.308 Did some work the past couple of days

Help Support CattleToday:

Pretty hogs I like em dead.
Just finished baiting the traps they hit my pastures last night.
The Houston lease hunter feeders are running out along with the acorns.
That Houston bunch hunts opening day through thanksgiving.
Haven't heard a shot since.

Pretty hogs I like em dead.
Just finished baiting the traps they hit my pastures last night.
The Houston lease hunter feeders are running out along with the acorns.
That Houston bunch hunts opening day through thanksgiving.
Haven't heard a shot since.

Nice pictures brute.
I am after hogs right now got some needy folks at church need to fill freezers. Beats the heck out of just throwing them away. I like the brine curing and smoking anyway.
You get two birds with one stone get rid of some pigs and help someone out.
This is the size I like best bout 80 pounds.

J&D Cattle":33atsbb5 said:
What is the make and model of the gun Brute?

It's a Remington 700 SPS

I think this is one of the best bang for the buck rifles out there. We paid like $550 at Cabela's a couple years ago. 3 of us bought them. I drag this thing around on the Mule or in my Truck and abuse it. It's covered in red dirt right now. The short size makes it really easy to maneuver in tight spots and it has little to no recoil with the heavy barrel.

Brute 23":2imazdh6 said:
J&D Cattle":2imazdh6 said:

It's a Remington 700 SPS

I think this is one of the best bang for the buck rifles out there. We paid like $550 at Cabela's a couple years ago. 3 of us bought them. I drag this thing around on the Mule or in my Truck and abuse it. It's covered in red dirt right now. The short size makes it really easy to maneuver in tight spots and it has little to no recoil with the heavy barrel.

I used to really like Remington's but have gotten to buying Ruger and Savage's as of late. Buddy and I are looking at factory heavy barrel 308's right now and the Remington is definitely at or near the top of the list. The price is great!

J&D Cattle":10c8j5rl said:
Brute 23":10c8j5rl said:
J&D Cattle":10c8j5rl said:

It's a Remington 700 SPS

I used to really like Remington's but have gotten to buying Ruger and Savage's as of late. Buddy and I are looking at factory heavy barrel 308's right now and the Remington is definitely at or near the top of the list. The price is great!
Why a heavy barrel? There's a bunch of folks building rifle with thin tubes that shoot lights out.

True Grit Farms":3a0qpv5j said:
J&D Cattle":3a0qpv5j said:
Brute 23":3a0qpv5j said:
It's a Remington 700 SPS

Why a heavy barrel? There's a bunch of folks building rifle with thin tubes that shoot lights out.

My limited reading lead me to looking at heavy barrels. I can certainly be convinced otherwise. Looking for out of the box accuracy in a 308 without busting the wallet.

J&D Cattle":2it3qy7j said:
True Grit Farms":2it3qy7j said:
J&D Cattle":2it3qy7j said:

My limited reading lead me to looking at heavy barrels. I can certainly be convinced otherwise. Looking for out of the box accuracy in a 308 without busting the wallet.

You can look these up and see the out of the box performance.

I would much rather spend $500-600 on a gun and $1000 on the scope... like I did with this one... than $1000 on the gun with a $500 scope.

Me personally, I like the weight of the heavy barrel plus I want a little meat on it so I can get it threaded for a suppressor.

Brute 23":2vbct73r said:
J&D Cattle":2vbct73r said:
True Grit Farms":2vbct73r said:

I would much rather spend $500-600 on a gun and $1000 on the scope... like I did with this one... than $1000 on the gun with a $500 scope.

Me personally, I like the weight of the heavy barrel plus I want a little meat on it so I can get it threaded for a suppressor.

Suppressor is on my want list as well. I'd like one for my Hornet for neighborhood pests as well.

Brute 23":1kmgat02 said:
J&D Cattle":1kmgat02 said:
True Grit Farms":1kmgat02 said:

Been looking at the Ruger American Ranch just for that reason it comes threaded.
While 223 is definitely not my favorite round for deer at these short 100 yard or less shots it works on hogs and deer well.
If I were shooting over 125 yards I would want a little more meat.

I don;t know about the current 700s but the old Sendero was the most accurate out of the box rifle (except one) that I ever shot.

It's splitting hairs IMO. Buy what you like. If you like it you will probably shoot it well.

I'm not a 223 fan at all but I would like to have one of those Rugers in 7.62x39. I would have to change that stock out though. It feels like a plastic toy gun.

Caustic Burno":3pcut9ty said:
Brute 23":3pcut9ty said:
J&D Cattle":3pcut9ty said:

Been looking at the Ruger American Ranch just for that reason it comes threaded.
While 223 is definitely not my favorite round for deer at these short 100 yard or less shots it works on hogs and deer well.
If I were shooting over 125 yards I would want a little more meat.

Made just for you CB. :)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RUGER-AM ... s?slotId=6

Latest posts