24D plus Fertilizer ?

Help Support CattleToday:

arkcowman

Reaction score
Is 24D a cool weather application ? Do I need to wait until the weeds begin growing ?
Do I want to hold off applying fertilizer until after the 24D application ? How long after ?

Arkcowman

24D only works on actively growing weeds. It would be useless during the dormant season. I'm not aware of any relationship/interaction between 24D and fertilizer.

If weeds are a serious problem I would give some that to using Grzaqon P+D rather the 2,4-d. The residual will help with the second sporuting of weeds.

It is not totally useless in the dormant season if you're trying to kill winter weeds that are sprouoting now. If you want to get rid of the clover, spray it when you see it.

Angus/Brangus":2q7qznxr said:
dun":2q7qznxr said:
If weeds are a serious problem I would give some that to using Grzaqon P+D rather the 2,4-d. The residual will help with the second sporuting of weeds.

Wouldn't that residual knock down chances of Clover coming up the following Spring or is that a moot point becasue 2-4D would knock it out anyway?

It may be the soil type but we haven;t had a problem getting anything to come up after 3 months or so using Grazon. If you use it a copule of times a year there may be a onger term affect but I only use it once a year in the summer.

The fertilizer co. I use will mix 2-4D with liquid N and spray it on your pasture. I've had it done more than a few times after last frost. It's pretty cheap. (The2-4D, not the N). Gets rid of mares tails and most dog-fennels. No effect whatsoever on horsenettles.

ga. prime":15ou18la said:
The fertilizer co. I use will mix 2-4D with liquid N and spray it on your pasture. I've had it done more than a few times after last frost. It's pretty cheap. (The2-4D, not the N). Gets rid of mares tails and most dog-fennels. No effect whatsoever on horsenettles.

You may try uesing a "weedmaster" insted of just 2-4D. I sprayed my hay fields just last Saturday "Feb 16,2008" With "Brash" that is the coop brand of weedmaster whitch is 2-4D and dicamba. It will sure clean up and early season broad leaf stuff. Most of the guys are spraying hay fields with round up this time of year but I wanted to get a cutting of ryegrass whitch I have a good stand.
Now for pastures I don't spray until all the clover goes dormant in mid summer then I use 2-4d with a little remedy to clean up dogfinel and such.

We always spary 24D and Nitrogen togather. Especailly on oats in the spring. On my bermuda I spray roundup about one month before it comes out

To get the horsnettle you need to spray it in the bloom before it sets berrys.

Recommended rate is 2 pints if I am not mistaken.

Had a few spots that it was beginning to get out of control. Sprayed it last year with good results. Hasn't come back yet. We will know in a few more months.

Last weekend I sprayed 12 ounces of Roundup over some bermuda hayfields that had some vassey grass in them. This is a nice, cheap spray that will sure make the first cutting look as good as the second.

I've heard of guys around here spraying their bermuda grass hay fields with round up after cutting. One guy said it needs to be done within 5 days after cutting while its still brown before green up. Anyone else heard of this.

arkie 74":4yjd6ivv said:
I've heard of guys around here spraying their bermuda grass hay fields with round up after cutting. One guy said it needs to be done within 5 days after cutting while its still brown before green up. Anyone else heard of this.

The experiment station here did this treatment just after moving the bales off the field. Said it worked good. Did say not to do more than one treatment per year though but I don't know why. I chose to do it in the winter as my main demon is Vassey Grass and it doesn't get winter killed. It is a shame its not good feed cause it seems to grow all year.

Jogeephus":2x224yb5 said:
...my main demon is Vassey Grass and it doesn't get winter killed. It is a shame its not good feed cause it seems to grow all year.

There must be something about the location. I had a colony growing behind a tank dam that has a seep. The cattle literally ate it to death.

milesvb":3bv287m8 said:
Jogeephus":3bv287m8 said:
...my main demon is Vassey Grass and it doesn't get winter killed. It is a shame its not good feed cause it seems to grow all year.

There must be something about the location. I had a colony growing behind a tank dam that has a seep. The cattle literally ate it to death.

My worst problem is in an unfenced hayfield. Could be the biggest problem due to the lack of grazing. Just don't want it spread all over creation. I hate the stuff.

milesvb":3j37z8bk said:
Jogeephus":3j37z8bk said:

What's Vassey Grass?