24x24 Garage

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I am toying with an idea of having a 24x24 garage built and im looking online at some of the price data and its pretty old has anyone build a 24x24 garage lately and not mind sharing cost ? I want a floor above the garage to hold some get togethers and pool table as well as card tables.

It's been a few years back, but I think we had about $25000 in ours. If you need to put 2 cars in a 16ft door gets pretty tight. It would be nice to have 2 9or10ft doors, then you're gonna be bigger than 24X24.

You can go to Menards website and see some plans and get a good idea on cost of materials .

Larry

Thanks Larry I would only be putting 1 car in there and it would be my other halfs car. I am gonna go look at that site thanks for the suggestion I need to plan and budget and decide when I can start that project.

Think seriously about going bigger. Swelling the building a little want add much to the bottom line. It's the same number of doors, windows, lights etc.

Bigfoot what size garage do you recommend? I just said 24x24 because thats all I ever hear about people building. Thanks M5farm. I want this to cost no more than $30,000 completed.

skyhightree1":3quorzdz said:
Bigfoot what size garage do you recommend? I just said 24x24 because thats all I ever hear about people building. Thanks M5farm. I want this to cost no more than $30,000 completed.
Buy that sawmill and you will be able to build it for a fraction of that.

I built a 30x30 2 years ago. I did 85% of work and it is insulated, plastered and heated. Only things I did not do was concrete, garage doors, and plastering. Came in between 30-35,000.

In the last 25 years my dad has built nearly 1000 buildings like this, the smallest i would go with would be a 30x40, if you don't need to don't go over 10 foot on your side walls that will really help with cost. I can't remember exactly what the last one we bid came out to but i think it was real close to 22,000. That is 10 foot tall with a 16ft insulated door, the best painted metal you can buy, and gravel, concrete, rebar, labor, wireing. That did not cover any insulating or lineing the inside with metal but that can be done later. You could save some with galvalume rather than painted for the roof and walls. I really think you should be able to get a 30x40 fineshed pretty nice for 30,000 or less.

If I was to build my "dream garage", I would build it at least tall, long, and door size enough for 2 full size crew cab pickups. Ideal would be one door big enough to get a 100HP loader tractor with 8'W bucket and 8'W snowblower.

Some extra room for workbench and smaller winter projects would be nice. Good quality insulated house type windows for natural light near the work area. Insulate the be nice out of it, get the best quality insulated doors you can find (with electric openers) and heat with floor heat. Spray foam seems to be THE big thing for insulation nowdays.

Floor drains under the vehicles a must. Drains will get rid of excess water and floor heat will dry the floor. If you really want to splurge, add hot and cold running water so you can pressure wash your vehicles inside.

Guess I would forget about calling what I propose a garage, and call it a shop. :D

Atlaest 2 floor drains are a must imo. I have been thinking, instead of a 24x24 with a floor over it for a room, build a 30x40 put a 16ft door in one end, and build a wall across the building at 24ft so you will have a 30 wide 24 deep garage and a 16x30 room for your stuff.

If you stay under 40 foot for a width the square foot price will go down as you get larger. Provided you don't add extras. Length should work the same way. Concrete is your killer.

Bigfoot":3au7bvui said:
If you stay under 40 foot for a width the square foot price will go down as you get larger. Provided you don't add extras. Length should work the same way. Concrete is your killer.
I agree, how much is concrete a yard there? here it is staying around 100$.

M5farm":3vp712lp said:
skyhightree1":3vp712lp said:
Buy that sawmill and you will be able to build it for a fraction of that.

LOL my better half talked me out of that one said im too busy as it is and she would never see me and the sawmill i wanted was pretty expensive so being honest with myself its cheaper to take logs to the mill.

AllForage":3vt3vdib said:
I built a 30x30 2 years ago. I did 85% of work and it is insulated, plastered and heated. Only things I did not do was concrete, garage doors, and plastering. Came in between 30-35,000.

I can do the insulation sheating and flooring siding I really only need it framed and engineered to hold weight i can work on it some each day till its done I just preferred it to be completely finished in one swoop.

denver I am calling about the concrete tomorrow and will find out Yes I am thinking it would probably be 14 ft walls. what you are saying sounds like exactly what I am gonna need and completely reasonable.

Bigfoot":1nlypbs6 said:

I looked at some hay pole buildings (no walls) and the cost per sq foot went up a little as the width increased past 32 feet. Does this make sense due to roof cost?

I'm going to say they are bringing in something to handle the trusses with after 32 feet. I bring in the big gun at 40.

Latest posts