2024 summer garden..

Help Support CattleToday:

Got a good rain last night and helped the garden already. I just got the tomatoes stuck, suckered and sprayed for disease so they ought to grow. I reduced my garden down this year as I have a lot left over.

ejtEENR.jpg

s97k1tV.jpg

yJKwMGV.jpg

fkw07Jv.jpg

0HX0xkI.jpg

I7sdY8h.jpg
Dang nice looking garden. With all the rain we are having a tough time keeping up with the weeds

Corn, pumpkin, purple beans, beets, green pep, jalapeno and habenero, cucumbers, sweet peas, lettuce, tomatoes and spices of course.
We buy Mississippi sweets for $12 a case local grocery. Starters cost more...
This is my flooded end. Not one watermelon came up, bummer!

Envy your garden pics J, Very nice!
Would like to plant more, but cows eat grass...

Attachments

• 20240604_095547.jpg
    20240604_095547.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 9
I planted early and probably too much nitrogen from litter stuff boomed ... I can't cultivate anymore lol

Attachments

• 20240606_203817.jpg
    20240606_203817.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240606_203844.jpg
    20240606_203844.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240606_203759.jpg
    20240606_203759.jpg
    681.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240606_203812.jpg
    20240606_203812.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240606_203746.jpg
    20240606_203746.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240606_203734.jpg
    20240606_203734.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240606_203731.jpg
    20240606_203731.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 8
Corn tasseling already, highest corn I see here is about 18 inches tall in the fields...many are way ahead of me because I had a huge brush pile in the garden to burn.... but it is plowed and started planting... tomatoes and peppers in, started with some other stuff. Hope to get the rest in, in the next week... It will be late coming along but we are ahead of things on hay making so it will balance out.

Garden looks GREAT. I am not into all the perfect rows... mine will be getting mulched as fast as I can...

Skyhightree I thought I was early, but you have corn tasseling already. A lot of your garden looks like it is already being harvested. Your pepper looks good and not far from producing.

I have another garden I put peppers in that is my mother's (she is 88) as they do better in it. Here it is as it is just out from my garden. Everything seems to be doing good except for the peanuts and they didn't come up.

2nwXcVA.jpg

Had a devil of a time getting peas, cukes, squash, carrots and okra to germinate this year. Neighbors report the same thing.

We had that problem last year, same list! Our cucumbers and peas are in tubs this year. Doing much better. We gave up on carrots and squash this year.

I was as late as I have ever been in getting it planted. But it is in the ground. Yesterday I had corn, cukes, and squash come up. The rest will start popping out of the ground the next couple days.

See I have corn on the way. The cukes and squash are up good. So are the onions. Three green beans have popped out of the ground and one potato. In a month or so I can take a picture of a green garden like the rest of you.

P6263160.JPG

@Dave ... mine looks alot like yours.....I was very late getting my garden going due to a huge brush pile that needed burning... and then with us in hay I was sometimes too tired to work it, and temps have been record high for June here. But, I have some things in, green beans and squash up and almost ready to flower.....and putting in more now... Got half of it redone, with a tiller on a neighbors tractor, yesterday, and hope to get it planted within the next couple of days. Worked 2 hours before the hot sun came over the tree tops across the road... it was nearly 87 by 9 a.m....
So, don't feel like the red headed step child... I look at @jltrent and others and say.... oh well.... I am taking pictures now and will after it is all mulched.... and then when it is really up and producing...
On top of it we are in Moderate drought conditions... just got a pop up, wind blowing, downpour for a few minutes and hope we get some more later tonight... but it has been so hot and dry that things have been slow to come up. So, it looks a little sad except where it is well mulched and I ran soaker hoses on some of it, once, to help with the germination...

Wow, what amazing food factories you people have got going. It is a weird weather year in SW Oregon. The mimosa and the redbud trees never even bloomed. A lot of rain caused the pasture grass to grow like crazy. I was busy nurse-maiding 40 table grape vines, 7 varieties I grew from dormant cuttings. I set these out as 2 year old vines but never started any vegetable plants in flats indoors this year.

I did that last year and seems like it didn't make any difference anyway. It seems has to do with soil temperature. Planted my heat loving veg seeds , Kentucky Wonder beans, squash, mustard greens, chard, & peppers and tomato plants. They all sat there then took off when it was warm enough. I've also got 2 berry patches going, Everbearing strawberries and Boysenberries. This is the first year the boysen vines have flora canes, the second year canes that bear fruit just like grapes. If they don't get watered and fertilized timely the boysen berries are small and seedy like Texas dewberries. Most boysens are red and fat now.

The strawberry first wave came in and I put 10 lbs chopped and sugared in the freezer. This from a 4'x8' strawberry patch started from crowns last year. Everbearings make 2 main crops per year. In between they produce small strawberries.

I'm really tired and have been focusing mostly on my one cow dairy right now. I never stop moving from 6:30 am to 9 pm feeding, milking, cleaning up and sanitizing 9 bottles a day for 3 times fed heifer calves, the pots, jugs, the milking machine and the dinner dishes plus the crops. One good thing I have lost a whole lot of weight.
100_2526.JPG
100_2537.JPG
Check out the cream line.

Last edited:

Latest posts