257 Roberts

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":hwia2ou0 said:
I traded for a Ruger M77 today in 257 Roberts caliber.

A somewhat popular round after WWII before the velocity craze got going strong.
I like the Ruger company story and the look of many of their guns - - but I have not been impressed with their rifle accuracy.
Brother had a beautiful M77 with a medium barrel. It cost him a lot of game before I convinced him it was trade bait. Clean yours, shoot it, and then decide if it is trade bait or a keeper.

On a semi-related subject. I have been working on a load for my son's new .257 Weatherby Vanguard. Using IMR 7828 Nosler 110gr Accubonds, and Federal primers. Not getting great groups and not sure why. Well I found some cases that were primed with Winchester primers and loaded those. What a difference. The groups shrunk down to 1/2 in. So I am thru with load developement.

I have about 50 Weatherby cases for that rifle so i am going to use them for his hunting rounds and am experimenting with forming 7Mag cases to use for some coyote rounds. They form pretty easy and with brass very hard to find (and expensive) hopefully they will work. The only downside is you lose a lot of neck doing it that way!

The 257 Wthby is my favorite of the Wthby rounds. In the gun shop we would build 3-4 of them a year for the desert shooting.

I'm finding I don't like the federal primers. The cci just seems crisper and cleaner.
If you like the 7828 try some of the 7828ssc on your cases that are close to compressed loads if you haven't already. Pretty darn good powder so far.

hooknline":yxrr0i6n said:
I'm finding I don't like the federal primers. The cci just seems crisper and cleaner.
If you like the 7828 try some of the 7828ssc on your cases that are close to compressed loads if you haven't already. Pretty darn good powder so far.
Years ago when I used them it seemed like in smaller cases the Federals had about the same affect on group size as using magnum CCIs. That was in cases from 25-06 on down. I finally settled on Winchesters and haven;t found anything that they cause issues with for accuracy/velocity or standard deviation
Read an article a while back that said they had better success in hornet sized cases with pistol primers.

That's good to know. I've got about 800 federal left and might just save them for any smaller cases or trade them out