215# calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Any chance you can link to the original post? My friend showed me screenshots of it but couldn't link to the original post no matter what we tried.
I posted it in the group Commercial beef cattle on FB and tagged Hillsdown since she had that 168 lb whopper a few years back

Nesikep":2cqaki74 said:
Any chance you can link to the original post? My friend showed me screenshots of it but couldn't link to the original post no matter what we tried.
I posted it in the group Commercial beef cattle on FB and tagged Hillsdown since she had that 168 lb whopper a few years back
https://www.facebook.com/Fort-Morgan-Ve ... Ul1Z8pnRJM

True Grit Farms":15n3kux7 said:
Simmental or Limousine? That calf is bigger than most Angus at weaning.
My guess is none of the aforementioned breeds, but club calf. There is pretty much no way I would breed a heifer to any of them. I also wouldn't let a cow of any age bred to a clubby bull go that far over a due date....it's just asking for trouble!

I same problem I had with the links my friend sent, I just can't see it!.. who knows why

I bet that cow didn't get any exercise.. I find that's a common cause of going overdue, though genetics also plays a role.. I've had a few go up to 302 days, but they didn't have monstrous calves

It's a cause of breeder stupidity. On the original post it said full flush, full throttle, and sugar ray for blood lines. There was a reason those cattle got left in the 80 and 90s back then they wanted them big and 150 pound calves weren't uncommon not to mention you needed a ladder to clip their backs.

I think the calf was close to 3 weeks overdue too, so that has something to do with it for sure too.. and in the last bit of gestation the calf is doing a lot of growing.. Yeah, it was probably going to be big anyhow, but perhaps not like this!

Latest posts