30-40 Million People in America Could Be Evicted

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
My business varied with the fortunes of my clients, I got to observe this a fair bit. Tradesmen were big spenders, when the home building industry was going well they all had the latest model work truck. They had the dog on the back that went to work with them and spared no expense in getting it treated. When the building industry had a down turn this work dried up. Poor Patch had to sort things out itself.
Public servants were also big spenders, had a big mortgage, latest motor vehicle, flash boat all on hock. They knew their job was safe and could count on annual generous increases in salary as they went up a tier on their pay rating.
Sorry if I categorised you in these groups, some people used their income wisely.

Ken

Many home buyers forget when the water heater gives up the ghost, they are now the landlord and get to fix it. Probably why that Reader's Digest big yellow book on home repairs was such a good seller years ago! Now days, call to get it fixed and put the charge on a card.
Yup get a house note and a loan on the ac repair.

Federal intervention will not help anything if they don't pay directly to the land lord . You give them a check and keep a law that they can not be evicted from the property and the property owner will never see any money. I know how tenants are that is what we do for a living but I am very lucky and all mine have been good through this whole thing

60-100k for a basic small family home. Minimum wage is $8.60, and that's what the vast majority of small town places pay. The closer you get to a big city, the more prices go up, as do wages. Seems cheap, but MO is not even in the top 10 cheapest states to live in when income is considered.

And even with all that's going on, seems like all the current administration cares about is the election that they are convinced was rigged. Pretty well shows where their priorities are.

A lot of old guys made a killing selling properties they bought in the 80s for 4 or 5 times what they paid, then wonder why us young guys aren't buying.
I wouldn't be able to afford a 4K+ a month mortgage for 30 years plus expenses plus a 250k down payment. I would go crazy

Chapin 81 Re NYC One set of my 'way backs' is Joris Rapelje and Catarina Trico. Owned a farm where the Brooklyn Naval Yard sets.
None of it was passed on......................Don't know whether to blame George Bush or Donald Trump.............

Chapin 81 Re NYC One set of my 'way backs' is Joris Rapelje and Catarina Trico. Owned a farm where the Brooklyn Naval Yard sets.
None of it was passed on......................Don't know whether to blame George Bush or Donald Trump.............
The place is owned by the city of NY and it's full of office bldgs distribution centers rooftop farms Steiner studios is there as well, and across the street are nyc housing projects. The place is worth billions and is a dump. It's the type of neighborhood where your car gets stolen or you get mugged.

I think home ownership can be good or bad depending on the situation and the person. I've owned my home for 20 years and it has more than doubled in value. To rent a house like it where I live would cost $1000/ month or better and now I just pay upkeep, taxes and insurance. I also own rental properties, I have long term renters in all 3 properties. One of them has almost payed as much in rent as what I payed for the place with 10 acres of ground with mineral rights, I could tear the house down right now and sell the land alone for what I paid for the house and land. I'm amazed at how little some grown men know how to do as far as home repairs. If I hire something out it's because I don't have time to do it or don't want to mess with it, but I'm harder to work for than most because I'll point out what was half done or question them about things. That's something most people don't factor into their home ownership costs are repairs, if you have to hire it all done it will be a significant amount on a regular basis. It would be smart for home finance companies to have a small percentage of the payment amount monthly added on that goes into an escrow account for home repairs.

You have no business owning a home unless you have some skills, or at least willing to learn. The reason a home cost so much is because of the lack of knowledge and the price paid to someone else. With all this technology, one can look up on Google, how to fix just about anything. Instructions and video. No excuses! If your dumb enough to sign for a mortgage without a way to pay for it...... you deserve to lose your home.
Year's ago I lost my job due to a car accident when we were check to check. Couldn't work anymore because the doctor would not release me back to work. I was then a liability for the company. I learned how to hustle in a hurry. I had a pick up truck and lived in Florida so I started doing flea markets 2xs a week, then had enough to purchase small boats to adjust, fix (yes, utube) etc to resell. I made it into a small business that paid my bills for 4 years.
Example of the other way....
I know people down the block (our daughters hang out sometimes) that had run into a little bit of money. Went and bought another car, redid the roof, stopped cutting the lawn and bringing their trash to the dump because they hired a lawn service and someone to pick up the trash.... well easy money ran out when one of the parents took a few months off work to "enjoy the good life". Now can't find a comparable pay with a new job. Refuses to start all over again at the bottom in a new company, so ....Now the car broke down, the lawn mower needs work cuz it sat for a couple years, trash is piling up now blowing around.
Put them self in a pickle by thinking they had it good..

