24% solid feed supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Are the 24% solid feed supplement (200 lbs tubs) worth the time and money? From what I can read on the paper they have about everything cattle should have. Or they just blowing smoke? Also is there anything special I should give my girls this winter being that they are going to be mothers this spring. Thanks for your input, I need the help. If it's any help I live in southeastern IN.

> Are the 24% solid feed supplement
> (200 lbs tubs) worth the time and
> money? From what I can read on the
> paper they have about everything
> cattle should have. Or they just
> blowing smoke? Also is there
> anything special I should give my
> girls this winter being that they
> are going to be mothers this
> spring. Thanks for your input, I
> need the help. If it's any help I
> live in southeastern IN.

I think a lot depends on your quality of hay and minerals,I used to put out those big tubs of supplement in the winter,but I found that my springer cows were geting to heavy and fat and having causing calving problems,so I cut it down to just a couple of the supplement blocks,depending on how good my hay was and how much fescue and forage I had in my pasture.Of course I am in the south and with the mild winters weve been having my pasture,fescue hay and a good mineral salt seems to be plenty for mine. If you over supplement your cows and they get too fat, you can run into trouble come calving time.

[email protected]

I have found that the tubs are pretty costly compared to other ways of supplmenting the cows. It is cheaper for me to use soybean meal for protein, mineral for mineral and salt for salt. They get enough energy from hay and silage. Of course, I am a cow-slave, so my labor means nothing. If you are not a cow-slave, then it might be worth your while to use the tubs. They are the ultimate in EASY!!!!

[email protected]

The hay that I have is what we call orchard grass. It is the cheepest stuff one can get. The only stuff one can get here for a good price. Think I will stay with tub and keep eye on it to see how much they consume of it. Thanks again!

Get an analysis of the OG hay. You may be pleasently surprised and find you don't need any supplement other then maybe some corn during severe cold weather. When you first start feeding tubs, they will eat ther stuff like candy, even though it has an intake limiter. The next tub they won;t eat so fast. But if the run out for a couple of days, they're right back to the candy mode.

dunmovin farms

> The hay that I have is what we
> call orchard grass. It is the
> cheepest stuff one can get. The
> only stuff one can get here for a
> good price. Think I will stay with
> tub and keep eye on it to see how
> much they consume of it. Thanks
> again!

Latest posts