2nd calf heifer (milk)

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Nice surprise yesterday when I checked cows.Had a bull calf,was not expecting it for another week.But does not look like cow is giving much milk.Cow does have milk, just didnt look like bag was tight before calf or after.Have seen calf suck but cant tell if getting milk.Milk EPD is a 2 on cow and did not raise a huge calf last year but did raise it on her own.Will watch and keep an eye on it. 83 lbs. calf and another bull. 95% BULLS. MURPHYS LAW I guess.JHH

I'm, not real sure but wouldn;t 2 for milk be in the bottom couple of percentages for Herefords? If so, I sure wouldn;t expect her to raise much of a calf.
It may not be this case, but that is the kind of results you see when a terminal bulls heifers are kept as replacements.

dun

Yes 2 is at the bottom.Did not know much about epds when I purchased her.She is very big framed (7).But that doesnt make up for the lack of milk.almost all of our cows are 5 and 6 frame and wanted to get just alittle more frame in herd.Bull is a 6.3 frame.Probably wouldnt keep any heifers from her anyway.JHH

Well, look at the dairy folks. Calf only needs a gallon of milk per day. Sure a calf doesn't grow FAST on that, but it's enough to keep them alive, healthy, and growing in time to calve somewhere around 2 years of age.

A gallon really isn't much - I've seen plenty of small udders on dairy cows that weren't tight and didn't look like there was much of anything, and they were still giving 2-3 gallons/day. Some of 'em four gallons. Not enough to buy their place in the milking herd - ship 'em pronto - but that's certainly more than enough for a calf.

Thanks for the encouraging words MM.Still dont think I would keep a heifer out of her, will see how she does this time and she may get culled depends.JHH

JHH":wj2nhw3z said:
Thanks for the encouraging words MM.Still dont think I would keep a heifer out of her, will see how she does this time and she may get culled depends.JHH

I'd say it is the wrong time to be going to a seven frame score. I don't want more than a six in my herd.

Latest posts