NEVER GIVE UP!

Our political process causes a lot of wealth distribution. I think some of the biggest beneficiaries in fly over country during the Trump years are stock and bond owners. I think the biggest losers are savers with CDs.

Hard to know how much wealth distribution Biden will be able to do. A guess is expanded health care coverage and increased tax credits will benefit people who are not in the job market, or are working for cash. There is a chance some parts of real estate will be a big loser. Higher interest rates, lower occupancy, and difficult to collect rents, will lower returns.

Unreal the financial shape a lot of folks are in. Is this a problem of lacking the ability/opportunity to make money, low wages, lazy, money management or what? A lot of needy people, some very sad cases that need help.

Government is the problem, and they believe they have the solution to the problem they created.
If the lockdown, and closing of businesses would of never happen, unemployment would of been at or below 3%.
Hope these people realize that.

chapin81 Given that at least one portion of your cattle enterprise is off shore and housing being as prohibitive as you indicate is there a more
practical location that would satisfy your requirements for quality of life, transportation or anything you would consider of tantamount importance?
I would submit you have given this more thought than the few meager words penned here. None the less a few words on the subject would be greatly
appreciated by, shall we say, your Landlocked Brethern!

So true. We did not have much of a homeless problem in North Dakota until we started offering stuff to the homeless. The result of subsidizing homelessness is a surplus of that very commodity.
I am surprised that you had a homeless issue in N. Dakota. There is a huge problem in Portland but we have zero here. I always figured that winter was the solution.

chapin81 Given that at least one portion of your cattle enterprise is off shore and housing being as prohibitive as you indicate is there a more
practical location that would satisfy your requirements for quality of life, transportation or anything you would consider of tantamount importance?
I would submit you have given this more thought than the few meager words penned here. None the less a few words on the subject would be greatly
appreciated by, shall we say, your Landlocked Brethern!
Hi Lee Van Ross to answer your question. I'm a nyc business owner, I own a firm as a property adjuster for the policy holder also know as a Public Adjuster. It's a difficult business not for the faint of heart. I deal with homeowners who have lost their homes usually to a disaster an example would be a house fire. Can I move to upstate NY and live a better quality of life?? Absolutely! Would I go probably not. I have a 4 year old that my
Parents watch for us and I plan on having another one. I'm also saving the cattle from financial collapse because it wasn't managed properly. Parents were lucky to make anything throughout the year. But it wasn't until I took over that I realized that the people that my dad trusted were stealing. I gave them the boot in March 2020, branding was manipulated with the wrong numbers, fake time sheets, terrible herd sires, fake expenses plus many other things. Back to the buying a house part, I refuse to pay what a house cost in the area because.
1. It's a hole in the wall. Around the corner from us a family purchased the home for $1,100,000.00 and now have a 825k mortgage. I've attached the pics below with the price, the house sold in June 2020
2. I can move elsewhere but the rent will be similar, plus no parking, crappy school district.
3. Renting elsewhere I'll get stuck with a tenant in the same house or building who smokes or has roaches/mice, plus a crappy landlord.
4. If I move upstate whose going to watch my kid, wife works.
she would have to take the metro north and the nyc subway and pay over $500.00 a month.
5. if she takes a car your looking at 2 tolls and parking plus gas. So that's about 1400 a month just in travel expense. Right now she only spends about $125 a month for an unlimited metro card.
can I work from home yes. Can I take public transportation to an insurance claim.... not really. I'm basically stuck for a while unless I really hit a home run back home in Guatemala. Or my kid is done with college and then I can move to a farm and retire

I'm sure in other states a million dollars will get you a mansion...not here.

