2nd calf

Help Support CattleToday:

bharmon_15

Reaction score
We bought 25 Angus heifers last year and all calved good. How long will it take to have their 2nd calf? They started calving in March with most born in April and May. We put two Angus bulls with them to play it safe last May. Do we need to get them preg checked?

Probably should have preg checked in the fall, anything that was open could have taken the ride. You have already fed them until now, so I would just wait and see who calves out.

Depends on when you put the bulls in, what kinda nutrition program you had them on as to how soon they bred back. 2nd timers are notoriously late, but don't have to be if you don't treat them lie a full grown adult cow when you feed them (they need a bit extra).

There is no hard and fast answer..some will get their heat back 21 days after calfing, some may take 2 or 3 months..many variables like genetics, nutrition, bull efficacy,

And of course this all ASSUMES the bulls were tested and proven.

We've had heifers not breed back until we weaned the calf off of them. You never know with heifers. I had one do that this year and if she wasn't my first cow that I bought and raised from when she was 6 months old and her first calf wasn't such a good calf she would already be sold. Now shes due to calve in November so I'm counting on her for next year.