36-Day breeding season (3 years running)

Help Support CattleToday:

JustSimmental

Reaction score
1. At least 50 days and preferably 55-60 days post-calving -- insert the CIDR****. Day 1 (am)
2. Give 2ml of Cystorelin Intramuscularly (IM) to clear any cystic ovaries. Day 1 (am)
(Ovarian cysts are non-ovulated follicles with incomplete luteinization and can result in irregular estrus)
3. Pull CIDR Day 7(am).
4. Give 5ml of Lutalyse (IM) to heifers and cows up to 1300 lbs and 6 ml to cows over 1300 lbs.
5. Cows and heifers should show heat in the next 80 hours. Normally 24+ hours after the removal of the CIDR.
6. If no heat is seen by the 80th hour; breed them anyway.
7a. Standing heat in the morning -- breed them in the evening (pm) Later is better; than earlier.
7b. Standing heat in the evening -- breed them in the morning (am) later is better; than earlier.

*** Cows or heifers showing estrus (standing heat) 5-7 days before inserting the CIDR, should be bred on their natural heat.

Some Considerations:

Many factors contribute to the success and/or failure of a reproduction management program:

1. Cattle must be ready to breed-they must have a corpus luteum and be healthy.
2. Nutritional status must be adequate as this has a direct effect on conception rates.
3. Cattle working facilities must be adequate to allow cattle handling with low stress to the animal.
4. Estrus (standing heat) must be detected accurately.
5. Semen must be of high quality.
6. Insemination must be done properly and in the correct time frame

If you currently have any of these management deficiencies; they must be remedied first before you can have a successful breeding program. A job well done with 86% conception rates. An easy 80 hours.

Are you saying that for three years running, you've only gotten 86% of your cows bred!? Out of 100? And you're happy with that? I do way better than that on around a hundred with natural service. I know what you're saying, but if it takes another 30 days to get them all bred, or most of the rest, you have a 70 day calving season, nothing impressive about that. JMHO gs

Actually if he turned in bulls a week later he could hit anything that comes in heat during the next cycle (21 days) he could have close to a 40 day calving season. I would take that 86 percent in the first heat athen the rest in the second heat. Given that AI calves sometimes show up two weeks early and natural ones sometimes come late you could have all the calves on the ground over 6 weeks. Now if he is only getting 86 percent bred all together than I would leave in bulls longer, say one more heat cycle.

No------ I am saying, for the last 3 years, that I have gotten 100% of my cows bred in 36 days.
Sorry that was confusing for you

JS

plumber_greg":17wmy47w said:
Are you saying that for three years running, you've only gotten 86% of your cows bred!? Out of 100? And you're happy with that? I do way better than that on around a hundred with natural service. I know what you're saying, but if it takes another 30 days to get them all bred, or most of the rest, you have a 70 day calving season, nothing impressive about that. JMHO gs

If you currently have any of these management deficiencies; they must be remedied first before you can have a successful breeding program. A job well done with 86% conception rates. An easy 80 hours.

Where is 100% ??

86% conception rates on the first A.I. attempt--- for some cows we had to breed them twice.

TexasBred":3e5jru3n said:

Where is 100% ??

congratulations on a job well done..

I understood exactly what you were trying to say in terms of conceptions and calving period.

Are you saying you got 100% ai bred with the second service?

Or did you use a clean up bull.

Sounds great, but I have a question. Why are you breeding your heifers at the same time as your proven cows. We all know how difficult it is to get heifers to rebreed the second time around. Or is this the first time to breed heifers in this type of regiment. If so I think you might want to consider breeding those heifers a couple months earlier than your main herd,.. jmho

houstoncutter":10ete3h9 said:
Sounds great, but I have a question. Why are you breeding your heifers at the same time as your proven cows. We all know how difficult it is to get heifers to rebreed the second time around. Or is this the first time to breed heifers in this type of regiment. If so I think you might want to consider breeding those heifers a couple months earlier than your main herd,.. jmho
The concept of breeding heafiers ahead of the main herd sounds good in theory. But calving in december or january is a lot harder on both the heifer trying to raise a calf without a lot of expensive supplement and the calf slogging aorund in snow/ice. It may work someplaces but it sure wouldn;t work around here.

dun":1h961mfc said:
houstoncutter":1h961mfc said:
The concept of breeding heafiers ahead of the main herd sounds good in theory. But calving in december or january is a lot harder on both the heifer trying to raise a calf without a lot of expensive supplement and the calf slogging aorund in snow/ice. It may work someplaces but it sure wouldn;t work around here.

Frankly I cannot thing of one situation, where profit is the main goal, where it would work.

dun":zhlkjxhc said:
houstoncutter":zhlkjxhc said:
wouldn't work here either that would have me calving June and July on hfrs

i don't strive for thirty days earlier.....

but my heifers are normally my first synchrony group.....

might be a week or so earlier.....

Latest posts