didn't was at the vets when he gave electrolytes first thing in the am then followed it an hour later with the bottle. Do we need to go to less dense meals 3 x a day (2 qts water with 8 oz milk powder)? We are frustrated and don't know what to do at this point except have de-bloat meds on hand. It gets a little pricey to use it everyday though. We sure don't want to lose this calf. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

I answered this on the beginner's board, but I'll answer it here, also. These are just my thoughts...

Are you providing the calf with any hay? Crunchy, grassy type hay might help.

Also, maybe if you broke the feedings down into say 4 times a day rather than twice a day. Or, if you can only feed twice a day, mix the milk replacer with less water.

ALSO, squirt probios in that calf's mouth everytime you feed it, especially if you are giving the calf antibiotics.

Alice

Everything Alice said, in this case especially probios . Only a couple of other thoughts 1. 3 ml fortified B-complex 2. check nipple on bottle to make sure the hole is not too big, if it is replace it . Letting him work a little harder for his milk might be a good thing . 3. Check and make absolutely sure that your using an all milk replacer . Finally I think I would consider getting another calf for a 4-h project, it's not worth all the tears later on if he gives trouble .

Larry

Thanks larryshoat - I will run out and get another tube of probios before the ranch store closes today. Yep, the replacer we are using is all milk. We did switch from a 28/20 formula to a 20/20 formula since the vet thought the extra protein might be adding to the problems. We will look around for another calf - they are really hard to come by in our area.

What does the B-complex do?

Thanks!

B vitamins are necessary for cellular functions... generally, B complex is given to animals that won't eat, as it stimulates their appetite.

Latest posts