3F Epic Sire

Help Support CattleToday:

Out of Curiosity who were the other 2.

Express had a few in one of their sales that looked pretty good. you can probably still find videos of those animals if you want to.

I have not used 3F Epic but I know Deer Valley is starting to use him. They are so meticulous about their genetics that I could not imagine him not being a good bull if they were using him.

His ce 14 bw -1.4 to yw 152 spread has to be one of the highest of any proven bull around.
66 cw $F 132 $B 173
I haven't seen any calves, but I bet I'd love to have a feedlot full of his steer calves.

jscunn":26i8cxsi said:

Express had a few in one of their sales that looked pretty good. you can probably still find videos of those animals if you want to.
I'll let you know when I get back home. I printed them out, along with the parameters I used.

NEFarmwife":13d5jj1o said:
jscunn":13d5jj1o said:

I'll let you know when I get back home. I printed them out, along with the parameters I used.

JVC Cavalry 4803 https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... dSYw%3d%3d

Stenberg Coalition 972 https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... 1n6w%3d%3d

My parameters, I asked for a minimum of CED 10, WW 80, YW 100, CEM 10, and $B 150. It returned just the 3.

drop the WW to 70 and it gives you more options. (just a thought). Epic might still be the best choice in both groups.

jscunn":2xpgrwtj said:
drop the WW to 70 and it gives you more options. (just a thought). Epic might still be the best choice in both groups.

I agree on that move. Never like to tell someone else what to do but there are plenty of good bulls in the 75-79 range in WW.

SchenkAngusFarm":2ndahp28 said:
jscunn":2ndahp28 said:

I agree on that move. Never like to tell someone else what to do but there are plenty of good bulls in the 75-79 range in WW.

Nope. Good advice. And that's why I'm here. It would be foolish of me, not to consider the opinions/thoughts of others. Thanks jscunn!

The advice I would give about AI sires, is go look at neighbors, sales, shows, etc. Find something pleasing to your eye and then see if the EPDs would help and not hurt you. Alot of high numbered junk out there, I would rather breed or flush to a average numbered bull that produces great calves than a great numbered bull that produces average calves. Commercial guys could care less about numbers. Phenotype first.

All that being said the Epic calves on video look pretty good, so use him if you like them.. my :2cents: worth

Semen guys pushed him hard. I think gizmom seen him this summer in person if I recall right

jscunn":19lq68z6 said:
The advice I would give about AI sires, is go look at neighbors, sales, shows, etc. Find something pleasing to your eye and then see if the EPDs would help and not hurt you. Alot of high numbered junk out there, I would rather breed or flush to a average numbered bull that produces great calves than a great numbered bull that produces average calves. Commercial guys could care less about numbers. Phenotype first.

All that being said the Epic calves on video look pretty good, so use him if you like them.. my :2cents: worth

I think that's good advice too. Nothing like seeing cows in the ring to figure out what you like. Some people don't like Rampage for various reasons but after seeing his progeny last year in four sale I started using him and love what he has produced. If you're not happy with it, odds are you're not going to find someone else who is either.

SchenkAngusFarm":vrv2writ said:
jscunn":vrv2writ said:

I think that's good advice too. Nothing like seeing cows in the ring to figure out what you like. Some people don't like Rampage for various reasons but after seeing his progeny last year in four sale I started using him and love what he has produced. If you're not happy with it, odds are you're not going to find someone else who is either.

I wrote a long response last night in regard to jscunn's reply but lost it when I logged in.

My husband is a phen first, I am numbers but only because it is like breaking the Da Vinci Code and keeps my brain busy. :)

We are inundated with sire "kings" around here. (SAV, Jindra, Herbster, Connealy, Sandpoint)... One of the top selling SAV's was raised 50 feet from my house. Just up the road, I can go look over SAV and RB donors. Because of our location, it is safe to say, most our commercial cattlemen around here use nothing but what I listed. So the opportunity to see anything else, is difficult.

That is why I like this forum. I can see what others are using. What they wish they never had, and what they wish they had used more of.

We are so heavy on SAV, I'd like to introduce some other genetics. 10 straws of this, 10 straws of that. See what works. Our program is much different than it was two years ago. We don't sell at weaning, we finish them out now and I kinda feel that numbers are a bit more important than they've been in the past.

I also have learned that a bulls name doesn't mean he's a good bull. You can get a full brother and end up with the Danny DeVito to Arnold S. Suddenly, you have 50 Devitos running around that are now in the dink pen trying to play catch up to the big boys. Either way, seems like a roll of the dice anymore. I'd rather go with proven, then the hot new bull.

I was thinking about sexed rampage semen for some good quality replacements (a few of our registered's) but I am not a fan of his DOC. May have to just get a few conventional and see how he works out. Don't tolerate any hot heads or crazy girls.

I typed you a long pm that of course got deleted.. sent you a short version, if you have any questions just shoot me a pm.

NEFarmwife":u7zlkyos said:
SchenkAngusFarm":u7zlkyos said:
jscunn":u7zlkyos said:

I wrote a long response last night in regard to jscunn's reply but lost it when I logged in.

