325lb cow

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
i was watching the sale and saw a couple little tiny pairs sell, the smaller of the two cows weighed 325 pounds and had a pretty black calf that was around 150. have you guys ever seen a cow that small? had me wondering what bull the guy used on them. i dont think of cows as pets but man these would make good ones lol

When we were in practice in Giles Co., TN, back in the 1980s, we had one guy back in the hollers who had a herd of (inbred) Angus cows with strong Jersey influence... don't think there'd been any new genes introduced in quite a few decades. A BIG cow in that herd would go 500 lbs; most were considerably smaller..
Delicate little black cows, but they sure had pretty little 'milk-cow' udders. Dished faces were pretty common, showing the Jersey influence, and I saw a couple of dystocias due to rectovaginal constriction... a Jersey recessive defect.

I've not seen any Dexter or Kerry cattle in person, but my impression is that they're pretty small...

son of butch, i dont remember what they brought but they record the sale and post it on there website tomorrow so ill try and get a link so you guys can see

lucky thats a neat story, i guess inbreeding will do that i dont know much about the problems it causes but i know people use it to there advantage somehow, they just call it linebreeding to make it sound better haha

Went to a cow sale back last winter, saw a pen of little Hereford and BWF cows and calves. A cow/calf pair together weighed about 5 something to 600. The little bull had some age in years on him and weighed in the low 900's. most of them looked fairly common, the bull had some black hair on his tail. Though they were small the cows and calves had horns that would have been big for regular sized cattle now a days. I don't remember what they brought but needless to say they didn't top the market. It also seemed that some of them resurfaced on Craigslist in the following days.

Probably mini Zebu or Lowline crosses. Lot of mini Hereford, Dexter and Lowline breeders in my area. Seems that most local Zebu breeders are using Dexter or Lowline bull on zebu cows.

My cousin bought a really well bred lowline angus bull to use on heifers.
Paid around a1000 for him at 15 months old.
Used him a couple years and carried him to the sale barn and he sold for 2000.
He called me and said we are in the wrong cattle business :)

I watched the video. Not exactly front lot cows, that's for sure. If I'd been at the yard that day,they'd have both came home with me. Tie down those two calves a little while, and turn them little cows til they got sour.

I guess $450 for the pair aint bad for what they are, considering you could feed them for a week with one square bale lol

MtnCows93":24qqzoud said:
I guess $450 for the pair aint bad for what they are, considering you could feed them for a week with one square bale lol
Get the calf to 250lb and sell it and the cow is free. Pretty decent way to make a profit quick.

yea i wouldnt mind owning some like that but im pretty sure i couldnt use my bull on them, what bull would yall use?

Latest posts