3 cows poor balance enlarged udders

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

three cow in the same pasture, cows are out of balance all have enlarged udders all have 350 pound calves by side. Pasture is in average condition could lighting strike have caused udder to swell and cattle to become out of balance veternarian has ruled out grass tet. and nitrate posioning.[/list]

lightning strike is fairly common here. weve only had one cow survive a lightning strike that i know of and she limped pretty hard for about two weeks. lightning struck a wooden post in the corner of a field and danced around, killing 12 in one lick. dont know why she survived. anyway, what do you mean by the cows being out of balance?

james":vq4c68px said:
three cow in the same pasture, cows are out of balance all have enlarged udders all have 350 pound calves by side. Pasture is in average condition could lighting strike have caused udder to swell and cattle to become out of balance veternarian has ruled out grass tet. and nitrate posioning.[/list]

Sounds more like an infection, possibly mastitis? Lightning strikes do a heck of a lot more than swell tits. This is the lightning capitol and I've seen a few examples. While moving a herd one day for another outfit with some other guys I noticed 3 cows strangely lying dead on their back with all four legs sticking straight up in the air. The trail boss told me it was from lightning, and if you see the four legs sticking straight up lightning is what does that. Don't have an explanation but it was a hell of a lot more than swollen udders. Made me a little nervous every time we were 10 miles from the barn on horses and the afternoon boomers came through. A slicker is the only thing between you and a million volts.

we had a cow last year literally blown out of her shoes. hooves and ankles where she was standing originally, the rest 15 foot away

I would think maybe they all are eating some kind of weed that is poisoning them and the calves . Thus the calves not sucking. I am sure it is not lightening. I have had cows lucky enough not to be killed by lightening and limp around for awhile however I have always had some dead ones and you surely wouldn't have three cows with the same odd symptom from something as random as lightening .... use your head. I'm sure you can think of some other clue.

Sounds like mastitis. I had a holstein that got a bad case of mastitis and she walked around like someone drunk.

I like the mastitis theory for one cow , not with three identical symptoms. I think we need more clues.

I'm ignorant but i haven't heard of mastitis spreading other than by contact. Are you saying they could get it from the pond or something? It still seems unlikely.

ollie":3jc673r1 said:
I'm ignorant but i haven't heard of mastitis spreading other than by contact. Are you saying they could get it from the pond or something? It still seems unlikely.

Agree someone need's to educate me on this one never had it in multiple cows at the same time.

what about wild cherry leaves? dont know about swelled udders but, wilted wild cherry leaves,are toxic to cows it affects the nervous system.will make them stumble around drunk.and sometimes kill them.

I've had 2 cows have mastitis at the same time (one a beef cow, the other a holstein). I'm not sure how the beef cow got it. May have been thru flies or some other kind of contact with the holstein. Vicki the Vet would probably have a good explanation for this.

If possible, put 'em in a chute and check the cows' udders. If they feel hot and hard to the touch, it could be mastitis. Try to check the milk also. If it's mastitis, you'll find clots in the milk.

Latest posts