Attachments

• A06E302F-BC75-4BC7-8873-236C3B87A920.png
    A06E302F-BC75-4BC7-8873-236C3B87A920.png
    410.9 KB · Views: 6
  • C9BB0800-E8D4-423A-8649-92417974AF38.png
    C9BB0800-E8D4-423A-8649-92417974AF38.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 95A3E2CF-1F2B-47DA-82D4-4458AC3F9DFE.png
    95A3E2CF-1F2B-47DA-82D4-4458AC3F9DFE.png
    406.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 4A9434AD-1380-4EB8-A32B-90D61ECAAAD5.png
    4A9434AD-1380-4EB8-A32B-90D61ECAAAD5.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 452D5F8D-3BF9-428D-8772-CB1FC6D421F9.png
    452D5F8D-3BF9-428D-8772-CB1FC6D421F9.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 9A8A2A4A-5292-423E-AA75-266E7FA2FDFC.png
    9A8A2A4A-5292-423E-AA75-266E7FA2FDFC.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 47C5775B-DCAC-400D-98C7-D035ED666D1F.png
    47C5775B-DCAC-400D-98C7-D035ED666D1F.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 5
Chapin81-Thank you for the time you gave me.. I was tempted to mention upstate NY in my inquiry as some of my people came from up by Saratoga and
Glenfalls (sp?) . The upper Hudson is a beautiful area although winter might prove a challenge for someone with a lesser constitution. Allow me to offer
some encouragement concerning the cattle. My grandfather once told me there had been cattle in the family since before ' Burgoyne came down the river'.
During the conversation he said that there was no three year period when you couldn't turn a dollar on a cow. (I think he was talking cattle in general)
Now for the caveat! He also said it necessary to have a lot of notches in your belt because there would be times you didn't need much leather!
I would guess him right although the numbers required to make it work may have changed over time.

I would pray you have good people to work with as you are spread so thin geographically, at least from my narrow perspective. I am trying not to ask
questions that will take time from your day so let me say I hope you have family or people down at the ranch in Guatemala that are of like mind with
a goal to make the operation succeed. I would also add there is a wealth of information coming through this forum. Sometimes the processing thereof
can be a bit 'taxing' but I suspect you have a good handle on it. On moving to the farm and retiring... My guess is you may move to the farm but
you will never retire in the sense that most people think of retiring. How does one retire from doing what one wants to do, where they want to do it
and with whom they wish to do it.? Your response to me may generate a lot of interest so I will close out for a while and follow you in the forum
for a while. Thank you again, God Bless your works of good will and have a blessed holiday season! Lee VanRoss

The housing crisis is looming. I represent these people in court. There is a stay on evictions issued by the CDC that expires Dec. 31. It only allows people to remain in their homes and does nothing to compensate landlords. Real relief would address the rent. While I represent the tenants, I am aware of the financial burden this puts on property owners whose costs remain the same. We are facing a pending financial disaster because of the reprehensible failure in Washington.

The housing crisis is looming. I represent these people in court. There is a stay on evictions issued by the CDC that expires Dec. 31. It only allows people to remain in their homes and does nothing to compensate landlords. Real relief would address the rent. While I represent the tenants, I am aware of the financial burden this puts on property owners whose costs remain the same. We are facing a pending financial disaster because of the reprehensible failure in Washington.

I've been blessed that my tenants have continued to pay rent monthly, but as I stated earlier in another post, they are long term renters.

I custom baled hay for several years. When I started, I liked to pull into a farmers place that had nice new machinery and new vehicles in the yard figuring I wouldn't have to worry about getting paid from this guy. It didn't take long to find out that they were usually the ones that didn't pay very well. most several bills sent out and some taken to court to get paid. The farms that had the old well working machinery and older vehicles usually paid when first bill sent out and some paid before leaving the farm. If they were a little behind on some bills, they would tell me before baling that it may be a little late but never had a problem with them paying when they got the money. Not all were this way but seemed to be the more normal. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.