3 week old calf drinking water

Help Support CattleToday:

Bar E

Reaction score
I got a calf born on Dec 22 and today I seen it drinking water out of the water trough. I try to not be paranoid but is the calf getting enough milk or was it just "snooping" around the water?

I wouldn't be alarmed but check the mama's udder & watch the calf nurse, preferably all 4 quarters. Is the calf thrifty & its sides full? Good poo? Does it eat a lot of hay (relative, for a calf)?

TCRanch":2x02h1ci said:
I wouldn't be alarmed but check the mama's udder & watch the calf nurse, preferably all 4 quarters. Is the calf thrifty & its sides full? Good poo? Does it eat a lot of hay (relative, for a calf)?

Bag looks good. The calf is full of spunk and more often than not she's bucking and kicking and racing around. Poop looks ok. She nibbles on the bale.

Son of Butch":15worq9j said:
Sounds like she may be a water drinker for life; once they start drinking water it's darn hard to train them to stop.
:)

Well that's good lol. Still to small to get the water when it gets too low in the trough. She sure is a cutie pie.

callmefence":303n8chq said:
As long as she's not drinkin stawberry hill and running round with a bunch of bull calves. I wouldn't worry.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

As long as she's spunky and doesn't appear slab sided or malnourished she should be just fine. I see younger calves around the water trough a fair amount. Most of the time they are just mimicking mama and trying to figure out the world!

monkey see monkey do. Her momma drinks water so she does too. Wait till she starts chewing her cud in a couple of days, that will really blow your mind

dun":t0hlnf9d said:
monkey see monkey do. Her momma drinks water so she does too. Wait till she starts chewing her cud in a couple of days, that will really blow your mind

What blows my mind is how all calves come out as black belt ninjas and can kick you with the utmost speed and accuracy..

skyhightree1":34ubgvu2 said:
dun":34ubgvu2 said:

What blows my mind is how all calves come out as black belt ninjas and can kick you with the utmost speed and accuracy..

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

skyhightree1":9c2f5jym said:
dun":9c2f5jym said:

And how! I'm putting off a surgery until after calving because recovery is 6 weeks, no contact sports. And it's not the mamas I'm worried about :)

skyhightree1":1xkw53fi said:
dun":1xkw53fi said:

Yup I separated my last one born and it's mamma because I was concerned about it nursing. Couple hours later it was nursing and I put my hand on its hind quarter to get kicked in my shin. Lucky it was a glancing blow. Their quick!

I bought a shallow water trough for the calves and they were drinking, nibbling hay and grass at about 2-3 weeks.
As long as their nursing they get what's needed.

aaroninga":3o951z8c said:
skyhightree1":3o951z8c said:
dun":3o951z8c said:

Yup I separated my last one born and it's mamma because I was concerned about it nursing. Couple hours later it was nursing and I put my hand on its hind quarter to get kicked in my shin. Lucky it was a glancing blow. Their quick!

I bought a shallow water trough for the calves and they were drinking, nibbling hay and grass at about 2-3 weeks.
As long as their nursing they get what's needed.

Thank you.

Son of Butch":2qb79xas said:
Sounds like she may be a water drinker for life; once they start drinking water it's darn hard to train them to stop.
Reminds me of what grandma always said..."If they drink, they won't stop, and if they won't work, they won't start!"

I have a calf now that is just over 6 weeks old. At about three weeks she could not wait for me bring her mom the feed. I would put it in the feed trough and the calf would run up and start eating feed with her mom. I began to check her poo and it was always normal. She would also get excited when I would bring water in. I checked her mom's udder and it was always nursed on. By four weeks she was eating more feed, hay, still nursing a ton, drinking water, and chewing cud. She is turning out to be one of the quickest growing calves we have ever had.

Son of Butch":2lp4powm said:

Butch, have you tried putting out sweet tea? Those that drink water will usually switch to sweet tea.

Margonme":17l267q5 said:
Son of Butch":17l267q5 said:

Butch, have you tried putting out sweet tea? Those that drink water will usually switch to sweet tea.
I think bourbon would be a better replacement for water

MRRherefords":1eeiyb1h said:
I have a calf now that is just over 6 weeks old. At about three weeks she could not wait for me bring her mom the feed. I would put it in the feed trough and the calf would run up and start eating feed with her mom. I began to check her poo and it was always normal. She would also get excited when I would bring water in. I checked her mom's udder and it was always nursed on. By four weeks she was eating more feed, hay, still nursing a ton, drinking water, and chewing cud. She is turning out to be one of the quickest growing calves we have ever had.

SMART GIRL !!! I have had a few over the years that have learned that I am bringing them good stuff too and have grown faster and been better cattle to work with. Those are the ones that will make money with their calves down the road.

Latest posts