3 week old calf w/mucous

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl

Reaction score
I have a 3 wk. old calf that has been doing great, but the last 2 dys. she goes to poop and just green and clear mucous comes out. I have not had this before. Any knowledge of this would be appreciated.

Does the calf have an appetite or have trouble eating or getting colostrum when it was young? Need some more info before I can say anything that might be helpful. I would be a little worried right now about dehydration. Is her nose dry or feverish?

cant say as ive heard of a calf pooping green and clear mucous. what is the calf eating?

She had no trouble nursing when born, mama has plenty of milk. I know she got colostrum when born. She is nursing fine, eating some timothy hay & picking some grass, chewing her cud and playing. temp ok

If it's 3 wks old, feeling good, playing and pooing green, I'm thinking the calf is doing good. It doesn't take much grass to make them poo green. Sounds like he's doing fine.

Thank you for the kind replies- Finially she has normal manure. It takes some time for a calf to adjust to the grass and rumen kicking in. Thanks