24D and grazing cattle questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Eastwaviking

Reaction score
I just sprayed my pasture with 24d to kill the dang knapweed.
I put my cattle in a small pasture. How long should I wait until I let them out into the sprayed pasture. How long should I wait to butcher?

thanks.

Mine said 7 days for cutting for hay. 30 days for cattle grazing. I haven't quite figured that one out yet. Seems if you can't graze then you can't cut. Maybe someone will explain but that's what my containers say.

Bama":1jrqz3bn said:
Ain't no grazing restrictions except for dairy cattle with 2,4-d

You are correct. I was working from memory which ain't too good. Still 30 days for hay harvest.

I would read the label carefully to find out the info. Every 2,4D product has a different length of time. I use HI DEP since it doens't kill my alfalfa or clover and the interval is 3 days.

Use this link and type in the product name to see what the label says: http://www.cdms.net/manuf/manuf.asp .

I normally wait a little longer than the recommended interval to be on the safe side.

Bobg

Used 2-4 D for 15 years, never have taken cattle off yet.

I want to spray my coastal field with 2 4D, but thought it should be done in late fall/early spring before growing season.

Can it be sprayed at any time during the year with good results?

A6gal":38lm7gsw said:
I want to spray my coastal field with 2 4D, but thought it should be done in late fall/early spring before growing season.

Can it be sprayed at any time during the year with good results?

I just sprayed a couple weeks ago mainly because anghere just finished my sprayer :lol: I never really had a bad weed problem until a couple years back. I sprayed mainly to get the black-eyed-susan's. It worked and I have seen no ill effects. IMO you are correct early spring is the best time but I wasn't ready.

around here they tell us you not to spray with 24d after about april sometimes... cant remember the exact date..

this is because it will travel and kill farmers crops.. cant remember the fancy word for it. :lol: they will give you quite a lecture on it if you try to buy it after that magic date.

from the sound of this thread sounds like a lot of you spray it anytime you want.. is the problem of killing crops over stressed?

just curious..

jt

jt":kmffe5ye said:
around here they tell us you not to spray with 24d after about april sometimes... cant remember the exact date..

this is because it will travel and kill farmers crops.. cant remember the fancy word for it. :lol: they will give you quite a lecture on it if you try to buy it after that magic date.

from the sound of this thread sounds like a lot of you spray it anytime you want.. is the problem of killing crops over stressed?

just curious..

jt

There are 2 types of 2,4-d. I don;t remeber which is which, but one will drift and cause problems with crops, the other won;t(supposedly).
Spraying with any herbicide that is a contact type needs to be done when the type of plant you want to kill has sprouted and is activly growing. If they're too mature they're hard to kill and obviously if they haven;t sprouted you can;t kill them. I've found that with weeds that grow the best this time of year, dry, it's much more succesfull if you spray when they're dewy. Seems that if there isn;t any dew it takes a lot longer for them to start to show the affects and they end up just getting sickly then recovering.

dun

thanks dun,

i certainly didnt know there were 2 kinds of 24d... all they talk about around here is the drifting kind.. and

a couple of months back at a cattlemens meeting we had a weed expert give a talk.. it was very interesting. he talked about when to spray certain plants, and if you didnt spray some of them at the right time you were wasting your time.

jt

Eastwaviking...we're in Spokane county also...let us know how the 2 4D works out. We have a knapweed problem that is starting to get out of control and would like to treat it this fall. Thought of discing and replanting...the weed control folks haven't been by since the annual spring mailing.
What kind of callte do you run?
Dave Mc

Susie David":dqw48pm0 said:
Eastwaviking...we're in Spokane county also...let us know how the 2 4D works out. We have a knapweed problem that is starting to get out of control and would like to treat it this fall. Thought of discing and replanting...the weed control folks haven't been by since the annual spring mailing.
What kind of callte do you run?
Dave Mc

I had my pasture sprayed last year with curtail, and it worked great, very little returning knapweed. I was just spot spraying 24d Amine this year with my 4 wheeler and I think I was a little late, the knapweed is blooming and pretty tough this time of year. I think I'll do the whole thing again earlier next year. As far as my cattle, I just have a bunch of holstein steers that I raise for beef, sort of a full time hobby. You can go to http://www.kccattleranch.com if you'd like.

jt":2dr9bbtj said:
thanks dun,

i certainly didnt know there were 2 kinds of 24d... all they talk about around here is the drifting kind.. and

a couple of months back at a cattlemens meeting we had a weed expert give a talk.. it was very interesting. he talked about when to spray certain plants, and if you didnt spray some of them at the right time you were wasting your time.

jt

Seeing the later post made me recall, 2,4-d Amine and 2,4-d Ester are the two types. I just did a little checking, Amine is the stuff that causes problems with some crops, Ester doesn;t

dun

The biggest problem with 2,4-d is nearby cotton. I think it can't be sprayed within 4 miles of cotton. It will kill weeds at any stage. As dun mentioned earlier it is much better to get the weeds in the growing stage. It takes a lot more after they mature. Its much cheaper to do it early. Also other grasses will not be as damaged at the lower rate.