21 days post partum, cow has vaginal discharge

Help Support CattleToday:

kcwaldrop

Reaction score
My then heifer gave birth to a large calf on 4/7. We had to pull the calf and the cow was paralyzed on the rt side for a few hours. She never nursed the baby. She seems to have recovered, bag is going down and she seems like she is always hungry. She hasnt been bred. Yesterday, she was running to the barn in front of me and a fair amount of a white/yellowish thick gloop came flying from her vagina! Forgive the gruesome details, but there was no smell and no evidence that anymore has come out today. Is this normal? If not, what intervention does she need and can i do it myself? Her calf has cost me over $800 in vet bills and we lost him anyway.

Yellow and white is okay at only twenty one days. It means she's recovering by herself. If her appitite is that good then she'll pick up and clean herself up just fine.
I personally would ship her but that's for you and a pencil to sit down and discuss.

policy in this herd would be to leave another two - three weeks then treat for metritis if she still has it. Given the difficult calving there's a good chance this one won't clear up on its own.