22 Hours till turkey season

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll have to try that. BTW, I got a huge tom patterned. Have given his schedule to my son and have given him a deadline on it. If he doesn't get him shortly - and by this I mean just get his sorry butt out of bed and sit himself down by a certain tree before 7:30 am - I'm going to take the bird myself. He is a nice one and his beard is dragging the ground.[/quote]

Don't think i'd give him much time on that

Jogeephus":3iednnlx said:
mnmtranching":3iednnlx said:
What would you guys do? No season for turkeys here. My ranch flock is 60 some hens and chicks and at least a dozen big toms hanging out together.
Would Y'all practice some management?

I'll have to think about this a bit. I kinda smell politics in your neck of the woods which I think have no place in wildlife management. Let me reply with another question. Do you think I'm going to pay the $50 license fee to harvest a gator on my own land?

Agreed. :D
grannysoo":3iednnlx said:
Even the turkeys around here know it's turkey season. Amazing how they can just "vanish"
overnight.

Got the same problem around here every year told the DNR to quit giving them a copy of the season deer also.

Only been twice and got skunked once. I saw the big one today standing in the field with his beard dragging the ground. It was pouring rain. I looked down at the 22-250 and thought for a moment. I'm going to get this bird. Hopefully this weekend if its not raining. He is nice.

Just thought i'd let you know had 3 long beards in yard this morning puffed up like 55gal drums.Also had 4 other jakes with them.Looking forward to season to open :D

P1000816.jpg

Here's a njce tom a friend of mine got. He wanted me to take his picture with it.
It would have looked better taken in the woods where he bagged it like Jo's pic,
but he brought it up to the house. Fried turkey breast strips are very good! :D

That's a nice bird there. Turkeys have been kinda tight lipped here lately with the cloudy days. I quit going. With the pretty weather I might best give it another shot.

Jo, that's the same thing my friend was saying- the birds were close mouthed. He had been here 2 or 3 days last week with no luck. I talked to him last Wednesday and he was telling me about the problem, but he said there was one place he hadn't tried and wouldn't try- It was around where I had dragged and left a dead cow about 2 weeks ago. He said turkeys were roosting near and walking right past that cow but he couldn't stomach sitting anywhere near there. Thursday morning he called and asked me to take his picture- said he'd gotten the bird where he said he wouldn't go- close to where the dead cow was. :lol2:

Sounds like a true turkey hunter to me.Got youth day coming up sat. will try to talk one in for the kids then monday is my turn.Last sunday had 3 talking behind my house and went out the road to inlaws and saw one strutting his stuff through the field.Can't wait. :banana:

ga. prime":3e3o8j3m said:
same thing my friend was saying- the birds were close mouthed. He had been here 2 or 3 days last week with no luck. I talked to him last Wednesday and he was telling me about the problem

Biologically its called gonadal recrudescence. Ecofreaks and such would have us believe the birds are singing cause they are happy when in fact they are just horny as all get out. This is brought on by some physical and environmental conditions. This is why - I believe - that turkeys will shut up on cloudy days. Same with song birds. But get one of those bluebird mornings and listen to the songs. :nod:

My son took my advice today and did pretty good for himself. I think he regrets killing the jake but I know how the excitement of the moment can be. I'll overlook the jake if he will. ;-)

IMG_3459.jpg

Jogeephus":3qw78t5k said:
Ecofreaks and such would have us believe the birds are singing cause they are happy when in fact they are just horny as all get out. This is brought on by some physical and environmental conditions. This is why - I believe - that turkeys will shut up on cloudy days. Same with song birds. But get one of those bluebird mornings and listen to the songs. :nod:
Your theory makes good sense to me! Nice work by your son getting the two birds.