22 mag or ?

Help Support CattleToday:

SANDTRAP

Reaction score
i need a rifle to carry with me for general varmit control
i have an sks and a mini 14
but both have a very loud report so the neighbors are always wanting to know what i'm shooting at.
so i'd like to get something with a little more stealth.
any recommendations?

The main issue he addressed was the noise. The 22 Hornet was developed many years ago for just that reason. Varmint shooting in the crowded NE was made it famous.

I have a buddy that lives in a similar type situation as you. He uses a Ruger M77 in .17HMR. I have seen first hand what it does to a yote when hit through the lungs. No exit wound but inside was like a grenade went off in there.

I use a .22LR with CCI Stinger ammo. Out to 75 yards it is pretty tough on a feral cat and inside 50 yards it will wear out a yote if it solidly.

Have a neighbor that also uses a .17 HMR on yotes. Said about same thing!

On a sidebar:

Is the .17 damage due to velocity (or) due to hollow point (or) due to foot pounds of impact ?? Just curious.

I guess in my naive brain I've always thought a BIG calibre projectile would do more damage and better guarantee "one shot, one kill" thing than a small low grain projectile. (Whether or not for 2 or 4 legged predator targets).

HOSS":2mx86coo said:
I have a buddy that lives in a similar type situation as you. He uses a Ruger M77 in .17HMR. I have seen first hand what it does to a yote when hit through the lungs. No exit wound but inside was like a grenade went off in there.

I use a .22LR with CCI Stinger ammo. Out to 75 yards it is pretty tough on a feral cat and inside 50 yards it will wear out a yote if it solidly.

There is also a shorter version of the 17 based on the stinger case. It is real quiet and very deadly out to 75 to 100 yds. It's called the .17 Mach II

I've got a Savage 17HMR. Very accurate and does a lot of damage to whatever you hit with it. A box of 50 bullets is $11. I use the CCI 17 grain V-max poly tips. A shot to the chest area of a dog like creature will very likely bring forth some howling for about ten seconds or so before the lights go out. A shot within an inch or so of a dog like creature's brain is instant death. I wouldn't really call it quiet but I guess it is relatively speaking.

ga. prime":1kgb7t6p said:
I've got a Savage 17HMR. Very accurate and does a lot of damage to whatever you hit with it. A box of 50 bullets is $11. I use the CCI 17 grain V-max poly tips. A shot to the chest area of a dog like creature will very likely bring forth some howling for about ten seconds or so before the lights go out. A shot within an inch or so of a dog like creature's brain is instant death. I wouldn't really call it quiet but I guess it is relatively speaking.

We got some of them "dog like creatures" too. Had two of them kill a calf this fall. Couldn't get a bead on them the day I caught them but I put them on my list of things to do. A few weeks later I saw the two "dog like creatures" in the ROW on the state road that cuts across the place. I stopped within range and began to go into the problem elimination stance when I got this eerie feeling in my gut. I put up everything and waited a minute or two. Then a jeep - driven by another dog-like creature - and her neanderthal looking cohort pulls up and picks up the dog-like creatures. They are still on my "to-do list" but I am sure glad I didn't do them that day. It was already ugly enough but I'm sure it would have gotten wretchedly ugly had I squeezed one off. :nod:

Jogeephus":f9ebsukw said:
ga. prime":f9ebsukw said:

We got some of them "dog like creatures" too. Had two of them kill a calf this fall. Couldn't get a bead on them the day I caught them but I put them on my list of things to do. A few weeks later I saw the two "dog like creatures" in the ROW on the state road that cuts across the place. I stopped within range and began to go into the problem elimination stance when I got this eerie feeling in my gut. I put up everything and waited a minute or two. Then a jeep - driven by another dog-like creature - and her neanderthal looking cohort pulls up and picks up the dog-like creatures. They are still on my "to-do list" but I am sure glad I didn't do them that day. It was already ugly enough but I'm sure it would have gotten wretchedly ugly had I squeezed one off. :nod:

Had the same feeling last year when I saw the neighbors Corriente bull breeding on of my partners cows. Wish I had shot him then. Pretty sure he is the father of my new calf. May try that 17MachII on his testicular region before the summer is over.

SANDTRAP":3ixbagi2 said:
i need a rifle to carry with me for general varmit control
i have an sks and a mini 14
but both have a very loud report so the neighbors are always wanting to know what i'm shooting at.
so i'd like to get something with a little more stealth.
any recommendations?
Both the Hornet and the Remington 22-250 are very good rifles for keeping things quiet. But I would tell your neighbors not to worry too much, as long as your not shooting at them! :nod: :lol:

On a serious note. It's not a bad idea to do a fair amount of shooting on a regular basis. If you do, it doesn't make such a big deal when the neighbors hear gunshots. There's les chance they will drop everything and go see if their doglike companion has developed lead poisining.

What kind of range are you looking at?
I also agree with 3waycross if they are use to hearing shots they will quit asking ?.
Now I can't believe you'd shoot a bull in his daddy parts for doing the natural thing a bull does.Maybe it would be more productive to shoot the owner or at least kick him in his daddy parts.Really I don't know what i'd do in that situation i'f you was lucky he might be a better bull.Years ago had a neighber shoot a guys bull in the same area as you suggested I asked why he did it when the other bull was alot better than his .He didn't see the funny in it.

Latest posts