2nd calf heifer with no milk

Help Support CattleToday:

Talltimber is right,different years, different conditions will cause some cows to have more or less tolerance to fescue. There is a farm here that we recently went to a bull sale, and they espouse that their cattle are on fescue and they are bred to perform on fescue. I mean it is a big promotion in their sale paper and at the sale they told how they were breeding for cattle that were able to tolerate it and perform by being fertile, having and raising and weaning nice calves. We have a fair amount of fescue in several of our rented pastures, and I can always tell the cattle that came off them when they are all penned together just by their condition etc. Some do alot better than others. My dairy cross cows do not. We have had some abortion issues and the vet attributed it the fescue pasture where they were. It doesn't make the milk with the dairy cattle near as much as other hays. If you can get her to come to milk with this work you've put into her, then when it comes time to wean the calf you need to make some real time decisions as to her status.

Good Luck.

I might have misled, so I will clarify. My pastures are predominantly fescue and are treated as such. In the spring, and the fall with sufficient rain, I will have some amount of clover. In the summer, when the fescue quits growing, I will have some wsg's come on, some pastures more than others. I don't want to misrepresent with the ALL fescue, all the time statement when that just isn't true.
We welcome what little additional cut to the fescue we can get.

Talltimber i understand what your saying and i am in the same boat. Spring and fall i have mostly fescue with some clover. I get the summer grasses in the pastures just as you. So im not fesuce all the time. I also understand that each year is different and alot of variables can affect how the cattle perform. I find it interesting to see how things affect the cattle differently. Im seriously considering that this cow will be culled once i wean the calf if all goes well. Two years in a row with some issues so i think its time to find one thatll work for me instead of me working for her.

Sd1030":32plxlza said:
Talltimber i understand what your saying and i am in the same boat. Spring and fall i have mostly fescue with some clover. I get the summer grasses in the pastures just as you. So im not fesuce all the time. I also understand that each year is different and alot of variables can affect how the cattle perform. I find it interesting to see how things affect the cattle differently. Im seriously considering that this cow will be culled once i wean the calf if all goes well. Two years in a row with some issues so i think its time to find one thatll work for me instead of me working for her.
Unless she's in the world series, 2 strikes and your out should be her fate.