30% negotiated cash purchase price

Help Support CattleToday:

The checkoff is managed by the Cattleman's Beef Board. Each fiscal year, non-profit beef organizations present proposals to the CBB requesting funding. NCBA is just one of the contractors. Here is a link that explains in more details and lists the contractors.
https://www.beefboard.org/checkoff/beef-checkoff-contractors/

Look at who Corbitt Wall's sponsors are. That is a good indicator to me where his allegiance is and is and it sure isn't with the cow/calf producer.

elkwc said:
Look at who Corbitt Wall's sponsors are. That is a good indicator to me where his allegiance is and is and it sure isn't with the cow/calf producer.

The sponsors of Feeder Flash or the supporters of 30/14?

I think Corbitt's plan has the best chance of all. It's middle of the road and won't step on too many toes. Be a big improvement to cash trade percentage in the Southern Plains.

R-CALF aimed for 50% and put it in Booker's anti-meat bill, which is dumber than dumb. 50% cash is a no go for southern feedlots who are on contract, as it will cut into their side too much. They have already said (aka whispers) they would team up with the packers and shut the movement down if Corbitt went for 50%.

And then you have Steve Stratford pushing 30/14 with MCOOL component, which is way too ambitious at this point. And I think the packers learned their lesson with COOL in the past and could make the next go around very nasty for the US primary producer in terms of mandatory source verification and tracking in order to be eligible for MCOOL. The next go around with COOL, the packers will make damn sure the onus is not on them to prove where the product originated.

As long as the guy with the shiny shoes is trading futures the guy with the boots on is gonna get screwed. Hopefully this virus and the subsequent grocery shake up get people focusing on where their food comes from and having a stockpile isn't a bad thing. Direct marketing is going nuts right now. Use this opportunity to EDUCATE those around you on how it really works, get them a good product at a fair price and develop a second option for marketing some of your cattle.

30/14 may not be all the answers but is a move in the right direction. If nothing else the squeaky wheel gets the grease so making noise about it and putting it to the front of peoples minds helps. It's a toss up in my mind as to whether the timing is genius or disastrous for trying to get something done.

Aaron said:
elkwc said:

The sponsors of Feeder Flash or the supporters of 30/14?

I think Corbitt's plan has the best chance of all. It's middle of the road and won't step on too many toes. Be a big improvement to cash trade percentage in the Southern Plains.

R-CALF aimed for 50% and put it in Booker's anti-meat bill, which is dumber than dumb. 50% cash is a no go for southern feedlots who are on contract, as it will cut into their side too much. They have already said (aka whispers) they would team up with the packers and shut the movement down if Corbitt went for 50%.

And then you have Steve Stratford pushing 30/14 with MCOOL component, which is way too ambitious at this point. And I think the packers learned their lesson with COOL in the past and could make the next go around very nasty for the US primary producer in terms of mandatory source verification and tracking in order to be eligible for MCOOL. The next go around with COOL, the packers will make be nice sure the onus is not on them to prove where the product originated.

There is nothing middle of the road about it. It benefits the major packers and what they are pushing it and Corbitt is pushing it for them. Without reinstating COOL there will be no meaningful change. If they aren't willing to reinstate it then repeal the beef check off and let the breeder keep his money.

Still waiting for answer to earlier question.

And why would packers be in favor of 30/14? It opens them to compete against each other for cash cattle, to a MINIMUM of 30% of their kill, something that isn't happening in the southern plains.

You sound like an RCALF member, thinking the checkoff will be dismantled if it doesn't go his way. You are really dreaming if you think the organizations that use checkoff are just going to let that go without any major fight.

elkwc said:
Evidently, you have not been watching his reports for very long. He works for DVAuctions. They show a good many livestock auctions plus seed stock sales 6 days a week. He has a variety of sponsors from breed associations to mineral suppliers to animal health suppliers to commodity trading firms. He is a strong believer in the auction system.

Is the 30/14 proposition perfect? No. Is 50% or more negotiated trades attainable - no. Lets get something done.

BC said:
elkwc said:
Evidently, you have not been watching his reports for very long. He works for DVAuctions. They show a good many livestock auctions plus seed stock sales 6 days a week. He has a variety of sponsors from breed associations to mineral suppliers to animal health suppliers to commodity trading firms. He is a strong believer in the auction system.

Is the 30/14 proposition perfect? No. Is 50% or more negotiated trades attainable - no. Lets get something done.

I have listened to him. But I also listen to those with skin in the game. As one man who has invested a lot more than Corbitt said his proposal is like putting lipstick on a pig. It is what the big packers want and he is their speaker. Without COOL nothing will change. Trace out Vita Ferm and see their connection to sources detrimental to the breeder. There are many other examples.

elkwc said:
BC said:
elkwc said:

I have listened to him. But I also listen to those with skin in the game. As one man who has invested a lot more than Corbitt said his proposal is like putting lipstick on a pig. It is what the big packers want and he is their speaker. Without COOL nothing will change. Trace out Vita Ferm and see their connection to sources detrimental to the breeder. There are many other examples.

So we leave it alone and continue to loose competition? Or would you rather us get behind this bill limiting feed lot capacity? Seems to me Corbitt is the only one with a reasonable proposal that has a chance of passing.

elkwc said:
BC said:
elkwc said:

Very few things in life are certain. I am certain COOL is not coming back.

MCOOL has a chance, but I'd give that a 30% chance at best.

Elkwc,

If COOL was reinstated, how can it be guaranteed that the packers will pass on the extra profit to the producer?

Or is COOL just a feel good story where the bottom line for the producer doesn't actually change?

Poor returns to the producer seem to be caused by lack of competition, not labeling.