3 newest baby camels

Help Support CattleToday:

cameldairy

Reaction score
3newbabycamels-1.jpg

That is like if I present my cow as "purebred cow"! And my dog as "purebred dog"!

No, it really isn't. Not in the USA. There are only Dromedaries and Bactrians and crosses of the two or hybrids. We do not have as many unrelated camels in this country as the Arab and Australian countries do. They do recognize different breeds. We have different bloodlines and breed for specific colors, sizes and temperament, but not differentiating them as any certain breeds. I've been raising camels for a living 25 years now, and zebras for longer than that, speaking of that, zebras are of different breeds and I raise Chapmans.

cameldairy":1qpz98eh said:
No, it really isn't. Not in the USA. There are only Dromedaries and Bactrians and crosses of the two or hybrids.

Ok. the cross is referred to as a "tulu", no idea what its called in english? Bactrians are most common around here. And "cows". :banana:

We mostly have Dromedary here in the US, so the Bactrian price is about double. Do you know the average prices of Bactrians and Dromedary in your country? Or which is more expensive?

Here is all I found on the word "tulu"...

Tulu is a regional language spoken in coastal districts of Karnataka i.e. Dakshina Kannada and Udupi. It is the 24th most populous Indian language according to the 2001 census of India. It is often mistakenly claimed as a dialect of Kannada. In reality, it is an independently derived descendent of the proto-Dravidian language. Tulu does not have a widely used script, though efforts are on to discover or construct one. Currently, most writing in the language is in the Kannada script. A lack of a script, however, has not prevented it from developing a vibrant literature of its own, most notably poems and plays

We call our hybrids F-1 (half Dromedary, half Bactrian) and F-2 (3/4 Bactrian and 1/4 Dromedary

cameldairy":3ox45cmz said:
I've been raising camels for a living 25 years now, and zebras for longer than that, speaking of that, zebras are of different breeds and I raise Chapmans.

I am partial to grevys, though I also like the "Plain zebras" . :banana:

cameldairy":2th9gf3h said:
We mostly have Dromedary here in the US, so the Bactrian price is about double. Do you know the average prices of Bactrians and Dromedary in your country? Or which is more expensive?

One can have two bactrian camels for one dromedary, as dromedaries are rare here! And we need to have registered zoo to earn the right to keep zebras.

cameldairy":iub9xeot said:
Here is all I found on the word "tulu"...

Tulu is a regional language spoken in coastal districts of Karnataka i.e. Dakshina Kannada and Udupi. It is the 24th most populous Indian language according to the 2001 census of India. It is often mistakenly claimed as a dialect of Kannada. In reality, it is an independently derived descendent of the proto-Dravidian language. Tulu does not have a widely used script, though efforts are on to discover or construct one. Currently, most writing in the language is in the Kannada script. A lack of a script, however, has not prevented it from developing a vibrant literature of its own, most notably poems and plays

We call our hybrids F-1 (half Dromedary, half Bactrian) and F-2 (3/4 Bactrian and 1/4 Dromedary

I think the word is picked up in some cental asian country, were hybrids are mostly found. But now we know something new about a language!

WOW, if we could get together and I bring you a load of Dromedary and you get me a load of Bactrian we could both get rich! I love Grevy zebra the best too, but they are endangered now, so much harder to come by and were not allowed to sell except to certain zoos. But (depending in what state you live in determines what kind of licenses you have to have to even own camels or zebra. Here in GA. we are required to have both a state and a federal permit.

cameldairy":1x4asfhe said:
WOW, if we could get together and I bring you a load of Dromedary and you get me a load of Bactrian we could both get rich! I love Grevy zebra the best too, but they are endangered now, so much harder to come by and were not allowed to sell except to certain zoos. But (depending in what state you live in determines what kind of licenses you have to have to even own camels or zebra. Here in GA. we are required to have both a state and a federal permit.

Bloody bureucrats! The business plan I like; though shipping may take its toll on profits!