25 calves (what to do)

Help Support CattleToday:

we all can tell you our thoughts on what todo with your calves.but your the 1 that has to decide when to sale them.i know i would not bother to cut them,send them as bulls.now theres a major shortage of calves.so just about any type of calf is selling high an wide.the feedlots are getting away from the light calves 700lbs an under as much as they can.because it takes to much feed an time to get them to finish weight.

Limomike":d55wp0u1 said:
Bigfoot":d55wp0u1 said:
Just my personal opinion----------I don't think we do the cattle industry any favors when we wean calves on the way to the yard. If everybody helped the guy in front of or behind them, we would all see higher prices.

Ok. If you come and pay my feed bill for weaning my calves, then you will be helping a guy either in front of behind you.. then.. we can get those higher prices.. but wait..Higher than now? wow.. cant imagine that.. but bring it on!!

Meaning weaned and settled calves are worth more. Parts of the country are known as wean and sell states. Everyone in that area suffers from the stereo type at the sale barn.

If these calves have not been casterated, I assume they have not been through the chute at all or have anything done to them yet.

I guess my recommendation would be to leave the calves on the cow for now and work the entire herd. Casterate the bull calves and give all calves a round of shots. Use killed virus vaccine if your cows have not been vaccinated in the previous 12 months.

After a month they should be healed up and over the stress of the castrating and shots. Then you can make a decision to sell off the cow or wean them. If you wean them I would recommend waiting another 30 days to sell them.

I sold some steers last fall only 2 weeks after I had worked them and given fall shots. A few I had castrated were still swelled a bit so I kept those at home. The fresh brands were not peeled yet so I had to sign a brand affadavit for the brand inspector. The next cut of calves I sold were totally healed up and the brands were peeled.