3 year old hereford bull (new pic added)

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Sold this bull as a short yearling to a small time commercial farmer. His father helped me out of a tight spot years ago and this was my turn to return the favour by selling him the bull for just over slaughter price.

Fire away with comments if you like.

100_5550.jpg

PS Herefordsire and Brandonm22 his low accuracy EBVs is acceptable, but he is certainly not a multiple trait leader. I have no idea what his profit indeces look like as I don't pay them any attention, but he is proving to be profitable for his owner as I'll show you later.

I'm sure the new owner is very proud of him....beautiful bull! :clap: :clap:

He's a dandy bull great line's and hind quarter's.That is what a bull is suppost to look like in my book.

rattler

Nice bull Harley, you really have a top notch program. I'm looking forward to the "profitiblity" proof... I'm guessing pics of his calves (?)

Alan

1848":1v0i6kbk said:
Got another angle? (ie: rear)

No, just similar profile shots. I could not get a good butt shot yesterday when I took these, other cattle kept getting in the way. He is on a farm quite a distance away from me, but when I go there again I'll try and get more angles. He is pretty strong from behind, but nothing like my main AI sire.

He is far from my ideal bull, but I think he's a pretty good specimen for his purpose.

This is a 4 month old heifer calf out of a rather ordinary jerseyXhereford cow. No creep feed, just grass from 7 in the morning till 4 in the afternoon and then in the corral at night with no feed just water. Why this guy does it like this is beyond me, he seems to have more than enough pasture without having to try and stretch it like this. All the calves look the same there was possibly one or two better calves, but I couldn't get decent pics of them with their dams to use as a reference for size.

100_5554.jpg

KNERSIE":33g1b0ek said:
This is a 4 month old heifer calf out of a rather ordinary jerseyXhereford cow. No creep feed, just grass from 7 in the morning till 4 in the afternoon and then in the corral at night with no feed just water. Why this guy does it like this is beyond me, he seems to have more than enough pasture without having to try and stretch it like this. All the calves look the same there was possibly one or two better calves, but I couldn't get decent pics of them with their dams to use as a reference for size.

Knersie, That's a beautiful bull. I'm curious as to why you put the calf in the corral at night, coyotes or other predators? Jim

SRBeef, Knersie is in South Africa......there are things a whole lot bigger than coyotes that go bump in the night there.

SRBeef":15p3r9i1 said:
KNERSIE":15p3r9i1 said:

Knersie, That's a beautiful bull. I'm curious as to why you put the calf in the corral at night, coyotes or other predators? Jim

He doesn't. The guy he sold the bull to does it.

he looks like he is sooo tired... is his name Eeyore? ;-)

VanC":1uxs2rn1 said:
SRBeef":1uxs2rn1 said:
KNERSIE":1uxs2rn1 said:

He doesn't. The guy he sold the bull to does it.

Thank you Van, I guess I missed that the first time thru. Jim

cfpinz":1aicglxr said:
Awesome length, but I'd like to see more guts.

I agree, this bull could also have had a stronger head and better eyes with more strength just behind the shoulder, BUT its also a case of you get what you pay for. He paid for a commercial bull and that is what he got, if he paid for a stud bull he would have got a bull like this.

051842m.jpg

This bull is also 3 years old, what you see in the background is what there is to eat except for straw fed 3 times a week. There are areas in that field where there is still some small grain harvest rests, but its not much.

KNERSIE":2xuxd95o said:
cfpinz":2xuxd95o said:
Awesome length, but I'd like to see more guts.

I agree, this bull could also have had a stronger head and better eyes with more strength just behind the shoulder, BUT its also a case of you get what you pay for. He paid for a commercial bull and that is what he got, if he paid for a stud bull he would have got a bull like this.

051842m.jpg

This bull is also 3 years old, what you see in the background is what there is to eat except for straw fed 3 times a week. There are areas in that field where there is still some small grain harvest rests, but its not much.

Even as a beginner, I like that second bull! Clean. This to me is what the bulls of a leaner future might look like. Be interesting to know what his EPD's are if you use them. Are South African EBV's comparable to US EPD's. Sorry if this was discussed before. I'm still learning.

NICE bull!

Jim

This to me is what the bulls of a leaner future might look like.

If this bull didn't have the ability to lay on fat in the better times he wouldn't have looked like this under current conditions. Herefords are a maternal breed, use them to create a easy keeping cowherd, you can always use a terminal sire (of any breed, but preferably a continental type) to breed the backfat away for the terminal cross.

Be interesting to know what his EPD's are if you use them. Are South African EBV's comparable to US EPD's.

We use EBV's and they are not comparable. I'll post his EBVs and the breed average so you can have something to compare it to, just have to look it up.

Latest posts