22 Hours till turkey season

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Tommorow morning is opening day. Tukeys seem to be so abundant I don't know where to begin the season. Will probably be calling for my son. Maybe we will be eating fried turkey nuggets Saturday night.

What are you going to shoot the turkeys with? Are you bow hunters, shotgun, rifle?

I'll use a shotgun with whatever shells I can dig out of a box. I think I have some 3 inch 4's somewhere and maybe a few 2x4's. I have to get the stuff together tonight. I don't think its legal to shoot them with a rifle. Don't bow hunt so don't know about that either.

Our big flocks have split up into many smaller groups. I saw three groups today each with at least 4 hens. They are calling good too. Don't know if I will be able to do any good but I'm gonna try. Good luck.

Season's off to a good start. I called these within 20 yards this morning.

IMG_3283.jpg

What length spurs does the one on the right have? Is that good calling or just dumb turkeys?That is what I tell people when they wish me luck "don't need luck just dumb turks".Congrads.

I never measured the spurs but they were about average for our birds. Maybe an inch and half but no more. Probably wasn't due to the calling just dumb luck cause we had a hen between us and the gobblers and they passed her up and came on in. It got quite and I peaked over some bushes and realized they were already right on us. She pucked but the gobblers didn't heed her warning and kept coming in. I guess Angie can use this as a prime example of why men should listen to women. ;-) :lol2:

Jogeephus":nk6rxwz3 said:
I never measured the spurs but they were about average for our birds. Maybe an inch and half but no more. Probably wasn't due to the calling just dumb luck cause we had a hen between us and the gobblers and they passed her up and came on in. It got quite and I peaked over some bushes and realized they were already right on us. She pucked but the gobblers didn't heed her warning and kept coming in. I guess Angie can use this as a prime example of why men should listen to women. ;-) :lol2:

Them two tom's was probably saying, "I wish that ole hen would shut up, she's always babbling about something being wrong. I wonder what is is this time."
annoyed.gif

Course that ole hen could have been thinking watch this: "Come on boys. Hurry up. I'm going to get the last word in this time for sure. See that's what you get for listening to me. Now what did you go and do that for?"
icon_twisted.gif

I'm a firm believer that if they are going to come in it doesn't matter what you sound like .When they lock up that is where you'd better fine tune your calling.Course i've heard some mighty sick hens in the woods so the real thing isn't always pretty either.

rusty":9dleiftt said:
I'm a firm believer that if they are going to come in it doesn't matter what you sound like .When they lock up that is where you'd better fine tune your calling.Course i've heard some mighty sick hens in the woods so the real thing isn't always pretty either.

:lol2: :lol2: My sentiments exactly. I once heard a trespasser and decided to catch him. His calling was pathetic. She flew off when I got about 50 yards from her. :oops: :lol2:

Jogeephus":1hdn0hv7 said:
rusty":1hdn0hv7 said:

:lol2: :lol2: My sentiments exactly. I once heard a trespasser and decided to catch him. His calling was pathetic. She flew off when I got about 50 yards from her. :oops: :lol2:
I did the exact same thing a few yrs ago I just knew it was someone who didn't even know what a turk sounded like

ours haven't split yet good thing our season doesn't open til April 20th

youth season is April 4th

That's good hunting. Do you make feeding sounds, gobble or what? :? I mean when your hunting turkeys :shock: :oops: ;-)
How do you cook turkey?

There are several calls you can make to let them know you are "hot" or have something interesting to eat then there is one call that will send them running to the hill. The hard part is that in nature the hen normally comes to the gobbler so you have to overcome this challenge. To me, the biggest challenge is getting the gobbler to come to me before a hen gets to him.

We only eat the breast. I like it fried in strips. Its delicious and one bird will provide at least three meals for the family.

We only eat the breast. I like it fried in strips. Its delicious and one bird will provide at least three meals for the family.[/quote]

Fried in butter salt and pepper.We stay on this subject I may have to start poaching.

rusty":3ukxz930 said:
We only eat the breast. I like it fried in strips. Its delicious and one bird will provide at least three meals for the family.

Fried in butter salt and pepper.We stay on this subject I may have to start poaching.[/quote]

I'll have to try that. BTW, I got a huge tom patterned. Have given his schedule to my son and have given him a deadline on it. If he doesn't get him shortly - and by this I mean just get his sorry butt out of bed and sit himself down by a certain tree before 7:30 am - I'm going to take the bird myself. He is a nice one and his beard is dragging the ground.

What would you guys do? No season for turkeys here. My ranch flock is 60 some hens and chicks and at least a dozen big toms hanging out together.
Would Y'all practice some management?

mnmtranching":v562pjqf said:
What would you guys do? No season for turkeys here. My ranch flock is 60 some hens and chicks and at least a dozen big toms hanging out together.
Would Y'all practice some management?

I'll have to think about this a bit. I kinda smell politics in your neck of the woods which I think have no place in wildlife management. Let me reply with another question. Do you think I'm going to pay the $50 license fee to harvest a gator on my own land?

Latest posts