24DB and Clover

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
Is this DB formula supposed to be just as affective at broadleaf control? We are in process of getting hay up. Weeds have a decent grip in parts of our fields. Has been a long time since any herbicide was applied.

We have amazing clover right now, and I don't want to kill it out afraid the grass wouldn't fill the void fast enough. But I have to do something or it will be terrible again next year.

From what I'm hearing, This DB formula is clover safe. But I wondered if it was affective on less of a variety of weeds since it doesn't hurt clover.

Would I be better to let it go and spray this Fall? The hay will be full of stuff by time to cut again.

Also, wondered if fertilizing hurts clover? What is y'alls experience?

Fertilizer does not hurt clover. If I was going to spray the B would be my choice. If it was white clover, I'd probably try a pint of regular 24D. Don't you do it, just because I would.

In my somewhat limited experience, 2,4DB did very well on nearly all broadleaf weeds. I never really looked things over close enough to verify if it missed any particular type, but as far as I understand it's effective on nearly everything but legumes. I've always had very good luck with it, just wish it was priced closer to regular 2,4D.
That being said, getting the pH to where it needs to be and adding the correct fertilizer can make a world of difference without one drop of herbicide.

i spray 1 pt 2,4D ester in the early spring.it gets thistle and wild buttercups. my white clover seems to survive.sometimes i apply it mixed with fertilizer.

I ran 125 gallons of Amine mix on Monday as a test. Went to check it this morning, it somewhat affected the clover, but nothing like it did on buttercups and the like. I must say, I am pretty sure i mixed it strong. And put it down thick.

Maybe the BD isn't necessary. Of course, timing could have something to do with it.

Thanks for the insight

Latest posts