2nd cutting

Help Support CattleToday:

But I would help someone needing hay if I can. I have been without hay also and remember very well how that is. Hauled and fed big bale corn stalks from western KY. But the cows made it through the winter on them.

slick4591":25osyvmv said:
FFF21":25osyvmv said:
I need rain soon if I am going to get a 2nd cutting. None in the forcast though.

My pasture is getting pretty crispy. Thinking about breaking out a roll. What area of the county are you in?

I'm east of Blue Ridge in Frognot. We got 1 inch of rain this week and got my hay meadow back green again after it was cut last week. I think I will be rolling out the hay real soon as well.

FFF21":18tn5ncu said:
slick4591":18tn5ncu said:
FFF21":18tn5ncu said:
I need rain soon if I am going to get a 2nd cutting. None in the forcast though.

My pasture is getting pretty crispy. Thinking about breaking out a roll. What area of the county are you in?

I'm east of Blue Ridge in Frognot. We got 1 inch of rain this week and got my hay meadow back green again after it was cut last week. I think I will be rolling out the hay real soon as well.

My farm is at Verona and we got 1.91" on Wednesday when that storm came through. I've been out there every day and it gets a little better looking each time I go out.

Well, your not too far from me then. That's great about the rain, wish we would've got that much at my place. Looks like we have a chance or rain on Wed and Friday this week. Maybe we will get a little.

I drove SH 105 from Cleveland to Navasota and up to Bryan today--then returned on hiway 30 down to FM150 and home. Hay either rolled in the fields, cut and being rolled, fields ready to be cut, or rolls stacked everywhere I looked--all along the way. The heavy March rains and those frequent little rains in July have made all the difference in the world.
It IS beginning to get dry again tho.

kenny thomas":1wsb4ltb said:
Forth cutting on the alfalfa. Second on everything else. Can easily get 2 more on the alfalfa and another on the Johnson grass. Barns all full (500 rolls) and 300 rolls outside already. I fed 100 last winter. Can hardly sell hay here at all. For sure not at break even price.
Sounds to me like you need to just let it go...shred it off and let it go back into the soil. I know most of us aren't geared to think that way.

Caustic Burno":34a3a2nn said:
houstoncutter":34a3a2nn said:
Should be getting the 3rd cutting on this sorry ol bahai in a month. What a difference a year and no cows makes

You got that right, I got hay running out my ear's.
I am stockpiling like crazy.

I made lots of hay in April before the rain stopped again. Been a month since the last rains that brought the pastures back and kept me from have to begin feeding.

I already lost one cutting due to 15 inches of rain in a week.
That hayfield is located in the fork's of two creek's, that cutting floated away.
We are still behind on total rainfall for the year but Oh it is so much better this year.

Almost done with all our second cuttings. We still have 2 fields of bahia to second cut, I hope to get them next week after this storm. We did second cuttings on some coastal fields last week. One field 160 rolls and another 145 rolls. We rolled a field of russell and field grass "water grass, crowfoot grass, crab grass or whatever you want to call it" and got 133 rolls. All 4x5s.

Latest posts