24D and red clover.

Help Support CattleToday:

MissouriExile

Reaction score
I am going to frost seed red clover over tall fescue this winter. Roughly how many pounds of seed per acre should I use?
Will 24D kill the red clover if sprayed for weed killing in the spring?

Thanks in advance

Jon

MissouriExile":3s6ujlns said:
I am going to frost seed red clover over tall fescue this winter. Roughly how many pounds of seed per acre should I use?
Will 24D kill the red clover if sprayed for weed killing in the spring?

Thanks in advance

Jon

For Texas, 10 to 20 lbs per acre is recommended.

24D will kill any and all dicots (Dicotyledons). Clover is a dicot.

Around 7.5 - 10 lbs per acre based on pure live seed. I usually just stick with 10 lbs and forget about calculating germination and all the other hocuspocus.
It depnds on when you spray as to the severity of the clover kill. Before the clover has sprouted it won;t do anything, after the clover has grown well and has toughened some it will set it back pretty bad but won;t kill it comletely.
You need to look at pasture improvement as a multi-year process. Seed and fuel are getting too expensive to waste. We have spot sprayed areas that aren't too bad, those that are too weedy or the weeds are to spred out we hit with Grazon P+D in the spring after the grass has sprouted well. In late summer we hit it again with 2,4-d to control the late sprouting weeds. Then in Jan-Feb we frost seed clover. It's work really well for us. BTW, if you have henbit, you'll never really get a good handle on it. Maybe succesive sprayings of Grazon but 2,4-d will just wilt it and it will come back as if it's been fertilized. Seems that even Roundup doesn;t have a lot of affect on it.

If you want to spray 24d you need to do so in feb when you have 3 days of 55+ temp. It will kill clovers if sprayed at wrong time. In feb and march the clover is still dormant and you should not see any harm to the clover. I have done this and it worked for me in Middle tenn area.
also make sure you use the right 24D. they have ester and amine. rule of thumb here is ester before easter. after easter amine.

dillardangus":4ucwyhop said:
If you want to spray 24d you need to do so in feb when you have 3 days of 55+ temp. It will kill clovers if sprayed at wrong time. In feb and march the clover is still dormant and you should not see any harm to the clover. I have done this and it worked for me in Middle tenn area.
also make sure you use the right 24D. they have ester and amine. rule of thumb here is ester before easter. after easter amine.

Boy, my ignorance is massive.... I thought 24D had to be sprayed on actively growing weeds etc, that it has to be sprayed on leaves. Even after 3 55 degree days in february the weeds would still be dormant.
I know I'm wrong.... Just don't know where.

Jon

I agree - weeds have to be actively growing for 24d to work.
Best advice per Dun - Renovation is a multi-year project. I spent the first year spraying and killing weeds, fertilizing & lime. and disked and planted some areas. Some areas drilled grass seed.
Plan to frost seed some clover this winter now that pastures are in shape.

use 2-4 DB , It will not kill the clover . It is buterac. usually not in stock . I usually have to order from the chemical dealer a few weeks in advance

if you have 3 days of warm weather the grass is no longer dormant. it starts to green up a little and clover being a hot weather grass it will remain dormant even if you have a few days of warm weather. I am telling you 2,4-D in feb when you have 3 days of warm (above 55) weather will kill buttercup and thistle great and clover will be fine. dont spray after march 15th. i do this and it worked great

dillardangus":3d562h1a said:
if you have 3 days of warm weather the grass is no longer dormant. it starts to green up a little and clover being a hot weather grass it will remain dormant even if you have a few days of warm weather. I am telling you 2,4-D in feb when you have 3 days of warm (above 55) weather will kill buttercup and thistle great and clover will be fine. dont spray after march 15th. i do this and it worked great

Thank you sir;

I don't doubt your advice just trying to clear up my foggy understanding. I am going to try that on a few acres and see if I have any luck. I am mostly concerned with briar that was cleared this summer.

By the way; I was born just down the road from Dickson in Waverly, Humpreys County Tennessee. I still have people there and around White Oak. Beautiful country.

Jon

MissouriExile":1vfzq5c7 said:
I am mostly concerned with briar that was cleared this summer.

2,4-d won;t do jack for briars/blackberrys. Remedy or one of the other stemmy weed killers, I think Tordon is one, are what's needed.

dun":2btjce5l said:
MissouriExile":2btjce5l said:
I am mostly concerned with briar that was cleared this summer.

2,4-d won;t do jack for briars/blackberrys. Remedy or one of the other stemmy weed killers, I think Tordon is one, are what's needed.

this is sorta off the subject, but
what is exactly what you call briar? is it multiflora,? 24d will only kill it when it is in full leaf,blackberries are another story.
what i use here, that really whacks the tough ones and is cost affective is half 24d and half tordon. tordon is so expensive, but this is a way that cuts cost and does work very well to kill the tougher ones, with one good spray. this i use to spot spray from atv...............

sodfarmer490":1o8g62zg said:
what i use here, that really whacks the tough ones and is cost affective is half 24d and half tordon.

How does it work compared to Remedy.

dun":waugqwlv said:
sodfarmer490":waugqwlv said:
what i use here, that really whacks the tough ones and is cost affective is half 24d and half tordon.

don't know, have not used remedy, altho have heard of it.

24d/tordon/surfactant - used it on lots of amaranth(wormwood) 4 ft. tall and it just rolled its roots out of the ground., no respray next year. cleared one 34 acre field of st. johnswort, which is a tuff perennial. c. thistle. i like to spray, but i only like to spray once. lots of knapweed and a bunch of others that are not a big problem and can't remember their names right now. weed board person told me to mix these two and it does work great, for spot spraying, now i would check on pasturing animals if i boom sprayed a field with it. and re seeding might be a problem with the long lasting tordan in it. can't spray near the streams either.........guess that's all.

Miss Know where you are from. family has a farm at corner of halls creek rd and tenn ridge rd. use to be the old Ms Ruth Medlin farm.

sodfarmer490":mf7744vx said:
dun":mf7744vx said:
sodfarmer490":mf7744vx said:

don't know, have not used remedy, altho have heard of it.

24d/tordon/surfactant - used it on lots of amaranth(wormwood) 4 ft. tall and it just rolled its roots out of the ground., no respray next year. cleared one 34 acre field of st. johnswort, which is a tuff perennial. c. thistle. i like to spray, but i only like to spray once. lots of knapweed and a bunch of others that are not a big problem and can't remember their names right now. weed board person told me to mix these two and it does work great, for spot spraying, now i would check on pasturing animals if i boom sprayed a field with it. and re seeding might be a problem with the long lasting tordan in it. can't spray near the streams either.........guess that's all.

IIRC Tordon + 2,4 D = Grazon P+D. I think the active ingredients are the same, not sure about the percentages though... OL JR :)

cowtrek":2s6i80pi said:
IIRC Tordon + 2,4 D = Grazon P+D. I think the active ingredients are the same, not sure about the percentages though... OL JR :)

Just looked it up. Tordon is 24% picloram Grazon is 10%

Latest posts