3/4 vs 1 ton

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030

Reaction score
Been in the market for a new to me farm / work truck and ive been wanting a 1 ton with a flatbed. Its been like pulling teeth to find one in my area like i want that's affordable. Im a chevy guy and im partial to the duramax. Well to make a long story short a friend called tonight and his elderly neighbor has 06 or 07 dmax 3/4 ton for sale. Truck has 70k miles and has never had a trailer hooked to it. Its a reg cab, long bed, 4wd, and im thinking bout possibly buying it. Heres my question do any of yall run 3/4 tons with flatbeds, if so how do you like them. I dont haul heavy loads all the time, so i feel like the 3/4 will be ok for what im doing. I do like the idea of the dual wheels in the back for when im hauling equipment, hay, or cattle, but i also like the thought of the 3/4 bc itd be lighter for when im out and about on the farm or in the pasture. Anyways if any of yall have 3/4 with flatbeds how do you like them?

Brute im gonna go look at it in the morning. Im 95% sure ill gonna buy it, those trucks are hard to find with low miles. It dont sound like this one has been abused at all.

Kt we had a flatbed on a 1 ton chevy gasser that we sold do to some issues. I really liked the flatbed for farm work, just so much more useful to me. I know you dont see many on 3/4 trucks round here so i was curious who had them and if the liked them.

Considering what you found, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat, even if you find a few things displeasing....seems to always be something about vehicles we don't like.

Just because it's listed at ¾ ton, you and I know full well that it loads out well over that and with the lighter rated truck, your ride is move comfortable. Neighbor has such equipped with the Duramax and Allison, 4wd, long bed, regular cab. Works the wheels off that sucker and never looks back.

I've had several. Typically I have a one ton and a 3/4 flatbed both. Although right now I have two one tons. That will change soon
As brute said. No difference except the suspension. I had a Dodge with air bags and didn't care for them. Adding leaf's is a better way to go imo.

Have a 95 Dodge 2500 with a Bessler hay bed on it.

Added helper bags on the rear so it doesn't squat so bad. They're not that expensive and work great.

Generally the axle is the same between the two.

Air bags have been around for a long time. If you will notice, most OTR trucks and a lot of construction usage (Mack for one) have air bags rather than springs. You can adjust the ride per the load. Much better than springs. They have withstood the test of time....aka they apparently work and are reliable. I ran a truck and pup (rock buckets), running 80k# and no problems, ran great.

Stocker Steve":31mdc8yo said:
callmefence":31mdc8yo said:
I had a Dodge with air bags and didn't care for them. Adding leaf's is a better way to go imo.

why?

Nothing to go wrong with a leaf. Airbags where fine at first. But broken and leaking airlines and bags turned into a constant problem. My trucks do spend as much time off-road as on.
Airbags may be fine for a highway rig. But I have no use for them.

Atimm693":3i9hvcwz said:

How do you like the Besler bed? Engine driven pump or electric over hydraulic?

cfpinz":1h6hblyh said:
Atimm693":1h6hblyh said:

How do you like the Besler bed? Engine driven pump or electric over hydraulic?

Electric, has an extra battery under the access panel.

Have had the thing for 15 years, first on a 96 Chevy 3500, after we wore that truck out, had the bed repainted and switched to the Dodge over a year ago.

I've never done anything to it. It's been great. The quality of the install will dictate whether or not you will have electrical problems in the future.

callmefence":1phhq94y said:
Stocker Steve":1phhq94y said:
callmefence":1phhq94y said:
I had a Dodge with air bags and didn't care for them. Adding leaf's is a better way to go imo.

why?

Nothing to go wrong with a leaf. Airbags where fine at first. But broken and leaking airlines and bags turned into a constant problem. My trucks do spend as much time off-road as on.
Airbags may be fine for a highway rig. But I have no use for them.
I had a 95 Dodge flatbed with Firestone airbags and an onboard compressor and I loved them. When running empty let most of the air out but if pulling heavy pump em up. Having a compressor and gauges in cab is key Imo.

Pulled the trigger on the truck yesterday. Looking forward to putting her to work.

If you get a chance post some pics. It sounds like a heck of a deal. I am going to get a 08 or 09 in the near future.

My Dodge had a short bed and I replaced it with a flatbed that was locally built and for a working truck it is "much" better for my use.

Latest posts