3 day sickness

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
An outbreak here has got me thinking.

I havent heard you guys really talk about it. Is 3 day something you get in America? Do you have a different name for it?

Its interesting that we are having an outbreak here atm because its normally a tropical disease, we never get it here. But, its moving further and further south. Poses some interesting challenges because a lot of vets and cattle producers have never seen it, so dont know how to diagnose or treat it. People are saying its happening here because of climate change, and the recent out of season thunder/rain storms we have been having.

Karen I have never heard of it . Maybe it is referred to as another name.
What are the symptoms and what does it effect etc.

It was mentioned on here a long time ago. The 3 day sickness I used to get usually came riught after a particularly hard partying 3 day week-end

lol dun

ok here is the limited amount I know about it.

Its a viral disease spread by mosquitoes. generally found in the tropical and subtropical areas.

The animal gets stiff in the legs, and wont eat or drink. Gets very dopey. They generally go and stand under a tree but sometimes they will go down as well. Basically they do that for three days and after three days they come good and will get up and walk away.

basically on an extensive basis (range cattle) you dont treat them, and they recover by themselves. On a more intensive basis (smaller herd, registered cattle etc) you can give them anti inflammatories and tube them to keep them hydrated.

Keren-We know it as BEF(bovine ephemeral fever) or 3 day stiff sickness. There is a vaccine available. If left untreated the animal can die. We treat with anti inflam and calcium,iron and zinc. Larger animals are usually affected more severely.

Keren, I only heard on the radio today where 3-day is supposed to get right down as far as Vic this year due to the weather conditions. The bad news is that the disease seems to have worsened a lot over the years. We didn't used to lose near as many as we do now. The old rule used to be just leave them strictly alone and don't stress them and they'll be okay. Now they seem to need intensive care to survive. It can inflame their joints so badly - usually only in one leg - that you'd swear it was broken. People have actually shot cattle thinking their leg is broken. They get so terribly sick with the high fever that they're oblivious to their surroundings. Big fat bullocks die like flies of course and, in general, anything very saleable! A friend has lost 11 bullocks so far. Mostly I think they perish - they're so dried out from the fever, they don't make it back to their feet.
We've lost a few that we know of already and who knows what else. We can't get around them all on a daily basis. Have just been out tending a downer. First calf heifer, six week old heifer calf standing by wondering why mum won't get up and give her a drink! The heifer had it in both hind legs (the fever has passed now) and, despite best efforts, can't haul herself up. She's eating and drinking now and we are giving her some dex. Not much else to do. We'll get her up eventually (I hope) but it may be too late for her to make milk again for the calf. The fever dries it up.
It's really distressing as we feed and tend them all through the dry season, hardly losing any, and then it rains and gets green and they die from 3-day!

Three days sickness is a viral disease(rhabdo virus) .Frequently found the outbreak in the rainy season such of tropical zone as thailand which has ample insect disease vectors. in cattle 6-20 months old which high suscepability but low mortality rate. Symptoms begin with high fever approximately 104-106 degrees fahrenheit, boring , mucous saliva ,stretching muscle ..after a day without treatment articular inflamation will occur .She show a tiptoe stiff gait, muscle contraction- in severe case she can not standing to walking. Some of them can own a full recovery within 2-3 days which has made the name of this disease ; but many after the body temperature decrease to normal levels and she began returning to normal diet, but still can not be stand . . Bacterial secondary infections let complications of pneumonia symptoms, Muscle damage - downer cow syndrome ,digestive systems are not fully working - bloat are side effect of this disease
I prefer to handle this case by injected anti-inflam drug such dicofenac to reduce fever and relieve muscle ,antibiotic to control bacterial disease . if she lie outdoor make shade and help them turn side of recumbent frequently to prevent muscle ,bone and nerve damage.Lifting equipment is sent last.

3_day_sickness_sukhothai.jpg

[youtube]<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a5tCUdZ1FXI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a5tCUdZ1FXI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>[/youtube]
do_not_stand.jpg

thanks jill, I forgot to mention the fever, because thats the other thing, the fever gets so high they abort if they are in calf.

interesting to hear that you lose them; it is basically unheard of here to lose them to 3 day. we dont think of it as a deadly disease, even when you dont treat them. maybe because your conditions are so much harder than ours.

That sounds like a horrible illness, good luck to all of you that have to endure it. That is one thing we don't have to worry about here, the worst thing that mosquitoes carry around here is westnile, our - 40 weather in the winter kills off most pests etc..

Yes, that's all spot on, thanks TeamDR. Years ago we didnt think of 3-day as a fatal disease either Keren, but things have changed bigtime.
We vaccinate some of the bulls but they need two injections a few weeks apart, every year. It is impossible to do our whole herd.
They're trying to develop a vaccine now which lasts about three years - like they have for botulism.
My heifer was no better this morning so it looks like we're in for the long haul with her. Will trundle all the way down there with a tractor later and put her on the toyota and cart her home. The calf has gone. Hopefully it'll get a suck on something else until its big enough to "cook for itself". Luckily the mother is quite grateful for any assistance rendered. She's got a good dash of brahman in her (but mostly char) and you never know which way they'll react to pressure.
I don't think 3-day is likely to appear in your cold country Hillsdown!

MO_cows":ao0ko0qo said:
That's scary. Not that long ago, who would have believed we'd have West Nile Virus in North America, either???

March 5th and we got to +12 today, I can't remember it ever being that warm this time of year....You are right MO who knows what is around the corner.. :???: