3 way cross for 3waycross part 2

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
3waycross,

Here is one for ya....another 3 month old heifer. She is Gelbvieh x Angus x Limi. She is out of one of my better Limi-angus cows. I think I will keep this girl. She is an Atlas 101N daughter.
SU1HMDAxMTEtMjAxMTA1MzAtMTMzMS5qcGc.jpg

Butt shot..... big hindquarter is what Atlas is known for.
SU1HMDAxMTItMjAxMTA1MzAtMTMzMi5qcGc.jpg

3waycross":c9rdtk0q said:
Now yer talkin. I might just to stop by some night...............late..... ;-)
I'll keep a light on for you 3way. Oh....there is a cantankerous dexter cow in with her. She is just tall enough for her scimitar like horns to poke about waist high. She knows how to use those toad stickers learned from a few years of defending herself from the "regular" sized herdmates. Wear a kevlar jock strap... :) :cboy:

What causes calves to have a reddish gray hair coat, compared to a jet black hair coat?
All the calves in the picture seem to have this look.

Stocker Steve":j1cnvloz said:
What causes calves to have a reddish gray hair coat, compared to a jet black hair coat?
All the calves in the picture seem to have this look.
Most black calves start off that way, then get blacker the older they get. My angus calves have always done that.

The calves pictured come from red cows. They are usually born a dark red but turn coal black by weaning. The grey color on their underside is probably from the very light red coat on their mommas underside. It too will turn black.

I have a small percentage of reddish gray calves, and most of them don't come from red cows, and none of them come from Herefords. Seems to be an BA and Limi thing. If BAs turned Limi's black, than I guess they get all the credit.

Gelbvieh "black" can start out with brown highlights but as they age and shed, the brown usually leaves. Angus cattle do not seem to do it much, but Gelbvieh does it a lot. Makes no difference whether they have both black parents or just one, the brown is pretty common. Here is a picture of two purebred Gelbvieh calves.
image1278.jpg

and here is a purebred Gelbvieh bull and cow
image1128.jpg
Some times the brown leaves and sometimes it doesn't, but either way, that is "black" animal.

I have a couple brown calves like the upper photo.
I would try additional some additional copper sulfate with the red tinged cow in the lower photo.

I just happen to have one of those myself. She is a purebred Gelbvieh out of a Kit Tabasco Dtr and her sire is OZZ Ideal Direction.
She will most likely be kept for a replacement heifer. I really like the way her freeze brand came out.
@ 2 weeks
DSCF0261.JPG

a month later, when I shaved her to brand here she was coal blk to the skin.

IMG-20110515-00007.jpg

Black just doesn't seem "gelbvieh" to me in my mind, but I guess I'm wrong... I like the reds better, but that's a personal thing... What I'm finding with the Gelbvieh/SH crosses is that they start out all a red/tan, and as they get older, they get red, but the tips of their ears go white... kinda looks like it could be a distinctive trait of a new breed lol... This year I have 1 heifer calf that is from a Saler/Herf crossed to a GV, she's my only calf in my herd with no SH, I figure I'll keep her as her mother has done well for me (14 calves), and her maternal sister, though not much to look at, throws the most beautiful steers you could ask for, and from a small and economical cow... she actually has a heifer this year as well who I consider as well... that entire line has been really troublefree

Nesikep":25hacqvi said:
Black just doesn't seem "gelbvieh" to me in my mind, but I guess I'm wrong... I like the reds better, but that's a personal thing... What I'm finding with the Gelbvieh/SH crosses is that they start out all a red/tan, and as they get older, they get red, but the tips of their ears go white... kinda looks like it could be a distinctive trait of a new breed lol... This year I have 1 heifer calf that is from a Saler/Herf crossed to a GV, she's my only calf in my herd with no SH, I figure I'll keep her as her mother has done well for me (14 calves), and her maternal sister, though not much to look at, throws the most beautiful steers you could ask for, and from a small and economical cow... she actually has a heifer this year as well who I consider as well... that entire line has been really troublefree

I prefer the reds also but the market wants blk so I have more blk cows than red. Simple economics.

gotta do what you gotta do

With the crosses I have, they start out with tan highlights and when that sheds off, they have a nice red coat.

BTW, is it a gelbvieh trait to have water puddles on their backs when it rains?

The native strain Aberdeen Angus have a slightly red tint as calves as well, so all the decendant strains will have inherited the trait, the yearlings seem to have a red tint during shedding at the end of winter as well, the winter coat was black but developed the red as the winter coat shed.
Shouldn't a black Gelbvieh be called a Swartvieh?

Latest posts