2nd cutting

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Inspite of the severe drought the rains over the last 3 weeks have really got the hay fields growing again. My neighbor is actually getting a second cutting so I am buying several bales off of him. I have a small field that is coming along and I may actually get to cut it as well. Is anybody else getting a second cutting yet?

We probebly wont take our 2nd cutting for atleast another month. Here in east TN the lack of rain has really hurt the growth of our fields. But we are stock pileing a 10ac field to let them graze on after the first frost, so that will cut down on our hay needs.

thommoos":3o82ynja said:
I have been waiting for the hay man to come for 3 weeks, so I can get IN a 3rd cutting :D

Awww......come on man! Quit rubbing it in! :mrgreen: We got a whole whopping .5" the whole month of June with 100+ degree heat for days on end. Our grass was like wheat straw. The last 3 weeks has seen some pretty good rain and everything is green and growing again. Some folks have really had it rough in the mid-west and plains. I really feel for those folks.

We have been waiting for it to quit raining so we could get the first cutting. But those wh o cut silage or haylage are getting a great second.

The bermuda patches will be getting a third in a couple weeks. The bahia will be starting on seconds tomorrow.

Doubt we will get any second cutting here, already having to pasture some hay ground to avoid feeding hay.

The weeds are taking over my pastures its like the grass growth is stunted and weeds are thriving I will be spraying 24d this weekend its a shame I had a ton of clover in there.

If the showers keep coming we should get a good second. We really need it as the first was only about 40% what it usually is. Good to hear you are going to be able to come up with enough Hoss.

Forth cutting on the alfalfa. Second on everything else. Can easily get 2 more on the alfalfa and another on the Johnson grass. Barns all full (500 rolls) and 300 rolls outside already. I fed 100 last winter. Can hardly sell hay here at all. For sure not at break even price.

KT have you thought about square baling some and hauling it out west and then bring a load of cows back? I don't know how the prices compare out there to you but it could be an option.

There selling cows cheap here right now... a few are selling after their hay is gone. Pasture is gone a little water in ponds cows are drinking city water at $200 month. Hoping I sold enough girls early spring to keep from having to really give them away as things might get worse. Lots of folks talking about selling out.
valerie

FFF21":1e16d950 said:
I need rain soon if I am going to get a 2nd cutting. None in the forcast though.

My pasture is getting pretty crispy. Thinking about breaking out a roll. What area of the county are you in?

No second cutting here, I was able to find some more ground to cut, hoping it's enough! Sadly I only got the land because a neighbor sold out and gave up the lease. Many in the area are selling out or down to bare bones. Rain keeps bypassing us, today we had a 80% chance of showers...it sprinkled for 5 minutes.

circlew":300i4ghb said:
KT have you thought about square baling some and hauling it out west and then bring a load of cows back? I don't know how the prices compare out there to you but it could be an option.

Truck are hauling calves west already and just looking to pick up cows on the return. Hauling hay in a potbelly is a pain that I dont want. Been there done that. Have to clean trailer every time also.

kenny thomas":1c0qq9xw said:
circlew":1c0qq9xw said:

Truck are hauling calves west already and just looking to pick up cows on the return. Hauling hay in a potbelly is a pain that I dont want. Been there done that. Have to clean trailer every time also.

Understand.

Latest posts