My husband is a phen first, I am numbers but only because it is like breaking the Da Vinci Code and keeps my brain busy. :)

We are inundated with sire "kings" around here. (SAV, Jindra, Herbster, Connealy, Sandpoint)... One of the top selling SAV's was raised 50 feet from my house. Just up the road, I can go look over SAV and RB donors. Because of our location, it is safe to say, most our commercial cattlemen around here use nothing but what I listed. So the opportunity to see anything else, is difficult.

That is why I like this forum. I can see what others are using. What they wish they never had, and what they wish they had used more of.

We are so heavy on SAV, I'd like to introduce some other genetics. 10 straws of this, 10 straws of that. See what works. Our program is much different than it was two years ago. We don't sell at weaning, we finish them out now and I kinda feel that numbers are a bit more important than they've been in the past.

I also have learned that a bulls name doesn't mean he's a good bull. You can get a full brother and end up with the Danny DeVito to Arnold S. Suddenly, you have 50 Devitos running around that are now in the dink pen trying to play catch up to the big boys. Either way, seems like a roll of the dice anymore. I'd rather go with proven, then the hot new bull.

I was thinking about sexed rampage semen for some good quality replacements (a few of our registered's) but I am not a fan of his DOC. May have to just get a few conventional and see how he works out. Don't tolerate any hot heads or crazy girls.

Great post.

I see you are from Nebraska. We buy a lot of embryos from the Scotts out your way.

I can tell you that I love what I have seen out of Rampage. I only have one out of him and it was from female sexed semen. She is great though. Love her disposition ironically. I am flushing our best cow to him now.

Since you seem to run a lot what is your favorite female producer that you have used? I'd love to hear your input.

SchenkAngusFarm":2zgo1csd said:
NEFarmwife":2zgo1csd said:
SchenkAngusFarm":2zgo1csd said:

Great post.

I see you are from Nebraska. We buy a lot of embryos from the Scotts out your way.

I can tell you that I love what I have seen out of Rampage. I only have one out of him and it was from female sexed semen. She is great though. Love her disposition ironically. I am flushing our best cow to him now.

Since you seem to run a lot what is your favorite female producer that you have used? I'd love to hear your input.

They are our neighbors and my husband worked for them for quite some time. That is who we purchase our embryos from as well. Good people, great relationship. If you haven't ever met them personally but ever get an opportunity to, please do.

Best females are Schaff, all the way. I'd say Herbster a close second but they're pretty much Schaff too. We just started dabbling in Connealy now about 2 years but I don't believe we've kept any replacements from them. We've sold some very good commercial bulls out of Connealy. We don't personally use Jindra. It's not that we won't, we just haven't yet.

Our favorite has be SAV Harvestor daughters. The BW I feel is misleading. We've never had large calves out of her, never pulled one. You want that Phenotype? She is it. They are such good mommas too. Another of SAV's, is International. Our replacements this year, really turned to Game On (Herbster) and SAV Resource but they're damns are also Harvestors. Game On, I've said it before and I will say it again, you can pick them out of your herd as a favorite and suddenly realize it is another Game On and you should have known.

NEFarmwife":suoovaai said:
SchenkAngusFarm":suoovaai said:
NEFarmwife":suoovaai said:

Great post.

They are our neighbors and my husband worked for them for quite some time. That is who we purchase our embryos from as well. Good people, great relationship. If you haven't ever met them personally but ever get an opportunity to, please do.

Best females are Schaff, all the way. I'd say Herbster a close second but they're pretty much Schaff too. We just started dabbling in Connealy now about 2 years but I don't believe we've kept any replacements from them. We've sold some very good commercial bulls out of Connealy. We don't personally use Jindra. It's not that we won't, we just haven't yet.

Our favorite has be SAV Harvestor daughters. The BW I feel is misleading. We've never had large calves out of her, never pulled one. You want that Phenotype? She is it. They are such good mommas too. Another of SAV's, is International. Our replacements this year, really turned to Game On (Herbster) and SAV Resource but they're damns are also Harvestors. Game On, I've said it before and I will say it again, you can pick them out of your herd as a favorite and suddenly realize it is another Game On and you should have known.

Haha, small world. We have told the Scotts we will come and check them out some time. If we do, I will definitely come by if that's ok with you. I'm always interested in seeing other operations and bouncing ideas off of others. We actually just ordered a bunch of embryos from the Scotts we are pretty excited about. We also are thinking our new herd sire will the pick of three Thunderbird sons that we have from their embryos.

Thanks again for the advice on your favorites. It's always nice to get others opinions.

We heard a rumor that 3F's dam has prolapse issues but it is not verified. I really love his numbers and Express has some big boys out of him (2 of their 3 winning pen in Denver were sons). We just can not take the chance on the prolapse issues being true as we retain heifers.

hornedfrogbbq":25854zmh said:
We heard a rumor that 3F's dam has prolapse issues but it is not verified. I really love his numbers and Express has some big boys out of him (2 of their 3 winning pen in Denver were sons). We just can not take the chance on the prolapse issues being true as we retain heifers.
I hope this is a bad rumor. I bred a bunch to him in the fall based mostly off of advice from the tech and pics of the Express calves..They were very impressive.

I have two Epic daughters that were born at the end of Dec 2017. They are the poorest performers in my herd at this point. They may take off when they start on creep, but overall they seem to be really frail made and lack the muscle I am seeing out of their contemporaries.

Latest posts