21-0-0-24 Use?

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Found some of this (Ammonium Sulphate?) at a local Sutherlands. They have it for $10.88/50 lb bag. I tried to call the extension service for advice on what effect the Sulfur would have, but they were "out of the office", so I thought I'd try you guys.

It's used on "Alkaline" soils to lower the PH.

Don't use it on low ph ground or you may have to buy a limestone mine to get it back in balance. :lol:

Jogeephus":r8n70l46 said:
Your money would be better spent on lime than N.

Joo is absolutely correct, if your PH is not right, you are wasting some of your money on fertlizer. The link below explains this better than I or Joo could explain. That why I will be spending my next money on lime to get ready for next years haying season.

http://www.modernforage.com/Planting_Soil_Fertility.html

This may be the same Ammonium Sulphate used to mix in spray tanks to enhance the effect of herbicides. I just used some for the first time on the recommendation of a commercial applicator trying to kill some honey locust that he did not want to spray himself. The mix he suggested seems to be working well.

I'm in south central Ok.When I moved here I mixed fertilizer for a few mounths for something to do.We mixed alot of a 39-0-0-6s which is about 75% 46-0-0 and 25% 21-0-0-24s and another blend that was 28-?-?-8s.We also sold alot of pellitized lime hmmm.Some guys thought it was the greatest thing,but when I asked the Noble foundation about it they said it was a waste of money.

Jogeephus":f86tvgvn said:
Your money would be better spent on lime than N.

Yeah, I'm in the middle of the "liming" process right now. I needed so much lime, I'm going to do it in annual increments instead of dumping 3 tons/acre at one time :shock:

ERNIBIGB":gpykeho1 said:
This may be the same Ammonium Sulphate used to mix in spray tanks to enhance the effect of herbicides. I just used some for the first time on the recommendation of a commercial applicator trying to kill some honey locust that he did not want to spray himself. The mix he suggested seems to be working well.

How would that help a herbicide? Would the N speed up the intake of the herb?

Arkieman":3pr4aydy said:
ERNIBIGB":3pr4aydy said:

How would that help a herbicide? Would the N speed up the intake of the herb?

No.

Using Ammonium Sulfate in Roundup is usually in cases of hard water problems.

The Calcium content of a plant can also lessen the effectiveness of Roundup and the "AS" would/might sometimes help alleviate that situation.

The "AS" used for these purposes is different from the average fertilizer grade "AS".

Latest posts