3 month old calve with infection just above hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

herfordsrus

Reaction score
You guys are always full of good ideas, so I need suggestions for this,
We have a 3 month old heifer calf, she has been on two different antibiotics but the swelling in her leg is not going down,
the vet suggested to soak her foot in epsom salts to draw out the infection, but how do I get the calf to stand still
he suggested two times a day and we both work off the farm so it is something we will have to try and do in the morning and evening,

we do have a cattle shute

thanks

im sure there will be plenty of idea's. but id put her foot in and secure the empty bucket till i got her mobilized in the chute then pour the warm/salt water in

I would inject long acting oxytetracycline every 3rd day. Take a piece of baling twine make it double and tie it full of knots. Pull that backwards and forwards between the hooves in case there is something stuck there or if there is a scab to open it. Disinfect with lukewarm salt water.

Set up a footbath with a strong Zinc sulphate sulfate solution and make her walk through that to get to feed or water or to exit the chute.

What exactly did the vet say was wrong with it ? What were the two antibiotics and how long did you use them for ?

Larry

I had to do that with a cow some 3 1/2 years ago. It's really not too hard... secure the animal (chute would be easiest), place hoof in empty bucket, add epsom salts to the bucket and then slowly pour the hot water in. Kinda the same principle as the frog in the frying pan (I've always wanted to know 1) who the insane person was that figured it out, and 2) if it really does work :lol:). Anyway, the calf will be less likely to pull her hoof out if you pour the water into the empty bucket rather than trying to place a hoof in a bucketful of water.

Another thing you may want to try... is a sweat wrap. Theoretically it draws the swelling out. Use a sheet of plastic (raid the kitchen) against the skin, then use vetwrap and gauze over top to secure it. 12 hours on is sufficient.

Is the calf putting any weight on the hoof? using it to walk?

Kinda the same principle as the frog in the frying pan (I've always wanted to know 1) who the insane person was that figured it out, and 2) if it really does work

MM can you bridge the cultural gap for me, please? :?

KNERSIE":132m1z3a said:
Kinda the same principle as the frog in the frying pan (I've always wanted to know 1) who the insane person was that figured it out, and 2) if it really does work

MM can you bridge the cultural gap for me, please? :?

:p Yeah. Apparently if one places a frog in a pan of boiling water it will jump right out, but if you put him in a pan of cold water and set it on the stove to boil... he'll stay in the pan until he dies. Boiled alive. No idea if it's true but plenty of folks accept it as fact.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that it's pretty hard to get a cow to set (and keep) her hoof in a bucket of water, but she'll usually cooperate if you gradually pour the water into that empty bucket her hoof is in.

herfordsrus":7qqxnkj6 said:
You guys are always full of good ideas, so I need suggestions for this,
We have a 3 month old heifer calf, she has been on two different antibiotics but the swelling in her leg is not going down,
the vet suggested to soak her foot in epsom salts to draw out the infection, but how do I get the calf to stand still
he suggested two times a day and we both work off the farm so it is something we will have to try and do in the morning and evening,

we do have a cattle shute

thanks

We had a calf with the same problem. Spent lots of money on the high dollar antibiotics that didn't work. Started giving her sulfur boluses and Tylan and she has improved tremendously. You might want to try it on yours.

Latest posts